[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Charity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_16132-247519-1937737060.jpg (256KB, 540x625px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_16132-247519-1937737060.jpg
256KB, 540x625px
All right /biz, Im looking into starting an LLC or a Non-Profit to collect donations to give to other organizations.

Of course, this is /biz, so either way my end goal is to end up with as much money in my own pocket as possible. If I go the Non-Profit route, Id be paying myself for administration, web development, and marketing.

>Why would anyone donate to you instead of [x] organization directly?

Marketing.
And, depending on the organization, easier to use UI / convenience.

So far, my research is this:

LLC
-Pros
>Less start up cost
>Simpler start up
>Less risk (cant be accused of taking too much money)
>More private.
-Cons
>Donors cant write off donations on their taxes
>Taxes

Non-Profit
-Pros
>People can donate for a tax write off (so more / bigger donations)
>Tax exempt
-Cons
>More fees to start up
>More complicted
>Approval takes awhile
>More public
>Risk IRS trouble if I take too much

Start-up funds are limited and I've never filed for my own business before.

What is your opinion /biz?
>>
>>1619822

If it's a charity endeavor than it needs to be a non-profit.

However non-profits are very hard to set up. An LLC takes about an hour to set up.

Also, people that set up non-profits and take money go to jail on a regular basis.
>>
>>1619939
You can accept donations as an LLC, its just not a tax write off so donors have much less of a reason to donate.

And you can take money from a non-profit, its just a grey area. It has to be a "reasonable" amount for the actual service youre providing (its not like they get everything they need for free).

The problem is that "reasonable" is a bullshit term that has no place in the legal system.
>>
>>1619939
>>1619965

For example, with some totally random numbers, my Non-Profit needs a website built and mantained for a year.

Lets say the average contract for this work is $10,000. OR, I could pay myself $7,000 for the same work and technically be saving money.
>>
>>1619822
>Non-Profit to collect donations
Unless your taking a 20% cut for your self... GET OUT
>>
>>1619822
depends on your location. Swiss non-profits have a form where all you need to do is fill in your name and goals with no fees whatsoever
>>
>>1620482
USA

>>1620466
It would really depend on how much I can bring in and compare it to other Non-Profits of a similar size.

Obviously, the first money I bring in will be to cover the actual running expenses (domain lease, filing fees), and anything after that will cost me literally nothing but time.

And of course, I don't mind actually helping out some real charities so that's a plus.
>>
Im thinking right now that itd be better to start as an LLC so that it will be simpler and Ill be able to use as much of the funding as I need to get set up.

Then, I can either convert to a Non-Profit or use the LLC as a parent company to start one. I believe the increased donation amount for being a tax write off will be worth the trade off of being able to only take a fraction as "operating costs"

10% of $10,000 is greater than 100% of $100
>>
Bump. A lot of shitposts today.
>>
>>1619822
i believe california has an annual tax of $800 whether or not the LLC is active. So you're going to have to kick down that "tax" even if you're operating at a loss.
>>
>>1622685
Not in California. Turbotax (~$199 / year I believe) costs more than the legal fees in my state for an LLC, and itd honestly would be my biggest forseable expense.
>>
>>1622703
Bump
>>
>>1623688
Bump again. The front page is boring today
>>
>>1624416
And you think this thread is any more exciting? Fuck off
>>
>>1624419
Yes.

Funny how people have different opinions, right?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.