[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are all dev jobs posted as 8-5 on-site only?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Perceptor-1.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Perceptor-1.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
It's annoying.

Long story short, I have several years experience with full stack development but a series of shitty teams and unemployment kind of pushed me into a job that's stable but not very interesting. Every time I look to get back into development, though, it comes with the demand that I shoulder all of the risk, from lies at interview time to having to fit the same narrow slice of daylight as every other employer.

Why do they do this? Are they not aware that they're screening out potentially better applicants by imposing these arbitrary restrictions?
>>
>>1608366

It annoys me too because once in a while i feel like having a part time to get me by in those rough months where i barely make rent (which the season is coming up).

I absolutely refuse to 8-5 jobs though. I actually can't sleep well most nights and generally fail to wait up before 9AM even if my life depends on it.

Feel free to go ahead and call some of the firms running the wanted ads but they will almost always say hours are non-negotiable.

Just do your own thing and answer to people who pay you. It's a better path anyways brohamilton
>>
>>1608366
>8-5
you're literally autistic if this is a problem for you

> on-site only
well yea, this isnt 2005 anymore, 99.9% of web applicants lie because they're new and think its easy or are over confident.

Employers are fucking sick and tired of paying some guy then realizing 3 weeks later nothings been done when its time for them to present.

you will rarely find a company that lets you literally set your own hours, even when you get to pick your hours its usually.
>wanna come in 8-4, 9-5, or 10-6?
>>
Because companies realized that remote workers are unaccountable for the shit code they produce
>>
>>1608366
dunno.

the thing is remote works very well for dev jobs depending on the tasks. when it's easy to measure performance and well understood what the quality and scope that needs to be delivered and you can work alone most of the time it can work out well.

it's had to tell from a distance if some noob sucks at is job but puts his back to it or slacks the fuck off. the first can be taught the second needs to be fired.
>>
>>1608461
Yeah but the on site fuckups aren't held responsible either or are mismanaged by fuckups. So what difference do the location or hours make?
>>
>>1608561
If you're off sight then you're competing with off sight Pajeets. Have fun undercutting coders in 3rd world countries

>not getting a manufacturing job in Trump presidency
>kek
>>
>>1608438
Actually, isn't it more autistic to break the words apart instead of analyzing the concept they represent? If the nature of the job us neither predicated on a fixed location or time, why limit yourself to applicants who may only fit them out of luck or desperation? These places whine about wasting time on so many "bad" picks. If I'd been able to work there after hours from a regular job, I would've quit much sooner. They're basically banking on trapping people and then whining about the time wasted by the very situation their trap created.
>>
>>1608573
A. Being off site reduces my expenses considerably.
B. After hours reduces my price considerably due to not being a primary income.
C. Pajeet is shit. Fuck him and any who hire him.
D. If I can work 4 jobs at once, I can produce Pajeet level output at Pajeet level prices.
>>
>>1608582
>I can work 4 jobs
Apparently not, shitlord
>>
>>1608582

Drum up some business for yourself if you can't hack corperate jobs. Stop complaining faggot.
>>
>>1608366
A lot of people will tell you it isn't IP but it's primarily a Chinese wall. It can really screw shit up if you're working on something and another company goes "you saw our thing that's just similar enough". A really odd one, if you go to another company to visit someone you often have to sign away certain rights, and this can screw up anything and everything in that period. Like if you get named on a patent, often the other company can claim some right to that patent.

They will overtly claim it's to foster community, and to give you non taxed perks, but that doesn't make sense under any level of scrutiny.

A lot of people in tech are also a bit backward management wise.
>>
>>1608366
a little off topic, but I'm actually on my way to full stack development, I'm just wondering for some tips and advice if you are willing to share any.
>>
>>1608639
Well, you run into alot of faggots like >>1608587 and >>1608588 who espouse the kind of one-sided libertarianism where starving or suffering their abusive trap of a workplace is framed as a "choice," that's for sure.

I think self employment is the best option for anybody that knows what they're doing. If you have to get a more outgoing friend to help market your skills, do it.

If you're set on a corporate job, ask alot of questions at interview time. I personally won't take a job that won't either A) provide typing rules or B) guarantee to leave my typing alone. The last thing you need is to be fired because some shitbrick is micromanaging your curly braces to randomly changing "standards." Seriously. Teams that fixate on idiocy like that don't have a product worth contributing to or that you can learn anything from. Total waste of time.
>>
>>1608366

It's probably because they want to see you in person and make sure you are legit and not an insane person.

Kinda stupid standard.

But I'm guessing you could take the job and after they get to know you for a bit, you could just work from home.
>>
>>1608639
Also, you can do _alot_ with just C# and a database engine. Don't lock yourself into frameworks because those change everyday and amount to so much busy work. If you need buzzwords on a resume, fine, but understanding the basics will put you _so_ far beyond Pajeet in and out of the job (not being helpless is such a relief).
>>
>>1608366
Because boring, traditional places are paying for bodies in seats. I do about 5 hours worth of coding, 3 hours of useless meetings, and 32 hours of reading/fucking around at my health system job. Between female leadership that can't make decisions and poor project management in my department, nothing gets done when it should. My main boss has now made some women that has a clinical background in charge of a development project. She just fucks about on her phone thinking about getting dicked in her new hot tub and bitching about other women.

I could do this all from home watching chaturbate and beating my dick raw. One can dream.
>>
>>1608690
truth is good frameworks are all about productivity and maintainability.

understanding how things work is important but so is productivity. if you can write the same shit in 3 weeks that i can in 5 hours i will not be impressed one bit with your deep understanding of basics.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.