[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do business hire those with connections over qualifications?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: 1476741543818.jpg (451KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476741543818.jpg
451KB, 1000x1500px
I don't fucking get it
>>
If your best friend vouched for someone would you trust that person more than a complete stranger?
>>
>>1572758
for the most part you're not special. We can train a monkey to do your job better than you do in less than a week.

your qualifications usually just don't matter.
>>
>>1572762
If my friend wants me to hire some retard but a more competent person wants the job why the fuck would I give it to the retard
>>
>>1572758
>Why do humans prefer tribalism to rational behavior
Gee I dunno, that really is a mystery!>>1572762
>>
A dumb person who works well with a team is better than a smart person who only works well alone.
>>
>>1572772
>If my friend wants me to hire some retard but a more competent person wants the job why the fuck would I give it to the retard

You're making an assumption that they're a retard.

Maybe you're the rerard
>>
>>1572774
This. We intentionally hire people that gel with our team even if they are under-qualified.

We can mold them and teach them and most importantly we can stand to be in the same room as them for 40 hours a week.
>>
>>1572774
That's why I'll eventually move into the woods.
>>
>>1572758
connections are a qualification in a way
here's an example
>you know a factory owner
>he will give you a good price on his product
>you make management of a retailer aware of your connection
>they hire you and get a lower price than everyone else on that product
>>
>>1572774
Ah, aspiring to mediocrity. And we wonder why the US is turning into a 3rd world hole right in front of our eyes.
>>
Business is about interpersonal skills. More-so now, since all the menial no-interaction desk jobs are disappearing. If I'm vouching for a friend, chances are they're socially competent. Spending 40 hours a week with a brilliant autist is no fun for anyone
>>
>>1572926
Then leave him alone and let him be brilliant at his fucking job. This idea that everybody's got to yap at each other about last night's Game of Thrones is more autistic than anything.
>>
>>1572758

It's about vouching for someone

You would'nt tell your boss to hire your friend unless you were certain he was a good worker who showed up on time. Otherwise it reflects badly on you.
>>
>>1572758
Being qualified, intelligent and experienced are great traits to have.

However, the world is really about who you know and less about what you know.

The quicker you accept this fact, the easier life is to understand. Start plotting your path relying on who you know just as much as what you know.
>>
>>1572758
I learned this the hard way. they kept the stupid/cheap ones and laid off the good ones. no wonder why the company is broke and ready to file bankruptcy.
>>
>>1572926
Absolutely correct. I never understood why businesses do this until I had group engineering projects in college. Unlike in high school, everyone in the group is likely to be competent and smart. So who would you rather work with, the guy whose GPA is 0.25 points higher but is an asshole, or the guy who's pleasant to be around?

Carry that forward to a business hiring: businesses cannot afford to take on bad hires, so it's way better to get someone you know you'll get along with.

Sometimes it's ultimately better sometimes worse, but that's the mindset in any case.
>>
>>1573802
But if the person who's being a dick is a more competent one and does a better job, why hire a retard? It doesn't matter if he's a dick or not, it matters if his competent and that he makes a contribution to the company he's hired by.
>>
>>1572916
>Ah, aspiring to mediocrity. And we wonder why the US is turning into a 3rd world hole right in front of our eyes.

[Citation NEEDED]
>>
>>1573898
And how would you know if this guy is competent? If he has connections, he can't be that bad. Otherwise those references would have dropped him or talked shit about him. If all you hear is how great this guy is, you're going to just hire him. If some guy comes at you, graduated with good grades, says he's good at stuff but how can he prove it before you hire him? You have to have someone who knows him well and can tell you all the pros and cons. It's also good to help people get hired because then they know they owe you a favor. Everyone wins. It's not even hard to get connections, you just have to show up and show people that you can do things. It doesn't matter if you're an autist, people will instantly be on your dick if they see that you're good
>>
>>1573903
I can give you at least 4.

If you are hiring, it's because your current team either can't do the volume of work or a type of work. What purpose, then, does it do to hire lazy or dumb people? Where does the responsibility to deliver maximum profit to shareholders vanish to when you start putting more dead weight on payroll, let alone do anything about that which has already accumulated?
>>
>>1574211
Why do you keep assuming they're deadweight?

Connections are valuable because people can vouch for your quality of work.

Think about it from their perspective.

>Hire random guy who seems he could be okay?

>Hire proven person who's known for his work quality

?
>>
>>1574220
Because I worked with some of these social people and all they produced was screwups and excuses? I mean maybe it's OK in sales but a tchnical field kind requires you to be, you know, technical. You can talk a customer into buying a shitty car or mutual fund but you can't talk an infinite loop into not gobbling every byte of RAM and crashing the server.
>>
>>1574230
Then again, this is about hiring and I'm coming at this from the angle of being hired and then handcuffed. I just don't see why a team of people who can't do something is better than 4 who can't and 1 who can. If the job isn't getting done, why have anybody on the payroll?
>>
>>1572964
This. Assuming you care about your job, you're not going to recommend someone who isn't a good worker.
>>
>>1573909
>how would you know if this guy is competent?

That's why you test them, both in the interview and beforehand. Why rely on hearsay if you can see them perform live?
>>
>>1572772
The point is that someone who's been recommended to you by a friend you trust is less likely to be a retard. How is this so difficult for you to grasp?
>>
The problem is that everyone will have their own anecdotes and think it will apply to everyone, everywhere. When tasks require teamwork, a person who doesn't work well with others will stymie progress on a project through their inability to communicate what they've done and what they need to do.
>>
>>1574230
If people keep recommending fuck ups to you maybe you should stop taking their recommendations. Your network might just be shit, which is your fault ultimately for cultivating a network of people who recommend fuck ups.

