[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the verdict on tipping?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0918.jpg (23KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0918.jpg
23KB, 180x240px
What's the verdict on tipping?
>>
>>1627934
People who got tips in their life, tip.
People who never got tips in their life, don't tip.
>>
Unless the service is really bad, tip.

The persons already in service job, don't make there life any worse.
>>
>>1627944

Dubs so can confirm
>>
>>1627934
I tip when I can because I feel morally obligated to, but it shouldn't be the end of the world when I cant (e.g. I want a pizza but I dont have spare change for a tip and its a place like Dominos where they dont let you write the tip in when you sign the receipt). You chose to sign the contract to work service. I never signed a contract to tip. I do it because I want to, and the second someone says its something I have to do is when I stop tipping.
>>
>>1627944

This

>Never really tipped
>Worked delivery for one summer
>started tipping $5 or didn't order at all

Feels weird mane
>>
Walking plates of food 30 feet ain't worth shit. They should be paid more by the restaurant owners.
>>
>>1627934
I'd rather just pay higher prices, so the business can pay it's employees a decent wage.

So glad they do that here in the UK. Tipping is 100% optional, and reserved only for good service.
It also means I don't have to have cash on hand constantly. Delivery drivers don't need to carry cash; they just deliver pre-paid food.

Old people still insist on tipping tiny amounts, though. Justifying it with 'I wouldn't be alive without you people delivering groceries to me', and 'go buy yourself a coffee or something'.
Thanks to the way the company works, though, it got me breakfast for a day.
>>
>>1627934
Jewish Scam.
>>
Pizza delivery driver here, I don't get upset when somebody doesn't tip, I go off my average for the day, when I'm making $50-150 in cash other than the minimum wage I already get, I don't really miss your $1-5.

I like to see it as I make 7.75 (gotten raises) an hour, I work a 6 hour shift and make $80 in tips, which is a good average for me because I work in a big store with little competition, $46.50 for 6 hours of wages + $80 = 126.50, divide that by hours worked and I'm making $21 an hour, the place I work for also pays for my gas and I get discounts on tires and $10 oil changes from the small biz down the street because I've arranged advertisement for them, so kind of like a sponsor.

ama.
>>
>>1628729
>Pizza delivery driver here, I don't get upset when somebody doesn't tip, I go off my average for the day, when I'm making $50-150 in cash other than the minimum wage I already get, I don't really miss your $1-5.

I'm guessing you only feel this way since you don't deliver in a black neighborhood.

Try working in a city like St Louis or Clayton.

Delivering in black cities cuts your total take home by about 30%, compared to when I used to deliver at Collinsville.
>>
>>1628756
Mostly white southern city here, although we do have poor mexican neighborhoods, but we don't accept food stamps so we don't go there often.

I can also make an extra $100+ a day if I find a cash order that doesn't have coupons applied, slap some random coupons on it and charge the customer what they originally thought they were paying,

>Example
>2 large clusterfuck topping pizzas $34
>Use coupon for $10 any pizza makes it $20
>Pocket $14
I do it when I can, but sometimes I'll be too busy to stop and fuck with the order system.
>>
If they already have a charge for delivery on the bill, I don't tip. If I go to a buffet and all a waiter does is show me the table, I don't tip.
>>
>>1628770
My store charges a $2 delivery charge that I only get $1.25 from, the rest goes to "insurance" I also never see.
>>
Adding two dollars to a bad tip to make it a good tip adds far more value than two dollars spent off the menu. Because the server will love you and remember you and might comp you a drink or pour it heavy.

Fundamentally if you're eating out you're already paying way more than you should for what you're getting so it's nonsensical to short the person who's actually adding value

This assumes good service
>>
>>1627934
I like it. I wish more service jobs would let me determine the appropriate amount to pay for the service i received after overhead was deducted
>>
>>1627954
I think there's a moral argument for tipping and the concept benefits you (the consumer), thus a pragmatic argument also exists
>>
>>1628892
How the hell does adding an arbitrary charge on top of the agreed cost of the goods/services benefit the consumer? The argument that goes "well it encourages good service" implies the lazy minimum wage cunts are withholding what they're capable of (and should be doing as standard) and only get their butts into gear when money gets flashed, I.e. it's a socially accepted form of extortion.
>>
I always tip for pizza deliveries.
I always throw my change or a few bucks into the tip jar at my local donut shop and ice cream parlors.
I refuse to tip at a sit down restaurant since I would have never been able to do the job myself since I used to have extreme social anxiety when I had to talk to someone else. If they are a waiter then they were lucky enough not to be born like me so fuck them, they aren't getting shit.
>>
>>1628795
i was at a store that charged almost 4$ and you only got 1.10 from while gas was 4$ lmao
>>
I wish America got rid of tipping, but I tip because that's just how people get paid in the service industry. It's literally a part of the law in minimum wage adjustment.

