[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me how exactly Enron was able to pawn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: enron.jpg (7KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
enron.jpg
7KB, 224x224px
Can someone explain to me how exactly Enron was able to pawn off debt to other companies? I don't understand what a "special-purpose entity" does or is.
>>
>>1623735
It is called bonds.
>>
>>1623735
They basically got a special status that allowed them to use their """predicted""" future earnings to pump up their stocks artificially. And, like all artificial bubbles, it popped.

They also had some other scammy shit going on, but the above is at the center of the controversy.
>>
This. Watch The Smartest Guys in the Room. It does a half decent job of explaining how they got away with stock manipulation and the other shady shit they were involved in.
>>
>>1623989

Goddammit. I meant to respond to this post.
>>
Enron was a scam that was very deep. You had everyone from auditors to employees to politicians that were paid off
>>
>>1623735
the companies (SPEs) were owned by Enron. Often when they were inspected, the guys from Enron would create a facade that made them look functional when in reality the only purpose they served was to be saddled with debt. Being able to get the debt off the books meant Enron was, on paper, extremely profitable and so stock price went up.
>>
so were any /biz/nessman here smart enough to avoid it altogether? or make money off it - possibly by shorting?
>>
>>1623735
My neighbor worked for the accounting firm that cooked Enron's books. He has a wife, 2 kids, and a house on the beach and none of them had held jobs during the 4 years that I lived next to them.

Interesting, huh?
>>
>>1624423
>Watch The Smartest Guys in the Room.

The movie itself was poorly done. But the Enron story is so fascinating, that it props the movie up. Its still a must see movie.

I wish there was an actual decent Enron documentary out there. I havent really seen one.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.