[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/. I am not entirely sure this is the correct place to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: LH0Y8cE.jpg (92KB, 1599x1199px) Image search: [Google]
LH0Y8cE.jpg
92KB, 1599x1199px
Hey /biz/. I am not entirely sure this is the correct place to ask, but if anyone on this website has extensive college/education knowledge, it'd be /biz/. So I figured I'd toss my question out here for anyone willing to answer.

Here's my situation.
TL;DR: Failed first two high school years miserably, almost perfect grades in last two years.

I didn't do well in high school, I'll spare you the details, but in short life got in the way. I failed my freshman and sophomore years miserably. Due to the circumstances of my living situation during those years, I didn't have the time to attend. Failed every class and had an average GPA of about 0.4. During my Junior and Senior years, I was in a much more stable situation and was able to actually attend my classes albeit at a secondary high school. For those two years, I had a GPA of 3.9. For both of those years, I had phenomenal testing scores, with no less than a 95% on any of the state tests that we were periodically given. My scores during the last two years were the highest in the school, and had bumped up the school average by 2-3% (The secondary high school). However, due to my lack of attendance during the first two years, I simply didn't have enough credits to graduate. I ended up getting my GED and have just been working since.

I am now 20 years old, and have discovered for certain what it is that I want to do in my life, and that is mechanical engineering. My question to you is if I were to take college prerequisites at say a community college and passed those with a similar GPA to my last two years in high school, would I be able to get into a reputable college for my engineering education? Or am I fucked?

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>1627879
I don't see why not, just write a bullshit essay that explains why you failed, they'll eat it up
>>
>>1627879
Absolutely. College admissions has become a more holistic process. If you really thrive at the CC then you will not have problems transferring to a 4 year college.

Congratulations on pursuing Mech. E, a word of warning however: engineering is difficult to learn, and you will most likely have a hard time. This is good, because it means that the amount of crappy engineers is reduced somewhat. Study hard, learn as much as you can, and find something that interests you.
>>
>>1627879
Colleges love to see progress. Your GPA was so bad that you can give them any story you wish to make them impressed with your determination and ability to overcome adverse odds.

You could submit only your GPA for the final years as long as you can interpret directions in such a way that it's allowable (or note somewhere on your application that it's only last two years). I think it's reasonable if you explain in the next steps of the process that 1) a councilor/ mentor gave you this advice to get your foot in the door 2) the last two years are representative of who you've matured into 3) acknowledge that it was a questionable action to undertake. Then position yourself as coming clean which segues into your story of triumph.

I had a similar situation, but couldn't take perspective to best approach my applications, still got into an OK school though
>>
>>1629321
cont.

And if i had to do it again I'd definitely do all my gen ed classes at a community college to avoid the costs. Just make sure the credits are transferable to whatever schools you want to go to.
>>
>>1627879
You dont even have to worry about high school grades/gpa if you got to a community college and transfer. Just do really well like you did in your last two years of high school.
>>
>>1627879
Take a drafting course. Get a job doing CAD or something like that.

The reason I say that is because this will be on your path to a BSME, so no loss. But I doubt you truly love Mechanical Engineering because nobody does. It's fucking boring. And like all jobs, your days will be filled with 90% bullshit and 10% actual engineering. So why spend all that money for a BS degree when your day to day life will be exactly the same with an AA degree.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.