[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dropping out of uni UK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1479832819909.jpg (78KB, 935x502px) Image search: [Google]
1479832819909.jpg
78KB, 935x502px
i've decided to drop out of my degree in classics and philosophy and start from the bottom of a career in the food industry

is this a bad idea?
having a degree in liberal arts has the same job prospects as no degree and i'd rather have years worth of experience in a craft which can be made use of in any country

i thought it's better to drop out now than in a years time when i'd end up with more debt and nothing to show for it
>>
finish your degree you idiot.. which uni
>>
>>1631005
it's the fist term of the first year
university of leeds
>>
https://youtu.be/kXpwAOHJsxg
>>
>>1630998
You live in the UK. how much debt could you possibly have? fuck off stop being lazy.
>>
>>1631007
Don't drop out. You will fuck your life up. Even McDonald's these days ask for a college degree.

See if you can change your course in the same university but whatever you do DONT DROP OUT. It'll just give employers the impression that you are a quitter.
>>
>>1631007
decent uni finish it
>>
File: 1442817133563.jpg (30KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1442817133563.jpg
30KB, 460x345px
Try and transfer and get some sort of culinary degree or food tech degree or nutrition or something.

The food industry is brutal, and you need something to put you out ahead of all the other twats that fall into it or you will be working in some shitty pub for the rest of your life.

Have you ever worked in a kitchen before? As a pot washer? Or even as a waiter or something?
>>
The food industry sucks major balls and the pay is low, try it part time before you drop out. With your meme degree you could probably get an office job getting paid twice as much to do almost nothing
>>
>>1631052
9000 p/y

>>1631056
>>1631057
>>1631058
i realised i have no desire to get a degree and would rather work hard in a field which i'd like to go down than banging my head against the wall for a degree i don't even want
i understand that university would be good for vocation specific degrees and with a goal in mind but i think i chose to go to university to fill my time whilst i decide what i want to do with my life which seems like a waste
in that time i could be getting solid work experience, start saving money to fall back on and avoid debt where possible
>>
File: 1479850017795.jpg (59KB, 846x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479850017795.jpg
59KB, 846x1024px
I just dropped out of my uni in my 2nd year after failing too many courses, too many teacher strikes and not wanting to do 2 hours of commuting every day.

My mom announced shortly after she wants me out of the house.

I'm not sure I regret it yet. It feels bad being 26 and still being such a failure that now I have nothing, but everyone else seems to be on the same boat.
>>
If you can sell yourself and are personable you can manage without a degree. It'll just help a lot. Don't go into the food industry. If you're dropping out, go into sales.
>>
>>1630998
University is only worth it in two cases:
>STEM
You enjoy it, are good at it and want a job in the field. It will pay well, you will be able to make it through the hard study and you'll enjoy your work
>Business/Economics, Medicine, Law
Those are not STEM but you simply need a degree to get into those fields if you truly want to.

Anything else is bullshit, especially in countrys where you have to pay and are in debt after graduating. If you want a career in the food industry learn a trade as a cook.
>>
>>1630998
Switch to something else if you can. STEM or business/economics. Then do whatever the hell you want, at least you will have college/university degree as a plan B in life.
>>
>>1630998
if you are going to be a chef go and train to be a chef. there are too many self-taught chefs and self-taught is a meme that really means untrained. i dropped out of uni and became a chef and the lack of training i had was a hindrance. i knew how to do the things i knew, but i had holes in my knowledge.

if you can get an apprenticeship, do that, otherwise go to culinary school/college. find a job in the best restaurant you can. don't work in a boil in bag chain. you can get hired in a hotel if you are chef college and work at the weekends, hotels are always short of staff, that's if you aren't able to work p/t in a good restaurant.

travel and eat food. try to work abroad after you finish chef college, maybe even if it is just a season in a ski chalet where you have menu control and a decent food budget.

i moved away from cheffing because the lifestyle sucked. service was good fun and a buzz on a good night, but it is a job that means you won't have a normal life.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.