[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Architecture Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I'm considering getting a degree in archictecture - would I regret my decision?

What are the best majors for someone like me who is good at spacial awareness/ mapping but slow at advanced math.
>>
self bump
>>
>>1604361
>good at spacial awareness/ mapping but slow at advanced math.

Land surveyor? I don't think its really a bachelors degree though other than civil engineering maybe. The three surveyors at my small civil engineering/surveying company don't have degrees. But if you can think in 3D, have good spacial awareness, and don't mind working outside in the field occasionally, it might be cool.

In the field, you find property corners, set construction stakes, or topo a project site. In the office, you create topo maps, parcel/subdivision maps, and other survey documents. The only math you really need is angles and triangles.
>>
>good spatial awareness, mapping

literally GIS.
>>
>>1604361
Architects, like designers or visual merchandisers have to have a real understand of behavior, of how people INTERACT and INTERPRET with space.

It's really psychological actually. Ya know you need to have that intuitive grasp of visual semiotics the way graphic, product, and even fashion designers do, so it subconsciously informs the "user" or whatever they call a person in a space, how to interact it.

Like have you ever been in a building and didn't know where the elevators are? Bad architect.
>Unless it's like a themepark where they don't want you to leave the gift shop.

Are you good at that?

if not, I think the other posters have got you covered. In fact I had never heard of GIS until now, but damn, that's interesting, and probably a huge field now thanks to big data and everyone having Google and Apple spying on their coordinates.
>>
>>1604572
... How have you never heard of GIS? If you've ever been involved in real property, it's like the second step to address property besides knowing what country it's in.
>>
>>1604572
I think I can be good at that - it's like composition in a painting. You have to lead the eyes around the canvas.

I have a background in art and graphic design, but I don't want to waste my college degree studying graphic design only to be stuck in an oversaturated market.

I feel architecture is a thing I'd be good at - i've always had a thing for space and interior decorating.
>>
One thing to note, architecture is very low paying and because it's tied to housing, there can be long periods of unemployment during bust years.

I know many architects and they are all really poor.

Only go into it if you really love it.
>>
File: 2.jpg (158KB, 871x653px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
158KB, 871x653px
>>1604733
Australian Education m8.

>>1605423
>I think I can be good at that - it's like composition in a painting. You have to lead the eyes around the canvas.

I'm not sure it is like composition in painting, I think it's far more like interactive art or sculpture or maybe even narrative in classical genre painting. You need to create a non-verbal statement of function. You're not just "leading the eye" you're leading the whole body, your encouraging or discouraging behavior.
>pic related
>>
>>1605475
how poor is 'really poor'?
>>
Arch major here, probably shouldn't do arch, it's fucked up. Long unpaid hours, work for free, competition system ensures months of work amounts to nothing for majority of archs, heavy bias to old money, connections, physically attractive, won't make you rich, expensive to get into, over 40 yrs of prep before you get to build your ideas, too many graduates, not enough jobs in us, easy to outsource and mass produce I.e. Aecom and gensler will wreck your shit. Also if you don't have a masters degree or partnership you get cycled in and out 5yrs max by next gen of undergrad interns and worthless degree.
>>
>>1604361
Broad field, what are you interested in?

t. architect (licensed in EU)
>>
>>1604572
GIS is just overglorified GPS crap for surveyor dorks.

Retail/Visial merchandising is learnt on the job. "Good, better, best", " customers to the right", "pricing on the left" and there are a few psychological tricks like word choice, tone and eye movements in direct sales. Including the "hold it, they buy it" thinking.

Any good field has this in it. There are a few good books on it.

Retail might be "Dead End" but when my bonus is paid on sales, profit, budget and im earning 70K pre bonus - tell me again why you "dont think this TV is the one for you".
>>
>>1604414
this. this x 100. OP at least look into it, it's very lucrative.
>>
>>1606359
>this is what best buy retail cucks tell themselves
>>
>>1604361
My dads friend owns his own architecthure company and is really really rich. Like filthy rich.
It's possible. His firm is called Aedas or Adeas something like that.
>>
Do you like architecture? I mean, REALLY like it?

Like, spend time studying floorplans and how buildings flow, etc. in your spare time and constantly read on the subject?

Don't go into it unless you REALLY like it -- and I mean REALLY like it. It's an oversaturated market and it takes a LONG time to get anywhere in it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.