[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil ETN Holding Costs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I never invested in oil, but the crazy low prices seen compared to the last months highs seem interesting. Market is going down like hell so might as well reap some low priced deals.

This particular paragraph worries me about holding costs though. What are they? Is there any cost to hold UWTI stocks for let's say a month?

Discuss.

> When looking at UWTI, investors must focus on the outlook for crude over the next several months and the holding costs they will incur from the trade. When the index is rising, UWTI is a great vehicle. However, as shown by the past year's results, when crude oil is in a decline, UWTI is likely to lose higher than 90% of its value in a very short period of time. Always perform due diligence before investing in leveraged funds.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/011516/uwti-cant-go-zero-here-why-uwti.asp
>>
>>1599468
Why not invest in oil stocks?
>>
>>1599471
UWTI/DWTI/USO ETNs are all oil stocks.
> VelocityShares 3x Long Crude Oil

> What's UWTI?
> UWTI is an exchange-traded note (ETN) that tracks a subset of the S&P Goldman Sachs Commodity Index, which only includes front month futures contracts on WTI crude oil. UWTI provides three times the exposure of its tracking index over one trading day.

AFAIK it's like buying ETFs for a certain sector, kinda.
>>
Anyone? Is this board filled with clueless motherfuckers or what?
>>
>>1599468
You don't hold UWTI, faggot.

I traded DWTI last November and rode the gains from like $90 to $420+. That shit isn't happening anymore, people realize that the price of oil at this point is a fucking meme and OP is going to get laid sooner than we see $60/bbl again.

Don't buy UWTI.
>>
I bought some BNE.
>>
>>1599718
That's some valuable advice, thanks! I noticed that the market (especially right now 5+ days downtrending) isn't great but still UWTI is like in the $19s which is low. You think it'll keep on getting lower?

>>1599831
Going to swing trade it back up? Seems like a good day for so.
>>
Oil isn't recovering this time

Atleast never back to the $110 a barrel days when i used to get paid to drill for it.
>>
>>1599468

Look, last time oil fell sharply in price (in the 80's) the price stayed low for more than 10 years.

There are SO many factors that drive down oil that even if you have war in the Middle East again, you would only see a maybe 10$/barrel spike because the US is the new swing producer and has reserves to outcompete Saudi Arabia
>>
>>1600641
Isn't Iran trading oil now as well? If so, the profits in oil have been set and the only future benefactors shall be the current ones.
>>
>>1599953
UWTI achieves its leveraged position using front month futures only

each month at expiry, UWTI rolls its contracts over to the new month

the new months contracts may (and are almost guaranteed to) have a different price than the ones that just expired, due to their theta (time) component

depending on your position (UWTI's is long) this can be beneficial or detrimental

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/07/contango_backwardation.asp

Basically oil can be slowly rising and you can still be losing money on UWTI. If you know how futures work it's great though
>>
File: CIIXhVRWsAAHqzY.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
CIIXhVRWsAAHqzY.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>1600623
this shit attitude everyone has is why i'm bullish as fuck
>>
>>1600659
It is estimated to cost around $55 a barrel to produce oil extracted from shale with the fracking method. It costs other countries $20 a barrel to put a big pipe in the ground and direct tap a trap for endless oil reserves.

Wasn't oil at $46 last week? The oil companies are operating at a smaller profit margin in order to become self sustaining. Saudi Arabia is freaking the fuck out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.