[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT vs Computer Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Programming.jpg (92KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
Programming.jpg
92KB, 850x478px
Associate degree in IT
or
Associate degree in Programming
or
Bachelor in Computer science

I am stuck between a few choices here. I want to get into computers but was wondering which degree would be more valuable for employment/starting a business down the road.
I know that in the IT/ programming sector Experience > education.
But what would be the wiser decision that will give me the best ROI.
>>
>>1625253
Get your AS in Programming then a BS in CompSci.
You'll learn a lot of beneficial shit that puts you above a massive portion of competition (like 80 to 90%) from the associates degree, and you'll be taken seriously from employers with the CS degree.
>>
>>1625264
i was thinking of doing that with IT but i wouldnt be able to transfer the credits. Ill do more research. thanks for that option.
>>
>>1625253
I have question and I ask his here. If I have master's degree in area of Instrumentation Engineer also I can in to programming on Java, can I to find work in countries of North America?
>>
>>1625353
no we are full, sorry.
>>
>>1625356
Even if I am a good engineer and programmer?
>>
>>1625360
ya, full.
>>
>>1625360
Worth the shot to apply but I would refine my English skills first
>>
>>1625360
>good engineer
How can you be a good engineer?
Engineering is a team effort, theres never ONE engineer that handles a project because he's a "good" engineer, it doen not matter how god you think you are, employers see you as just another grad.
>>
>>1625382
So it is right. My English is bad. Also I do not understand your phrase: «Worth the shot to apply». You keep in mind that necessary know value of one shot and decide are shoot or not?
>>
File: .jpg (54KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
54KB, 800x800px
>>1625390
>>
What type of work do you want to do?

Those are 3 vastly different fields.
>>
>>1625453
I don't know desu. I wouldn't mind repairing computers or dealing with servers and stuff. Something that pays well but does not require a lot of independent programming /coding.
>>
If you follow industry trends, you'll quickly realize that Architects and programmers are literally automating thousands of IT jobs and tasks every single day.

A major part of the JOB of the modern architect and software engineers is to automate and eliminate human touch on IT support...

everything is moving towards automation, self deployment, and self healing.

The goal is to only need 1 or 2 highly experienced IT guys to manage your stack instead of 40 pajeets.
>>
>>1625392
>«Worth the shot to apply»
it means you should apply even if the odds are low.

you will likely fail, but you may succeed.
>>
File: .jpg (141KB, 807x669px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
141KB, 807x669px
>>1625529
Okay. Thanks! Take the nyagirl.
>>
>>1625253
As someone who's done both, IT means you're always pretty much going to be support, Dev means you're an end user. I'd much rather be an end user.
>>
This felt like a good thread to ask this question but what do you guys think of Nanodegrees?

I've been thinking of just dropping $1200 bucks on a VR course in Udacity. I'm majoring in Comp Eng. and I feel that I lack some projects so I think that as someone who is getting a degree a nanodegree is a good supplement. Any advice?
>>
>>1626234
Make sure you actually make projects on the side that can show your skills. Any shlub can say "I took da classes", but have a "portfolio".
>>
>>1626234
Yes, I very highly second >>1626318
My dad is a senior consultant and hiring manager in SiValley and he always tells me "any schmuck can pay their way through DeVry, but most people will only coast to get the degree. The kids who do projects on their spare time with a GED will get the job over any degree holder who hasn't heard of GitHub since he has the job over the pay in his mind."
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.