[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about private enterprise in finance? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (31KB, 400x374px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
31KB, 400x374px
How do you guys feel about private enterprise in finance? Why can/can't/should/shouldn't we all be able to open up personal portfolios that are managed automatically by bots?

This occurred to me because I've seen funds labeled as green, ethical, stuff like that, but you don't have much control over whether such funds agree with one's own sense of what's green (like nuclear power) or ethical (like animal rights, degrees of separation from forced labor etc.), do you?
>>
>>1582699
I don't understand the question.
I thought you COULD open a personal portfolio managed by bots.
>>
>>1582705
Is it profitable, compared to an index fund, for example? The common wisdom seems to be to invest in index funds, but do their economics scale down to personal portfolios?
>>
>>1582712
Index funds are superior over any long period of time. They're bad in bear markets, but over a long period of time the market always goes up.
>>
>>1582730
So they work with an individual portfolio too?
>>
>>1582735
That is their purpose. You put your money in an index fund so it will grow.
What are you asking?
>>
>>1582738
I'm asking whether the economics of an index fund effectively scale down to an individual portfolio, or is an individual portfolio more burdened by transaction costs or more vulnerable to market drops?
>>
>>1582746
I really don't understand what you're asking.
They were made for individual portfolios.
>>
>>1582748
>They were made for individual portfolios.
I thought they are a form of mutual fund. Sorry about this if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of mutual funds to pool money from more than one investor?
>>
>>1582746
Index funds generally just have a small yearly fee, not a buy/sell fee, and is therefore generally better suited for "individual portfolios" than stocks.

Of course you could open your own bot-managed little portfolio, though I don't think you'll have enough money to overcome the commission fees at your broker easily.
>>
>>1582753
Oh, I see what you're asking. You're asking if you should buy the stocks that an index fund buys.
The answer is no. You will get raped by trade fees and you probably won't have enough money to do it right anyway.
What you're supposed to do is buy ETFs like SPY.
>>
>>1582756
Not really, I don't. I was wondering whether it's achievable for a middle class individual in general, but I guess not.
>>1582762
So it's not feasible after all.

>you probably won't have enough money to do it right anyway.
Fees aside, would this be because of diversification restrictions?
>SPY
SPDR S&P 500 ETF I assume?
>>
>>1582770
>Fees aside, would this be because of diversification restrictions?
It's because blue chip stocks often cost hundreds of dollars per share. You would have to have to equal exposure to all of the stocks in an index and you would have to rebalance it periodically.

>SPDR S&P 500 ETF I assume?
Yes. That is an ETF that tracks the S&P 500 index. Put your money in that and it will grow with the index over the long-term.

The reason we have index funds is so that you don't have to buy every stock in an index yourself.
>>
>>1582777
Thanks for the details. I like the idea of mutual funds, but was wondering what options people have when they want to direct their investments towards particular markets and industries, if index funds don't reflect their personal investment preferences.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.