[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there money in content creation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ContentCreators.jpg (159KB, 952x912px) Image search: [Google]
ContentCreators.jpg
159KB, 952x912px
I hear people always say in the film industry that "the real money is in being a distributor" but with like Netflix and shit, is there now money to be made in producing content?
Where are the revenue streams?
Someone pointed out to me that Lucasfilm probably make more money from merchandising than box office and video sales.

Can you make money in the content business?
What about Apps? Is there anyway you can build a strategic partnership to split revenue with a developer by porting your content over to an exclusive app?
>>
Nope
>>
>>1590798
Dang guess I'll just start caming.

Honestly tho' I think there is money in content but I think the days of selling video direct to the consumer are over but instead video, film, or other content needs to be the centerpiece of a business model that sells something else: whether it's advertising space or endorsement to brands, formats that can be sold to television networks, or merchandising and licencing like Lucasfilm.
>>
>>1590823
Stop posting
>>
>>1590823
tv is on the way out. When the boomers die tv will fall away - every story on the nightly news you've seen on facebook 6 hours ago.
You need to build content with a core demo who wont get poached by aggregators, on your own platform, and monetise via advertising. Remember Vice started as an Ad firm first and a magazine second, and they never kept the two seperate.
People will not pay for content that they know that other organizations will scavenge. You'l also need a good legal team.
>>
>>1590786
>What about Apps? Is there anyway you can build a strategic partnership to split revenue with a developer by porting your content over to an exclusive app?

for that you would need a decent fanbase, otherwise you are starting with nothing and an app.

for example, the big minecraft youtubers could get a video streaming app made that just has updates of their own minecraft videos and other written bullshit. this would be worth it if i) they could make more money on adverts than they do on YT ads and ii) there are plenty of their viewers who watch the vids on their tablets/ipads/phones.

the minecraft youtubers are mini-ceebrities though, at least for 10 year old boys they are, so they have a decent market to exploit.

it's not helpful to you if you don't have any content or an idea of what content you would produce (you haven't said you have or haven't).

if you don't have a hobby, niche or expertise, then you're out of luck. because what are you going to exploit?

digital media has made the value of content almost zero. value is in personal appearances, endorsements or a space for advertisers to sell their products to your audience. look at buzzfeed: their content is worthless, it is the fact that people look at it that gives them value.
>>
>>1590861
>When the boomers die tv will fall away
Not if sport remains a relevant industry.
>>
>>1590892
Google is already trying to work out a deal to get network channels streaming on YouTube, which would include sports. I think television won't exist 50 years from now and every network would have there own streaming subscription, or a broader platform like Sling TV. They would just release their episodes like Netflix does their original series. Only TV television would be sports, political stuff, etc.
>>
>>1590861
>who wont get poached by aggregators,
Is that where establishing a brand comes into it?
Onscreen talent who either have a stake in the business or are locked into contracts so they can't leave

>>1590870
>it's not helpful to you if you don't have any content or an idea of what content you would produce (you haven't said you have or haven't).
Was just curious about this industry and how it could work for startups. Don't have any ambitions myself.

>if you don't have a hobby, niche or expertise, then you're out of luck. because what are you going to exploit?
Just like any premium business - you need a specific market, and pander to them in a way no one else does.

>>1590896
>Google is already trying to work out a deal to get network channels streaming on YouTube, which would include sports

What's the future of sports rights? I follow Formula One and not many other sports, and now that it's mainly on subscription services So even though the subscription deals mean more money in their pocket, the fact that they don't have an a la carte option so I can subscribe just to the races means that my engagement has dropped.

In the long-term this closed garden approach will hurt their bottom line . One of their biggest selling points to both the teams and the sport's title sponsors has been that only FIFA games get higher global audiences. That's their main value proposition which they are cannibalizing for quick profits.

I assume in 20 years time the sports with smarter governing bodies will be selling direct to fans through a la carte subscription services (am I mistaken or does WWE do this already?) probably through internet platforms, right?
>>
bamp
>>
well i hear 4chan is doing great ;)

Disney seems to be more into the acquisition and management of IP, not creating it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.