At the same time though, service when I went to Europe and many parts of Asia was fuck all. They literally forgot you existed once you got your food. Tipping is also not unheard of out of America, just not particularly for food. Natives tip for taxis, shaves, stuff like that pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>1627954
I work at domino's and you can put tip on the receipt, where are you that you cannot do that?
>>
i work for grubhub
i delivered some food today including a hot chocolate that i didn't know about
i smashed the food into my bag and half the hot cocoa spilled in the bag
i delivered it to this lady and held the bag strategically so she couldn't see
she tipped me 5 bucks
this should tell you why tipping is retarded
>>
>>1629293
her fault for not checking before tipping
>>
tipping is literally the product of lobbying. there's no good reason why it should exist and it's an idiotic practice. it benefits nobody but the business owners.

fuck dude some restaurants even try to withhold tips because their employees are too legally illiterate to realize they're literally being robbed,
>>
>>1627958
then you'll have to pay higher prices on all menu items, in turn giving a higher dollar amount for the same percentage to the owner himself
>>
>>1627958
u get it
>>
>>1627934
Only tip doggos
>>
>tipping

Bahaha! I laugh!

If no one tipped then the restaurant owner would just have to pay the difference. And it wouldnt even put that big a dent in profits, so I doubt anyone would raise prices. But then again >jews
>>
It should be noted that unless you tip some ridiculous amount, no one is going to give a shit. And even then you'll just be that idiot that gave a 50 dollar tip for coffee because your a beta or some shit
>>
>>1627934
As far as I know, tipping doesn't really correlate well with quality of service across many service industries at all.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/everything-dont-know-tipping.html

The "About the Stats" section is a good starting point to learn more about how tips can be determined by many uncontrollable (job title, demographics, being the opposite sex, etc.) and controllable factors (leaving candies as a waiter, touching your customer, smelling good, etc.)

Finally, it should be mentioned that while the US apparently spends ~$40 billion on tipping annually, which is more than most EU nations proportionally spend, many workers still don't make enough to survive on account of some states keeping subminimum wages ($2 - $5/day) with little recourse if the boss decides he wants to skim a little bonus for that last week.

By no means a final answer, but something to consider.
>>
It's a retarded practice perpetuated by the comically evil national restaurant association to keep costs down

For the consumer, it means that food prices are artificially kept low since you have to tack on 20% extra to your bill

It should be outlawed
>>
>>1627934
I tip the pizza guys, because I'm not leaving the house to get pizza.

I tip at the burger joint, because I don't have to order -they know me - and I don't want the 2.34 in change.

otherwise, eh if I feel like it.
>>
File: 1476049747946.jpg (6KB, 231x244px) Image search: [Google]
1476049747946.jpg
6KB, 231x244px
This tipping?
>>
I wouldn't mind tipping so much if women weren't so buttblasted by it.

>With a group of women.
>"Omg we need to tip"
>Everyone starts pulling out their tip apps
>No one can fucking figure out 10-20% of an amount in their head
>If you are paying, they are super grateful you, but you better fucking tip tho

Don't fucking worry about if I wanna or don't wanna tip. Also laws dictate you get the difference if you don't make minimum wage.
>>
File: no.jpg (57KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
57KB, 500x667px
>>1628674
>Delivery drivers don't need to carry cash; they just deliver pre-paid food

This may surprise you, but not only do far too many people still pay cash at the door for their food, but even more people still order their food by phone.

>mfw i get calls from people using a smartphone every single day
>mfw they looked up what they thought was the closest store instead of using the website
>mfw people on hold for a long time drive down to the store to show us their "on hold" call and bitch instead of using their device to place an online order
>>
>giving someone money even thought you don't have to
You're all cucks, learn how to play the capitalistic game. We don't live in a world of free handouts.
>>
>>1629797
This desu.

I tip to get rid of change or if it's a place I go to often to avoid my meal taking two hours.
>>
>>1628830
>you are already overpaying by eating out
>so just spend even more
This ass backwards logic always baffled me and makes me the asshole at the party.
>>
Whenever waitresses allowed themselves to be payed less than minimum or in some cases not at all by their employees because they were making so much in tips, they pretty much cucked themselves. The dumb niggers should be fighting to receive a flat rate like any other job, and any extra tips they make is thier own got damn business. But no the idiots hop on the tip shammer bandwagon instead, further just fucking themselves.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.