[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you think of this book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: millionaire-next-door-400x612.jpg (78KB, 400x612px) Image search: [Google]
millionaire-next-door-400x612.jpg
78KB, 400x612px
What did you think of this book?
>>
I never read it, but it looks like a scam. No millionaire next door, or anywhere for that matter, is going to give you any helpful advice on how to get rich
>>
>>1579972
>I never read it, but
Why post when you have no idea what you're talking about like a moron?
>>
>>1579976
Why did you make the assumption we read this meme book?
>>
>>1579976
Because I don't need to read it to know that there's nothing useful in it. Rich people get rich because they figure out how to themselves. If you need inspiration to do something then you should probably not do it
>>
File: 4567576757.png (59KB, 383x378px) Image search: [Google]
4567576757.png
59KB, 383x378px
>>1579978
It's a well known book and I want opinions from other people that actually read books, not spew an opinion out that has literally nothing behind it.

>>1579980
It has nothing to do with inspiration. Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. You just think you do.

hiding these useless posts until i get an opinion from someone that reads books and not retards, thanks.
>>
>>1579982
These books are useless

They will never teach you how to make money
>>
Jesus Christ are you people retarded? This book is nothing about motivation or how to get rich fast. It's literally a book on how not to be an idiot with money. How to be safe with money. How to make sure you're comfortable with money. It goes into detail about how to save, how to (especially this) spend, and how to not 'keep up with the joneses'. I have actually read this book and it changes the way you look at and spend money on material things. It is a great read and I hope all the neets on this website read it because most rich people don't seem rich. That's the driving point of this book.
>>
>>1579990
Wow really need an entire book to learn "Don't buy luxury bullshit, keep 6 months living expenses in a liquid account, don't get into debt and buy index funds".

Great, I'm sure we needed 1000 pages for that
>>
>>1579980
>If you need inspiration to do something then you should probably not do it

One of the stupidest things I've ever read on this site
>>
It's a great read, I'd recommend Rich Dad Poor Dad as well, it's in the same category.

It's basically a guideline about how to *think* about money, debt and assets.
>>
>>1579990
Holy shit, someone that actually read the book that the thread is about? Thank you. I can tell you read it. I personally thought that it was very eye opening. I already knew how to be frugal, but to know more about what millionaires do and think and why that is was really cool.

>>1579994
hidden for attention whore idiocy
>>
>>1580001
>Idiocy for pointing out this book is worthless unless you lack common sense

Lol this board
>>
>>1580002
>Thinking a book is worthless when you haven't even read it.
>wew

It's much more than what your HS economics teacher regurgitates.
>>
File: 64645646464.png (54KB, 186x292px) Image search: [Google]
64645646464.png
54KB, 186x292px
>>1580002
You're being hidden and called an idiot because you're giving an opinion on a book you didn't read. That's what idiots do. It's called being ignorant, acting like you know everything, etc.

>people come into a thread specifically about asking opinions on a book and post their opinions on it even when they didn't read it

I'm not replying to your retarded bullshit anymore. Feel lucky that I even bothered these couple of times. You're a degenerate and will be hidden without even reading the replies from now on.
>>
>>1580010
>Book only teaches you "how to not be an idiot with money"
>This is valuable for anyone who isn't a retard

It's common sense and you'd think anyone of a business and finance board would understand these simple ideas. Guess not though with all the wannabe investment bankers and traders we have here.
>>
>>1580015
Okay buddy hope you get rich from these books
>>
>>1580015
>>1580010

>Nassim Nicholas Talebcriticised the premise of the book on the basis of two instances ofsurvivorship bias: that there is no mention of the accumulators who have accumulated underperforming assets, and that the United States had just gone through the greatest bull market in its history at the time of the book's publication. He suggested that the authors should lower the net worth of the observed millionaires to compensate for the effect of the unobserved losers, and to consider the fate of accumulators following prolonged periods of recession such as in1982or1935.[7]

SHITTY BOOK BTFO
>>
>>1579980

/biz/ ladies and gentlemen
>>
>2016
>buying books

love them ebooks

in terms of hours entertained to amount downloaded ratio, it can't be beat
>>
>>1580190
I wish I could deal with reading full books on a computer screen/kindle. I don't like it.
>>
>>1580028
Well, when learning to sail, I think it's better to listen to those who came back ashore, rather than those who didn't.

And just because the wind was favorable, doesn't mean they *really* can't sail.
>>
Some great lessons but extremely bias.
>>
Something that I found the book failed to readily account for is falling into the frugal trap.

