[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marketing is immoral. Prove me wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 1476316847674.gif (3MB, 725x447px) Image search: [Google]
1476316847674.gif
3MB, 725x447px
Marketing is immoral.
Prove me wrong.
>>
File: peacock-02[1].jpg (691KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
peacock-02[1].jpg
691KB, 1600x1064px
marketing is completely natural
>>
>>1565601
b-but how will people know they want to buy a product of I don't tell them they need it?
>>
You'll never be forced to absorb information or look at something.
>>
File: 5d6.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5d6.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>>1565607
>nature is ethical

if that was true, we wouldn't need ethics, dickhead.
>>
Helping money to gravitate from the stupid to the smart is a moral cause.
>>
>>1565620
its outside of ethics
>>
File: 1472443363830.jpg (28KB, 464x348px) Image search: [Google]
1472443363830.jpg
28KB, 464x348px
>>1565625
thats precisely my point , u dickface
>>1565627
humanity is part of nature, dick breath.
>>
>>1565601
People make stupid decisions anyway, the misleading and obscuring and overemphasis inherent in marketing is giving people more information to make informed decisions than in a environment/society where marketing didn't exist.

Also >>1565624 survival of the smartest. Marketing rewards those whose social skills or cognitive skills exceed those who make stupid decisions, the trickle down effect is they have more social capital because of their financial capital, and that translates into them being able to choose their mates and pass on their genetic material.

Having said that, no one ever actually needs a fucking Kardashian branded perfume, and both the people selling it and buying it should be brutally murdered or at least humiliated in a way where they literally think "oh my god I wish I was dead"
>>
>>1565601
>immoral
what's that?
>>
>>1565620
>ethics is the same as morality
wew lad
>>
>>1565607
>morality is natural
wew lad

>>1565617
not literally

>>1565624
You're confusing causation of reason, and moral responsibility.
Besides, morality is inherited, not taught explicitly.

>>1565625
Ethics is a law of reason and an intellectual knowledge of thought based on an objective sense of morality.

Morality is subjective, Ethics is a code.
>>
>>1565797
A meme taught to middle-class children.
>>
File: jewish.jpg (168KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
jewish.jpg
168KB, 396x594px
>>1565601
Humanity is wrong, not marketing tactics.

Because of the wrongness of humanity, smarter people can exploit the more dumb people to take their shit because they're so dumb and wrong.

Indecent Morality would be quite the opposite.
>>
Marketing is not about the smarter person talking to the dumber person. It is not about coercion, and it is not about manipulation.

It is about getting someone's attention and making them aware of your services.

Is it wrong to have a sign outside of your store telling people you sell pizza?
Is it bad to buy an ad in a newspaper informing people of your prices?

Marketing has been since the beginning of time a way to tell a larger mass of people what you can offer them.

"But my scammy advertisement meme"
Lying is immoral. Scams are bad.
If someone markets a scam, then the marketing itself is not immoral, it is the lie they are leading with.

If a craftsman makes a table that can't support itself, you don't say wood working is immoral.

expecting to have things handed to you while you hide away without trying to let the world know is just not natural. It is not the world's obligation to know you exist, it is your own to get your name out there.
>>
>>1565847
Spoken like a true sycophantic asshole.
Fuck you.
>>
>>1565855
Sounds like you don't like logical arguments.
>>
>>1565866
Firstly, you're not arguing anything.
Secondly, you can't argue the soundness of morality.
Thirdly, your "argument" may seem true, but it's false and wholly your opinion and not conducive to reality.
>>
File: 1474868668957.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1474868668957.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>1565822
>>1565808
Simple Definition of ethic
: rules of behavior based on ideas about what is morally good and bad
ethics : an area of study that deals with ideas about what is good and bad behavior : a branch of philosophy dealing with what is morally right or wrong
: a belief that something is very important
>>
>>1565601
Marketing persuades consumers to buy. Maybe in some macro-economic sense, stimulating the economy is overall productive and therefore moral but in a micro-economic sense, marketing makes it more likely for a product to be bought, INDEPENDENT of that products quality.

That's the immoral aspect, it reduces consumer agency through persuasion (which we know works) and often by reducing their access to true information by spamming irrelevant information or by providing misleading information.

Anything that reduces an individuals agency, which any form of deceit does, reduces their informed consent to purchase. That's immoral.

Anyway, applying morality to the free market is an excise in trolling.
>>
>>1565890
Marketing itself is not reducing agency. Your example of a low quality product being presented as higher is immoral because of the lie within in the marketing.

It is immoral to inherently lie, but marketing does not have to be used only for low quality products.

For instance, many hospitals market clinical hours or libraries market their public services.

Marketing is a means to promote a product, a general action doesn't have associated morality.
>>
>>1565663
ETHICS AREN'T THE SAME SHIT WITH MORALITY YOU DUMB CUNT
>>
File: work at mcdonalds .jpg (114KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
work at mcdonalds .jpg
114KB, 720x720px
>>1565601
>>>>>>/lit/
>>
File: 1472737971905.jpg (88KB, 718x820px) Image search: [Google]
1472737971905.jpg
88KB, 718x820px
>>1565912
>>
I am a marketer. My business as a whole offers a product that people are interested in. I provide information about my product to said people. They purchase it.

Just because I told them it exists, doesn't make me a bad person. Immoral marketing is not the same as all marketing. I am offering the customer the best product for the cost.

Marketing is bad when it's trying to sell a shitty product.
>>
>>1565909
>It is immoral to inherently lie, but marketing does not have to be used only for low quality products.
>Marketing is a means to promote a product, a general action doesn't have associated morality.
That's all true but you jumped on something that I didn't actually say.

>Your example of a low quality product
I didn't say that. I said that marketing was persuasive INDEPENDENT of the product's quality. It works well on good products and it works well on bad products. It just works.

Marketing dollars = increased sales

That's why marketing is inherently immoral, because it is an axis that has nothing to do with quality.
>>
>>1565888
It's a branch of philosophy that deals with morality.
It is not morality.
Morality is arguably something innate in a human.
Morality is something you teach your child when they are young.
Ethics is a system of beliefs to determine right and wrong.
A moral person can still practice Ethics, but an Ethical person doesn't necessarily have to be moral.
>>
>>1565958
He's right. Ethics isn't the same as morality.
>>
>>1565601

try r9k
>>
>>1566374
Try this dick, motherfucker.
>>
File: 1398930111135.jpg (158KB, 677x816px) Image search: [Google]
1398930111135.jpg
158KB, 677x816px
>they fell for the morality meme
>>
>>1565927
how did you get an image to suck that hard
>>
>>1565601
amoral you nigger, read a dictionary.
>>
What kind of shitty troll thread is this OP
>>
>>1565601
How is it immoral dipshit?
You can't claim something and have others prove you wrong instead of backing it up with evidence.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.