[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ISP Marketing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: nbnlogo.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
nbnlogo.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
Hey biz

So 2 years ago I founded a startup ISP based in Australia. Basically, we spent 18 months building a layer2 network so we could sell really really really good home internet via the NBN, however, we charge a premium fee for our services. We push it as a quality over quantity style product.

My question relates back to marketing, We have a great team of engineers and a small group of clients who are mostly friends and friends of friends, however, we have stopped growing on word of mouth alone, We are running profitably which has been a challenge but is starting to slowly pay off, however, we still lack a marketing budget(or above minimum wage for any of our staff which has to be priority 1 at this stage) so my 2 questions are as follows.

1, How do we turn a great product that everyone wants but most are not willing to pay for into a great company without investing huge amounts of money in marketing?

2, If we were to offer uncapped commission incentives- say $20 for every new client and $5 per month every month for 12 months after that would this be good incentive to get motivated marketing and sales staff in the door seeing as we cannot pay them without them assisting us making large numbers of sales.

I will post a link to our website if requested.

Cheers

>note for those wondering
Australia has huge residential internet problems due to high wholesale and low retail prices- Google "NBN CVC" for more info
>>
>>1626182

First up, post a link to your website.

In terms of marketing if your business is as good as you say it is, it will continue to grow via word-of-mouth but it will take time and I know that's stating the obvious.

If you don't want to get a loan to do some real advertising (eg. radio, social media, TV, etc.) then your options are pretty limited. But what you have to do first is have a good website before you go telling everyone you exist. Bad/not user friendly websites can kill even the best business ideas.

Low/no cost marketing ideas.
1. Cold calling businesses. I know it's not attractive but if the other option is your business going under...
Businesses are easier to call than individual people because you can easily get their phone numbers. Only old people have their phone number publicly listed in the phonebook.

2.Postal flyer drops.

3.Get a stand in the CBD and hand out flyers or tell people about your business. (Assuming that you operate out of a Capital City)

4.Door knocking. Again doesn't sound nice but even Telstra does it in rural areas.

These are the ideas I have off the top of my head but like I said, unless you to pay for good marketing, your options are pretty limited.
>>
>>1626182
Three questions before I can help:
1. Explain to me in less than a sentence how having NBN will improve my quality of life compared to my current broadband service?
2. Who is your customer? Like give me lifestyle, income, if they have kids etc. and what they are using the internet for. Preferably even a specific suburb or what car they drive.
3. How are you different to other NBN providers?
>>
improve SEO and an aggressive traffic building content marketing strategy are free and will return the best traffic over time compared to paid, short-term lead generation
>>
>>1626182
offer 3 months free plans - minus installation cost
>>
>>1626182

I work for a Melbourne based company which provides wireless services and works closely with medium scale ISP's - and have good contacts at the NBN.

I commend you on deciding to enter ISP market however to note it's insanely competitive, the larger companies ie Optus, Telstra, TPG absolutely dominate and kill competition.

Q1 - Marketing is essential - this will be the most essential aspect asides from quality of service that will facilitate growth, you should emphasis this. There is no easy way to grow a user base without marketing, you should scale inline with cash-flow.

2. I work closely with the sales team at my company. You want these people to care about growing the company as it is still young.

Incentives are fantastic for this, they can have a negative impact however if it causes internal infighting ect - a commission based on percentage of sales and revenue will be good for your situation as it would be a much easier method to keep track of performance, it gets messy when using $ (dollar) based figures.

Best of luck mate!
>>
>Miniport.com.au

Honestly, It's a bought template that I spent 3 months reworking. I am very open to suggestions and understand I need to replace the header ASAP as well as a couple of other things to make it consumer friendly.

I have stripped a lot of the "shit" out over the past few weeks. We were offering colo and direct connections to cloud platforms such as AWS and Google Cloud as well as peering networks such as megaport and QLD/NSW IX over NBN with dedicated backhaul but it was confusing the residential clients so we took it out so right now all that that is on offer via the website is "residential NBN".

>>1626251
I have taken note of all things, most have been suggested by friends but the more I hear them the more likely I am to follow up.

>>1626254
1, NBN will allow you to stream 20 1080p Netflix streams at once if that's not an improvement on your quality of life I don't think anything will be

2, I don't think Income, Cars or even suburb really plays into it. One thing I have noticed is that the internet breaks social divides. From our current client pool we have dole blugers and we have millionaires it really think it matters not, however, the main thing we are looking for is IT people and upper-middle-class families with gamer kids and tech savy parents as those are the people who keep buying our products at the moment.

3, Our NBN is "congestion free" and we offer 24/7 Australian based support with network Engineers and not generic entry level lemmings running support.

