[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT. Study advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1471128996267.jpg (256KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471128996267.jpg
256KB, 1280x960px
I want to learn about economics and how things work, not because its my field, but because I would like to be knowledgeable enough to hold my ground in conversations.

What books / sources have you studied anons?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfSteveKeen/videos
>>
>>1581520
way too complex to start with.
OP start with this vid and khan academy stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe0bXAIuk0
>>
>>1581602
>>1581520

Thanks for the suggestions. Will save them and watch them.
>>
>>1581614
I'm in the same boat as you mate! Want to learn more so I don't look a twat.
>>
https://youtu.be/ARrNYyJEnFI
>>
>>1581602

>>1581602

>It's too complex to learn that the Earth revolves around the Sun, so you'd better start by learning that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Good grief. Start with the lectures he's giving to the new Class of Economics at Kingston University London.
>>
>>1581618

Books. Read them. Your first lesson on not being dumb is understanding why books are superior: Firstly, an equivalent video would require many, many hours.

Secondly, videos have to be paused and rewinded when you don't understand something. You can stare at a book all day. Anyone can make a video, but publishers won't accept a book deal from an utter shitter.

It is just easier to both write, and learn from, a good book than it is a video.
>>
>>1581800
Ok, i'll bite. any book recommendations?
>>
>>1581800

Ok... would you like to shoot some recommendations bro?
>>
>>1582014
>>1582047
>inb4 this die hard pic
>>
>>1582055
>Finance and get rich books teach basic economics and "how things work"
>>
File: Ea4pRhz1Oas.jpg (128KB, 1006x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ea4pRhz1Oas.jpg
128KB, 1006x1000px
>nobody wants to share their wisdom
>>
>>1582164

The amount of knowledge you acquire is useless until it's actually applied and gets results.

I'm doing this because I'm in a semi-good mood.

http://web.gccaz.edu/~hanrc26781/Micro_16F/

There you go; it's the class/personal website of my Honors Micro/Macro Economics teacher. He has a Masters in Economics, decades of experience in teaching and consulting businesses owners, wrote a book and he's a great teacher in general.

Macro is interesting but IMO, Micro is much more useful, interesting and fun to learn.

The site is pretty self explanatory; it has chapters from the book, worksheets for said chapters, Excel models and even answer keys.
>>
Das kapital and the manifesto is all you need
>>
> I would like to be knowledgeable enough to hold my ground in conversations.
Investopedia then. Just link hop for a few hours.

The great thing about that is, when you actually talk to real people who have studied or work in economics they'll embellish and correct your knowledge.

So Part 2: TALK TO PEOPLE.

>>1581626
He said economics, not finance.
Good video for beginners, certainly helped me out but not relevant.

>>1581670
b-b-but it's Ray Dalio.
>>
There are some small things you can look into to give you a basic idea of economics, the mathematics behind it and the difficulties of trying to discern the truth in such complex real world phenomena. Supply and demand, comparative advantage, sticky prices and speculative bubbles are pretty straight forward, though they aren't like the laws of physics. Lengthier things like the causes of inflation, whether the market is irrational or rational (it is both to a certain extent), aggregate demand, stagflation, the proposed causes of various economic crises and the nature of corruption have no conclusive answers but are worth looking into so you can see why you must avoid leaping to conclusions and confirmation bias. It is better to take a heterodox approach so you are less likely to fall prey to memes when developing your ideas.

You don't have to read the general theory of employment, interest and money to begin with though, I recommend this for a starter book. It provides insights into the mind of a trader and his practicality-oriented views of economics, it really made me think.

http://www.r-5.org/files/books/trading/speculation/Jesse_Livermore-How_To_Trade_In_Stocks_(1940_original)-EN.pdf

After all this I think you will have a good framework for deciding where to go next.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.