[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a living from my own projects instead of client work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1475159755962.gif (206KB, 273x350px) Image search: [Google]
1475159755962.gif
206KB, 273x350px
tldr;
Running a web dev biz, wanting to focus on my own projects full time instead of client work and still make good income.

Currently I'm running a "web development business" where I help businesses save time and make money using the web and it's working fine making enough income to get by...

But I'd like to be sustaining myself from my own web applications / sites instead of building them for other businesses.

For example - does someone make a decent living from a tool like this that offer pro / paid services in addition to free scans?
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Or porting other lookup / networking tools to the a web interface...

Or website monitoring tools, Moz tools, and now "Pro Google Analytics" etc etc.

I've built a few web apps in various langauges, dealt with APIs, payment gateways, databases etc etc. and learned building it is not the hard part, it's finding customers..

So every other thread on here seems to say to make money online:

Trade stocks
- Tried Robinhood - turned $25 into $1.30 - waiting it out...

Do affiliate marketing
- Had minor successes with affiliate marketing making maybe around $50 over the years with a couple simple blogs and having links to affiliate products / a generic shop page with a bunch of external products.

Trade bit coins or build a bitcoin trading site
- Haven't tried this yet but it could be a fun project...

Build a web app / solve a problem businesses pay for:
I've done a few web apps but finding customers is a challenge.

I have a short ebook I'd like to publish / sell on one of my blogs..

Make a better fart app

Sell drugs

Buy knee pads

Keep doing client work...

Discover new secret way to make income

Now what?
>>
Not OP, but also have the same questions/desires...

Even if you don't have any good answers to post, additional examples of stuff that doesn't work (makes a loss) or doesn't work well enough (only about break-even) can be useful, to tell us what to avoid (or what might be worth looking into if some improvement can be added to the original idea).

Example of something that doesn't really work : MMO gold-farming bots. Can run roughly break-even, but regular banning and untrustworthy customers make it too much of a hassle.
>>
You really have no clue what you're doing

I think you need to try a few more things first and learn some valuable real world lessons because you sound quite naive
>>
>>1601215
I was a contracted programmer hired gun type, for big and small companies.
On the side I did abunch of shit, read a lot.

Ended up with 100 Amazon affiliate sites I made. Was getting $10k a month from it. Doing good domains, only targeted niches. SEO, was really easy with the domains. Just stacked money using amazon API to make my site look like real shopping sites but the checkout took them to Amazon, and all the products they added on my site were in their Amazon carts.

After a few years, get a Dear John letter from Amazon. Basically shutting me down for making too much and using too much API requests. Meh whatever.

Built a couple of cool sites/projects and sold them off easily.

Now contracted again but working on a free automated stock investment platform. Launch in a week, I'm getting 10% a day, should be a big hit.

Keep on going man, if you are good you will make something. But if you has specific questions, I'll try to answer. I have been in your boat.
>>
>>1602283
How do you go about securing contracts? I'm doing some independent work at the moment on a currency exchange but i'm losing motivation as the development drags on. How did you go about advertising and acquiring new users? Can you make anything work if you are persistent enough with your advertising?
>>
>>1602285
I'm not securing the contracts. I'm working with and online broker and their API. My platform will automatically invest their money based on their settings with my platform.

I had a stock pick newsletter for years, and a forum and amassed a good following. So expecting to be able to grow membership quickly. Which I hope so. I have about 50 servers running right now just to do real time data processing of our algorithms for all trader types we expect. But I have always had good results with adwords. But paid placement is usually big. Pay a few hundred to some decent sites to write articles about your site. Works wonders for short bursts.

Or write a kick ass email scraper by niche ;)
>>
>>1602283
Would you mind sharing the automated trading website?
>>
>>1602516
thiss
>>
>>1602516
One good automated trading site in action: https://youtu.be/lNbesLS68GE
Link in the description!
>>
>>1602283
10% a day? that's complete bullshit

>>1603859
this is a scam

>>1601215
I know I'll get the third degree here, but why not just become a wagecuck? If you have strong web development experience you can probably pull close to $100k in a city like Chicago where the cost of living isn't too high.

Live frugally and then you can take a few years off after you work for a few years.

A lot of these places only actually require a few hours of actual work a day, and it can be done from home most days of the week.
>>
>>1603859
> I don't earn as much as i told you
> as a matter of fact i need the money
> pls click my affiliate link

Oh boy
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.