>>1626273
That would cost us at least $300 per client to deliver when we only profit maybe $250pa off each client in a best case scenario.

>>1626311
Thank you for the advice and kind words, I have taken it onboard. This industry is hell(Thanks Vocus and TPG)
Now you know the company's name feel free to reach out to us if ever you need anything. We love working with other providers.
>>
>>1626182
Probably offer upfront cash rather than long term cash, sales companies are hit n bust in Australia generally. For instance all the solar sales companies in qld are dead as fuck now, the energy sellers of sa are dead, there are a few around but the large surge isnt.
>>
>>1626342
>NBN will allow you to stream 20 1080p Netflix streams at once if that's not an improvement on your quality of life I don't think anything will be
You're a total idiot.
>>
>>1626342
>1, NBN will allow you to stream 20 1080p Netflix streams at once if that's not an improvement on your quality of life I don't think anything will be
Well it's not. You just mentioned a hypothetical situation.

Now, I'll tweak it for you:
>Everyone in your family, even if you have 10 kids, can watch netflix at 1080p without complaining
Although I think TPG have already run a TVC with that premise, so we need to think of any other one.

>IT people and upper-middle-class families with gamer kids and tech savy parents as those are the people who keep buying our products at the moment.
Okay, so instantly I'm thinking - in-store promotion with video game stores, if you're PR savy then maybe sponsoring a video game tournament (maybe even setting up a NBN connection to run the event to show off the "congestion free" capacity).
Now that I know your current customers are Gamer Kids, and tech Savy parents you can start thinking about their routines, when I hear "Tech Savy Parents" I'm wondering where they buy their technology? What stores? Who is recommending that TV, that fitbit, that Bose set up? Then what you do is put YOUR advertising material somewhere in there.
Targeting your advertising so you don't need to blow it all on a scattershot TV commercial.

>3, Our NBN is "congestion free" and we offer 24/7 Australian based support with network Engineers and not generic entry level lemmings running support.
Good. That's very important to know from a marketing perspective.
I instantly see niches you should investigate:
-Medical Imaging professionals
-Video and Film Post-Production (everything from editors, to color-graders, to the composers, the Visual Effects people)
-Architechts and Engineers working with CAD
-Landlords of small apartment blocks or share houses or office properties: keep all their tenants happy.
>>
>>1626182
Silly Q about your busniess why do you charge more for static IP when i can stay with mine that gives me that and cheaper....
>>
Oh, and as a gimmick idea. Maybe it's too cynical:
Installing a prominent, very obvious, very hi-tech looking "box" out the front of someone's house.
I assume NBN is underground, but that doesn't matter. I'm sure there's a lot of vane idiots who will want that little trophy, that little proof that they've upgraded.
>>
Ex Telstra NBN regional manager here.

I've basically only worked sales jobs, telemarketing, door knocking, direct marketing, B2B, retail sales, you name it i've done it.

Also i have a very fluent understanding of NBN's back end and how things work, you've peaked my interest with some things you've said in this post and i'd love to talk to you about a few things but a bit more in-depth than responses over 4chan.

If you're interested i'll drop your website an email, who do i ask for?

Cheers
>>
the texts on your website are a little bit to "techy".
as marketing guy said you should focus on the needs of your customer groups.
communicate in a WHY-WHAT-HOW-scheme.

watch this 18min TED-talk https://youtu.be/u4ZoJKF_VuA
>>
>>1626342

I'm not sure if this is available for the smaller ISP's but another large area of growth is through the Skymuster NBN services for regional Australia - plenty of opportunity there!
>>
>>1626349
I wish we could but upfront cash isn't possible, at least not more than maybe $30 a sale anyway compared to the $80 a sale we can pay out over 12 months.

>>1626351
umad?

>>1626357
I don't even know how to respond to that, you basically just did my job for me. This is the type of dynamic thinking our team needs.

>>1626359
Static IP's are provided by default, I am not sure where you got the extra fee information from. If you can quote the spot
on the website I will change that ASAP.

>>1626361
Nothing is too cynical when it comes to the NBN. Even though I think it is a joke its far from the worst marketing idea I have been pitched in the past month.

>>1626406
Cheers for the link, I will check our the talk.
The techy text was to try and bring techs in as clients but it hasn't really worked as well as I hoped.

>>1626416
We can do skymuster but at this point in time it's far too unstable/requires far too much support time and we are concerned that could impact our entire support queue.

Cheers for all of the replies guys, I am overwhelmed with the wide range of help.
I am off to bed but will check back in the morning.
>>
>>1626406
WHAT

WHY

HOW

Is far more effective
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.