I know several self made millionaires who still live like they are barely above poverty. Their children all universally revile them because they are driving themselves to an early grave by neglecting their own wellbeing, and the kids grew up with nothing but handmedowns and never saw a cent towards college. It's not that the kids expected a life of luxury, but when you have millions, you, and your kids, shouldn't forgo basic dental work, or live with fungal infections that leave permanent scarring on your skin. It's stupid. The more you have, the more important it is to protect what you have, and the easier it is to do so. If you have millions, why not spend a bit and get routine extensive physical checkups? You don't need a luxury car, but for fucks sake, get something that is safe. Do you need a mansion? No, but having comfortable furniture, air conditioning, and some space are all relatively speaking quite cheap. You don't need to live on ramen and potatoes either.

I actually know a guy, well knew, who got him and a nephew killed because of the last bit. He drove a late 70s shitbox pickup truck and got into a major accident. Steering column collapsed his chest, the firewall drove his femurs through his hips, and he died instantly. Nephew was in a coma for a month before they pulled the plug. A modern vehicle would have most likely left him with an injured leg, if he didn't simply walk away, and his nephew wouldn't have been touched. He was in his early 50s, and the nephew was mid 20s. Given the family history they would have easily made it to their mid 80s and been 100% mentally clear till the day they died.

Decades of life wasted because someone couldn't be fucked to spend 15 grand on a lightly used truck that also had AC in fucking Nevada.
>>
>>1580028
Thanks for writing what I was too lazy to.
>>
>>1580593
The book specifically talks about how the rich do not do this, so you are wrong, and therefore will be hidden for the remainder of the thread.
>>
>>1580700
take a look at judge jury and executioner over here
>>
>>1579955
It's useful. Like others have said, it's about how you should perceive and understand money and its uses, if that makes any sense.

That being said, you will obviously need other books to get a more acute understanding of money.
>>
File: 1445112670026.png (239KB, 421x433px) Image search: [Google]
1445112670026.png
239KB, 421x433px
>>1580700
Do you want to have a discussion or do you want to just hear parroted responses that agree with your views? Ever consider that the latter is falling into exactly the same thought traps that the book emphasizes avoiding?

I found that the book didn't go into enough depth on the topic. It spends enormous amounts of time emphasizing not to buy overpriced stuff. Fair enough. That's a point worth repeating. I found the discussions about the opposite to be lacking the same degree of meaningful depth or substance. If we're being perfectly fair here, it's a lot harder to discuss spending in moderation vs being outright cheap. Using the car analogy, it's pretty obvious that a Cadillac, S series, Tesla, or whatever, is largely going to be utterly pointless. A cheap vehicle is a lot harder to quantify, since there's tons of utilitarian components to consider at hundreds of different price points.

The book seems to think you should just buy a cheap car and call it a day. It discourages thinking about decisions based largely on arguments about time spent. Yes, time spent is important. Opportunity costs and all that. However, with the wealth of information that can be easily cross referenced these days thanks to the internet, many of the arguments against doing a little research simply go out the window. Find cars that fit the general description of what you like and which have excellent ratings and crash tests, test drive a bunch in a couple hours, pick the one you liked the most, and then tell a broker what you want and let him deal with it for you.

If your opportunity costs are so high that spending less than 5 hours on a 5 figure transaction is actually beneath you, you can easily afford a high end luxury vehicle anyways, so it's a totally moot point.
>>
>>1580729
The book also emphasizes free time. What if I happen to like writing bots that crawl different sites for shit I want at cheap prices? Some of us are actually legitimately autistic to varying degrees and do enjoy doing random research in our free time on completely irrelevant bullshit. Sometimes you learn something useful, sometimes it's just entertainment.
>>
File: outsmart bullet.jpg (37KB, 388x189px) Image search: [Google]
outsmart bullet.jpg
37KB, 388x189px
>>1580264
>Well, when learning to sail, I think it's better to listen to those who came back ashore, rather than those who didn't.

You need to be extremely careful of this. You can easily come to the wrong conclusions based on incomplete or flawed premises.

There's actually a pretty classic example of this from WW2. The RAF lost a lot of planes to German guns. The obvious solution was to go over the planes and toughen up the spots where they got shot a lot. They didn't. They toughed up the spots that the surviving planes did NOT generally get shot in. Why? Because the ones that did get shot there were the ones that got shot down. If a plane came back with holes in it, those locations obviously weren't vitally important.
>>
>>1579955
Sup MJ?
>>
>>1579997
>Rich Dad Poor Dad
The worst spent £11 of my life. Nothing but a poorly written motivational book disguised as blatantly fake story with literally zero practical advice.
>>
>>1580746
Yes, I'm very aware of the biases at play.

The problem is that what you can learn from the losers is limited.
>>
>>1579955

Classic survivorship bias manipulating statistical distributions to prove a point. Cherry picked bullshit.
>>
>>1580028

Exactly
>>
>>1579980
>If you need inspiration to do something then you should probably not do it

Haha oh wow
>>
>>1579955
>What did you think of this book?
useless for you
it's about non retarded boomers in high paying jobs that lived frugally (and never enjoyed life)
>>
>>1580975
you actually payed for it? damn...
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.