[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpaid Internship?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (178KB, 1058x705px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 1058x705px
You have been unemployed for 1 year & 6 months in NYC with a economics degree and applied to over 300 internships since the time you left college/were in still college.

You've done everything in the book from making resume and cover letters perfect to networking; all of which have failed you because you happen to have shitty luck. You've been looking for a internships and/or entry level job since then. Only job experience is a part time stint you had at rite aid

You recently get an offer for an unpaid internship at a startup. They want you 5 days a week with no pay.

Do you

1) Say yes and stay quiet about compensation so they don't recind their offer

2) Say yes and try to negotiate for at least $200 a month stipend

3) Turn them down and stay at home while repeating the same shit you've always been doing, applying and praying someone says yes

I need your help /biz/, for the love of everything you adore in life. Please
>>
>>1594683
Ps, they are really strict on the no pay thing
>>
Is sitting at home better than working? no way, You're lazy even considering saying no. That's probably why you havent got any offers, if your personality is deviant they can smell it from miles away.
>>
>>1594687
You have a point which is why Im conflicted between the 3

If I do say yes, do I shut my trap about a $200 a month stipend? They were really strict and upfront about no pay when I interviewed. I'm afraid if I say that, that would signal the person who interviewed me to take away the current offer
>>
Right now you're worth nothing to them. That can change with hard work. By having a job and doing it good you'll have lots of opportunities, maybe not getting paid from them but you can use your experience to get a real job or another, better internship. The point is, right now you have no experience and a degree thats a dime a dozen. You will need to prove yourself. This is a good opportunity. Take it!

Dont bring up the pay directly, maybe work 6 months or so (i'm not sure how the internships work, i'm swedish) then you're in a better position to bargain. If you do a good job.
>>
>>1594683
Accept the offer. Having something going on in your life other than job hunting will do two things:

1. Have a major positive impact on your mental health.

2. Make you more attractive to future employers.

Once you're in start hustling for a permanent, paid job.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.