[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are programming bootcamps legit or a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: Dev-Bootcamp.jpg (152KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Dev-Bootcamp.jpg
152KB, 950x534px
Do they actually teach you shit? Do they ensure a job?

Current HS senior and have the ability to go to Uni or one of these after HS, know a bit of coding but not much
>>
Probably a meme. I'm not a CS or anything but I did take some coding in college. I took 'Introduction to Python and MATLAB.' It started with "Hello World" and ended with doing some pretty complex mathematics and algorithms. The normies that go to these bootcamps generally don't like heavy math. Take some of the free courses at MIT Opencourseware and see if you like actual CS before wasting money at a bootcamp
>>
Friend of a friend did it.

I think he did a year of hardcore courses and then immediately got a job paying $60k a year.

So I think it's legit if you work hard.
>>
>>1565602

A friend of mine did a 5 month bootcamp with zero experience and afterwards was immediately hired by Google.

She was a she though and tech companies hire any female coder regardless of skill.
>>
>>1565602
You will get hired with boot camp, and then fired because you know nothing about computers. Go to uni, learn why software works as it does. It greatly increases the cleanliness and skill in your coding.
>>
Went to a bootcamp and made 90k 4 months after starting. Just make sure you go to a legit bootcamp others ie you'll just be 10k poorer.
>>
This thread is triggering me
>>
>>1566825
Yeah, female privilege is real, knew someone she went to get BA Art History (admittedly Honors) and then did a bootcamp is is now working at Facebook.

I feel like transitioning to female and then taking a bootcamp just to make 90K as I am too dumb for engineering, I am a virgin anyway what the hell. If I don't cut the dong off I can transition back after getting rich and 5 years exp.
>>
>>1567321

our small team hired a bunch of girls out of a code boot camp to increase diversity (4 total), they all quit within 2 years. they were all very smart, i just don't think they were thoroughbred engineers, except for one. they all had arts degrees except for one who studied math in undergrad. they were probably making 100k+
>>
>>1567321

If you need practice giving blowjobs, give me a call.
>>
I used to be a computer programmer hopeful and let me tell you programming is not something you're going to find fun or enjoyable even if it pays the big bucks.

Do you really want to work 9-5 designing some fagshit games/websites that exclusively underage Hillary/millennial faggots use? I know it pays good money but so does prostitution.
>>
>>1567349

but i'd rather work at a job i don't like but get paid well than a job i don't like and get paid shit.
>>
>>1565602

you should torrent a bunch of these courses, watch the videos and and see how you like them. just search udemy, python, etc.
>>
>>1567381
It is my opinion that I'd like to die doing something I like and being able to look back without regret, even if it paid little. I've been paid obscene amounts and it just numbs you out at a certain point. Money is a very short term problem as weird and impossible as that seems.
>>
Boot camps are shit. They are for-profit universities with no accreditation whatsoever. No different than ITT tech except the course is shorter. They just shit out big numbers to draw people in. Pro tip: those are probably salaries from San Francisco where 60k is an absolute dogshit salary.

Don't learn to "code". Learn to fucking program. I'm so fed up with shitheads who take ridiculously basic shit and act like they're hot shit because they can write in Python but have NO practical experience.

Either go to a REAL university or learn how to use Github and become a major contributor to a big project.

You cannot learn to be an effective programmer in 12 weeks. I've been doing it for 6 years and I'm still shit.
>>
File: natalieportmanleon1.jpg (60KB, 620x466px) Image search: [Google]
natalieportmanleon1.jpg
60KB, 620x466px
Programming is a skill, or rather a born talent, where a person have born interest in programming (these kind of people like to build things in general) and if you do not have interst or talent it's a waste of time.

Thus, most of the well played programmers have started programming by hobby as early as 12-15yo. You have no business in programming if you are not able to compete with talented people. Companies do not want people who cannot do shit out of nowhere unlike this bunch of people who enjoy programming more than anything and have done it past 15 years
>>
Real computer scientist knows:
Complexity Analysis
Graph Theory
DFA/NFA Finite state machines, Kleene Star, Pumping Lemma, halting problem, Turing machines, etc.
C and other hardcore langs like LISP (the latter of which you do for elitism and to emulate GODs Stallman, Sussman...and genuflect to Lambda symbol in shrine by monitor).

Real CS Man knows how things work, boot camp code monkey is clueless and already made redundant by his soul brother Pajeet in Calcutta.
>>
Anyone else feel like an overwhelming sense of satisfaction after writing an algorithm?
>>
>>1567463
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Literally me

Hope you have a job at least, fyi always apply fuck what the hiring manager put up

>>1567529
Of course
>>
>>1567480

not everyone in tech is talented or need to be. it sounds laughable but it is fine to be mediocre. like any other industry, there are good programmers, average programmers, and bad ones. not everyone is going to work for the best companies with the highest pay. we are not all geniuses. a small, local company needs programmers too and obviously, the pay won't be as good. if only the best people in their industry should work, then only 5% of labor force would have a job.
>>
>>1567463

you can laugh at places like ITT all you want. but a friend got some kind of computer certificate there. he got a job at a non-profit, then moved to a bigger company, now he is doing IT at a big insurance company.

once you get through the door and have that first relevant job, you don't even need to mention ITT or whatever bootcamp on the resume anymore.
>>
File: 1463114791271.jpg (48KB, 550x474px) Image search: [Google]
1463114791271.jpg
48KB, 550x474px
>25 years old
>tfw too old to become a programmer
>>
>>1567675
people should die at 25 tbqh, it's all down hill from there.
>>
>>1567398
What do you do for work anon? I'm having doubt about whether or not I should continue working in software instead of trying to find something I like. I'm bored out of my mind 90% of the time at work. 10% of the times it's somewhat interesting, but I feel like work should be something more than that. Maybe it's because I didn't finish uni and don't know it on a higher level, but I will be 23 by the time I save enough money to be able to do something else and I don't really want to go back to school for comp sci. I was thinking about going to school to be an architect, but I don't know much about the job prospects. There are a lot of transferable skills between programming and architecture and I think I could make something out of it, but I don't know how realistic my vision of an architect is. The software dev salary is nice though there's no arguing with that, but looking back at your career as an architect and looking at all the landmarks you created has to be so fulfilling
>>
>>1567529
I'm in IT and if I ever do anything anything and it works flawlessly I just start cumming buckets immediately.
>>
Startup bro here. I've nearly 5 years experience doing development.

I never attended a bootcamp, but I've seen people graduate and easily make ~$65k starting.

If you've got some serious aptitude, you should be making $80-90k within a year after finishing.

These are for the good ones that take a few months and basically require you to eat, sleep, breath, whatever they're teaching you. My startup used to work our of Galvanize and I've met some of their graduates. Pretty damn good.
>>
>>1565602
They're a meme.

If you look on Linkedin about people who have taken a coding bootcamp, a lot of them already have at least a Bachelors degree.
>>
>>1565602
why get into programming when you can get into computer networking and cybersec?
>>
File: 1473957733278.jpg (31KB, 480x547px) Image search: [Google]
1473957733278.jpg
31KB, 480x547px
>>1567480
>Programming is a skill, or rather a born talent
Fucking lol. Tell me more about how you were writing assembly as a toddler
>>
>>1565602
I wouldn't waste money on a boot camp unless you know your math. There are alot of mathematical concepts that come from discrete math that are useful in software development. If I had to pick a course that was most useful for programmers that would be the one.
>>
>>1567688
>tfw 25 and having midlife crisis ;~;
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.