[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Valuing Seed/Early stage companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1441976243911.jpg (491KB, 2346x2487px) Image search: [Google]
1441976243911.jpg
491KB, 2346x2487px
Hi /biz/ I'm raising capital for the first time to fund the initial expansion stage of a company.

At this stage the numbers although resting on solid data and assumptions are purely speculation so using future earnings and financial forecasts to value the company is really speculative.

Some of the VCs we've been in talks with have come up with some valuations but I'm really unsure what they base these on and how I can make the company more valuable.

Should I hold off investment, should I expand the team more, wait longer for the tech to the further? (Keep in mind getting the money now would speed up all of these things)

Anyone have any experience with valuing early stage companies or things of this sort?
>>
>>1578558
if only moot were here....
>>
>>1578572
Um...
>>
>>1578558

It depends on the type of company, but it will be driven by the target market size, share it can take, and probably the feasibility of technology, if it is fairly speculative. You are usually wasting time if you try to build out a full blown DCF for a startup - estimating revenue (or user growth or something that's more intrinsic to the company's operation) for the next few years and applying a multiple from some comparable companies is usually more realistic.

I was involved with a startup (nothing to do with technology) that talked about raising money from some of the PE/VC investors who specialize in the space, but it was just too small of a ticket for them to get interested. We instead raised money from angel investors - we got a much, much, much better deal from them. Professional investors will want to be more involved in the company, which can be good or bad.

Aswath Damodaran's "The Dark Side of Valuation" talks a little about valuing early stage companies.
>>
>>1578558
I'm one stage before you. Having difficult times getting in touch with VC's to work with and pitch. We have our product and software complete and just need funding for FINRA licensing in order to move to the next step.

How'd you go about connecting with VC's.
>>
>>1578558

VC's don't try to put a value on the company, they invest in an idea they believe in and set up the structure of the terms/contract that pays them well for it. Although a post-money valuation is attached to the terms that they offer, it is not the same as a valuation. I literally have friends at startups that don't understand this crucial difference. The numbers thrown around are NOT valuations, they are valuations in the best-case exit scenario.

As for the rest of the stuff you asked--it's too vague. I don't think even you know what you're asking.
>>
>>1579071
Solid advice!
Know your exit strategy if you get VC involved.
My 2 cents
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.