[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would joining the army look good on my resume on the long term?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1477609661728.jpg (619KB, 1959x1469px) Image search: [Google]
1477609661728.jpg
619KB, 1959x1469px
I want to join the army but I am scared that I would be discriminated against after I get out. Would a potential employeer be discouraged to hire someone because they wentt into the army?
Also let's say this person who joined got a job as an engineer. Would his army credentials, certificates or experience be worth anything right out of the army?

Thank you very much in advance hopefully I posted this on the right board.
>>
>>1605613
employer here.
we don't discriminate against veterans in the US. In most cases we prefer to hire them.

no, most of your training and certifications from the military won't be accepted in real life. Any degrees you get from a normal college still count though. So if you go the officer route your degree will carry weight in the private sector.

Veterans also get +7 to their Working For The Government roll, whether as an employee or contractor.
>>
>>1605613
Employers certainly wouldn't discriminate against military experience. In most cases, it's seen as a positive (hard work, discipline, etc.) But the most important thing would be to use any time in the military to best prepare you for a civilian career. If you want to be an engineer, your best bet is to be an Army Engineer.
>>
File: 1391570906831.jpg (303KB, 1000x1286px) Image search: [Google]
1391570906831.jpg
303KB, 1000x1286px
>>1605613
It would make you look good, but unless you have a concrete goal that service will train you for, it's not worth the 4 years you could otherwise spend on your career. Bear in mind, that rates that give you applicable skills in the real world a la nuke or aviation are highly competitive nowadays.

So unless you want to do it for emotional reasons, or get your dick slobbered, I would say it is not worth the opportunity cost.

USAA is a damn good bank tho
>>
>>1605613
Hey, 5 year Army veteran, turned corporate here. AMA.

Some background info:
>USMA grad, but useless degree
>Infantry/Military Intelligence background
>0 lag time between getting out and starting new civilian job. Earn $90k before taxes, which is a little less than I made in the service.

Lastly, you can make it in the civilian world coming out of the Army, so if you really wanna join, but are worried about your civilian job marketability, don't worry too much. Operations wise, corporate America and the military are very similar.
>>
They'll think youre a mindless & violent drone with ptsd & no self awarness.
So itd look good applying for a shitty job, any job that requires thinking, probably not.
>>
>>1605613
Depends on the employer desu.
You have a 50/50 shot of either getting a decent human being like >>1605629
Or a complete shit tier employer like described here >>1605986

I've worked for places that have both mentalities.
There are also places that will refuse to hire anyone but veterans.

So my advice to you OP, is to figure out what your final goal is. (engineer, work at big 4 bank, scientist, etc.)
Now go find people that work those jobs and ask them what the atmosphere at that profession is like.
>>
>>1605986
I dunno, I think a lot of employers might like some of the traits a military man would have but yeah, totally depends on the job for sure. I think government favors a military unit and with fascism rising...
>Operations wise, corporate America and the military are very similar.
Probably a safe secure job route, but remember, those who covet security over freedumb...a little insecurity from time to time does wonders for the soul.
>>
>>1606007
I feel you on that one. I never realized my life would turn into Office Space. Maybe it's just the role I'm in now; luckily my position is rotational so hopefully the next rotation is more my cup of tea
>>
>>1605613
I would hire a military man for their work ethic and committment. I think you'll be good OP.
>>
Would it make any sense to work a corporate job that pays well (~90k starting accounting associate) for 4 or 5 years out of college, then join the military as an officer at age 26 with the intention to be a pilot? It's been my dream job since I walked up to the cockpit of an airliner as a kid.
>>
>>1606521
If you want to make a career out of something in the military, or do something really specialized like being a pilot, then yes it makes sense.

For everything else though, it's not a good idea. You're supposed to use it as a stepping stone into civilian life, not work your ass into a good civilian life then downgrade to the armed forces
>>
>>1606525
This answers m question. I recieved my bachlors in Business back in 2014 and haven't found a stable job. Was considering joining the military and go for my MBA in whatever sounds interesting.
>>
I wouldn't hire someone who had seen combat, they are probably a bit crazy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.