>>1572758
People trust recommendations more than qualifications because they assume that the recommendations are more trustworthy than the on-paper-only qualifications of a person they just met. Sure, a person's resume can state that they know what they are doing, but how can you trust that?

Anyone can get a degree and a cert or use creative language to turn a history of burned bridges and cratered projects into a gleaming portfolio, but if you've cultivated a network of friends and acquaintances that you trust or who have directly worked with the person being recommended then that's real experience you can use in your decision to hire.
>>
File: HLG.gif (194KB, 228x160px) Image search: [Google]
HLG.gif
194KB, 228x160px
>Implying you are better than trusted connections
>>
>>1572758
Because contrary to popular belief, anyone can do most jobs and their mediocrity or excellence is largely irrelevant, provided they perform the basic functions.

Much like trade or business or sex, the thing in and of itself is valuable and leveraging it is a good way to improve bonds between individuals.
>>
>>1572772
If the job can be done by an amicable retard then why not?

If you had friends or a real job this would be obvious, as people do not look for ways to cheat friends out of a favor.
>>
I got hired at an auto parts store through a connection even though I don't know anything about cars. Got on job training and learning as I work so it isn't all bad. It only made me learn how car guys are all fucking dirty thieves. Buying the cheapest parts while making their clients pay the price of a HQ one.
>>
More "intelligent" "rockstar" types are worse employees in 99% of cases.

>piss off customers
>piss off business partners
>people around them are less likely to help them and thus they need to work harder/longer to perform the same work
>delusions of grandeur lead them to leave the job faster and thus they cost more
>them being pricks leads to them not teaching the lower ranks
>them taking pride in being "better" leads to them certainly not teaching anyone how to be better, leads to worse team overall

You may not realize this but most jobs, especially highly technical ones are done by teams because you can't do it with one individual and if its important you can't have a single point of failure. Teams that get along work better.

also
>>1574836
>contrary to popular belief, anyone can do most jobs and their mediocrity or excellence is largely irrelevant, provided they perform the basic functions.

because you are a cog in a fucking machine. Please name a career field that relies solely on individual rockstars who don't have anything to do with the rest of the business.
>>
>>1572758

building connections IS a qualification.

In most of work/business, you have to build up rapport with customers, clients, vendors, and coworkers. If you can't do that, you're worth less.
>>
>>1574454
I don't hire these people.
>>
>>1574865
Wrong. Many of these jobs are perfectly doable by one person...IF they are actually skilled. An unskilled team is a self-fulfilling prophecy and these people don't learn skills because you just throw more bodies at them.
>>
>>1572758
holy shit, this happens everywhere
>>
Its why Arabs suck at war, and its why Saudi Arabia will usher in the greatest human catastrophe thus seen in history ( world war middle east).
>>
>>1572758
>I don't fucking get it
Too bad.

Speaking as 4th generation business owner here.

Why do people with multiple degrees take entry level jobs for entry level salary?
Why do you think the term overqualified exists while overconnected doesn't?
Because qualifications don't mean shit.

Connections, on the other hand mean fucking everything in business.
You understand why people golf right? Hint: Its not for fun.

Someone with connections can get you in the same circle as the right people.
Your company suddenly goes from small time to taking on big contracts or big clients.
Connections are what you need to break trough the real "glass ceiling"
You either build these connections over time, or hire someone who was born with them.
>>
>>1572758

companies want people who will turn their brains off and mush mush for good boy points that's why. If Chad can turn off his brain and he recommends Brad then Brad must also know how to be retarded.

just take a look at this faggot

>>1576165

can you imagine going into work every day and having to listen to this stupid mouth breathing douche "4th gen business owner" verbal diarrhea all over the place about how big his dick and balls are and how fucking great he is and how you're making him so much money?

If you answered yes you are qualified for many worthless pathetic jobs under the heel of people like this. If you answered no you are waking up and starting down the path of business owner where you crush little baby dick faggots like this out of business

money talks, bullshit walks you can be great at bullshitting and playing golf and being a bootlicker but if you can't PRODUCE ANYTHING OF VALUE you are nothing BUT your stupid connections. Connections only get you so far because, after all, money talks.

Dealer A plays golf with Mr Moneybags every month and their faggot kids go to the same school. They drink the same whiskey and Dealer A gets Mr Money a bottle every christmas. Dealer B contacts mister Moneybags and offers him 20% more for his cars. Who do you think Mr. Moneybags is going to sell his cars to?
>>
>>1576231
Dealer b wouldn't know Mr money bags or how to get in contact with him if he didn't have connections
>>
Tfw I am overqualified for my job yet I am in the middle pack for performing my duties
>>
>>1572772
because you owe your friend a favour and it's not a particularly important position

be less butthurt, you didn't get picked because you're shit
>>
>>1576249

>Hello yes I'm calling because I'd be willing to pay X amount of dollars per car and I believe it will make your boss money.
>Of course. Here are my credentials.
>Sure, I'll hold.
>Why hello Mr. Moneybags.

fucking cuck
>>
>>1576299
>he actually believes this is how it works
>>
>>1576314

>muh 4th gen business
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.