[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a doctor for the money a meme? I have the education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1478629213715.jpg (38KB, 765x510px) Image search: [Google]
1478629213715.jpg
38KB, 765x510px
Is being a doctor for the money a meme?
I have the education and credentials to get into medical school, but I'm not sure that it's the lifestyle I want to live. I hear a lot of stories of 80+ hour workweeks. Now, I understand that you're not going to get rich unless you work hard, but there must be a better way.

I've also heard that if you can see yourself doing anything else besides being a doctor, you should seriously reconsider entering medical school.

So what's /biz/'s consensus? With my background in biology and chemistry, and interest in business, could I viably enter the scientific field in a lab position and work my way up to a higher-paid and overall more comfortable lifestyle than I would have being a doctor (as far as specialties go, let's assume it's paying me 200-300k a year, after undergrad, residency, fellowship, etc).

Tl;dr Would I get a better return on my investment entering the field of lab science (pharma type shit) and working my way up to management than I would becoming a medical doctor?
>>
>>1608781
Shit varies but you're unlikely to make incredible money either way just doing that. With being a doctor there are some extremely well paid opportunities out there if you're willing to take a significant hit to quality of life tho. And these aren't always available. In either route big money ultimately comes from avoiding debt and then starting a business.

You are doing better than the idiots who went into Chem Eng thinking money would just rain down tho.
>>
fuck is genetic engineering as simple as pic???
>>
>>1608858
Those gloves are actually really difficult to put on.
>>
>>1608781

>300k a year to be a doctor

ha HA HAHAHAHAHA

Unless youre a head surgeon youre not gonna make a third of that per year
>>
>>1608879
>Unless youre a head surgeon youre not gonna make a third of that per year

While that may be a bit of an exaggeration, I understand where you're coming from. Most internists never break 200,000. What I was suggesting is that I would be going through all the schooling to become a surgeon, radiation oncologist, etc. who would make those kinds of numbers. I was wondering if prolonging my schooling and not making (sizeable) money until then was a better return than starting now in a different industry and working my way up from there.

>>1608857
Totally understand. Avoiding debt and starting a business are my intentions, as well as playing it smart with my savings and investments. I've been doing a lot of the recommended reading from here as well as getting advice from my more financially inclined friends.

My idea was to start making money now, and building a savings that would eventually allow me to do that, and I was wondering if that would be a better idea than waiting 10+ years to make a doctor's pay.
>>
>>1608891
>My idea was to start making money now, and building a savings that would eventually allow me to do that, and I was wondering if that would be a better idea than waiting 10+ years to make a doctor's pay.
More than likely. I think there are significant opportunities in being a doctor with the general aging population out there, but I wouldn't go into being a Doc if this is your primary concern.

You can, btw, become qualified in under 10 years if you do a 3 year MD and review where to go for residency. Generally tho it became much less flexible about 10 years ago everywhere. But like some places you can do the general placement faster, and sometimes you can move on to more specialized training from the shorter general training.

There's even some weird thing in maxfac where I think you can do training in no time in Scandi countries or something.
>>
>>1608918
As much as it would be nice to help people in that capacity, I have a lot more in mind for myself and my future. And yeah, the closest medical school to me offers a 3 year program and guaranteed residency, but only if you agree from the beginning to practice family medicine. I also wouldn't be interested in going abroad for medical education because that would probably cost more. And, like you said, my priorities are a little different than most who want to go into practice, probably.

Thanks for your insight
>>
>>1608781
I'm in my second year to become a Medicine degree right now (Not American). My family and I have a Drugtest company so I'm doing it mostly for fun, planning on getting a specialization in Neurology.

It makes very good money, just don't get a shitty specialization. Don't choose anything emergency surgery if you want to have a normal life but they give the best money.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.