[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Estate investment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
I don't make very much, about 29k per year. I spend about 17k per year on all living expenses, and I have no debt.
Houses around me are super cheap, 20-30k will buy a small two story, fully usable 1980s mold free house in a safe area within 5 miles of civilization.
So I am going to buy one outright. Rent is 700 a month, so I'm guessing 550 a month less expenses if I own.
Once that happens I will be able to save about 20k/year. Wait 2 years, buy nicer 40k house, rent out older one to friend for 600/month, keep 300/month, now save 23k/year. Keep doing this till I run out of reliable friends, then move on to real estate management company.
Pic related is the sort of house one can get for 30k.
I work in a foreign country as an English teacher, and we get a constant flow of 3-5 year residents. We all overpay for tiny apartments, and I figure most people would rather pay 600/month for a house than a shoebox apartment with a landlord who doesn't speak English.
I've worked for contractors and hardware stores and foundation engineers all my life until now, reroofed my old house back in America. Maintenance is something I can mostly do myself.

People who do this, tell me about it. I know it's not easy money, but I am not afraid of very hard work.
>>
>>1565373
It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, how are natural disasters in the area?

Also I thought English teachers in Asian countries made more than that
>>
>>1565429
I'm in Japan. The yen fell in recent years, so 2.9 mil yen would have been 40k a couple years ago. Don't care cause houses cost the same for me either way. JET program gives you 3.6 mil yen, but doesn't allow indefinite stay. We have earthquakes, but too far from mountains for landslides, too far from ocean for tsunami. Even ten year typhoons are wimpy storms by the time they get here. Easy weather, winter 20f, summer 90f.
>>
>>1565373
F A T C A ?
>>
>>1565373
30k down or full equity?
>>
>>1565591
My company helps me file American taxes. You don't have to pay the US for foreign earnings, I'd be paying Japanese taxes instead.
>>1565722
30k in total. Some parts of Japan you can find houses for $500. Some people give them away.
I can't get a loan without permanent residency status, and that requires several years of employment.
>>
If you can do your own maintenance, it makes good sense. I understand a lot of Japanese landlords don't like to or flat out won't rent to foreigners, anyway. You wouldn't even need to have the cheapest place in town.
>>
I pretty much do the same, but only in my home country.

Definitely get professional consultations on legal and tax matters. Can you even own real estate as a gaijin? (some countries have crazy laws against foreigners owning land) What are the applicaple codes and standards? (don't want to buy a house that has to be torn down or is deemed unsafe to tenants) What is rent law like? Is rent capped? Are there term limits? How's termination looking? Any liabilities you should know of? Are there records you have to keep? Any special fees and taxes? etc
Even doing this domestically is a red tape nightmare. I can't imagine doing it in Japanese. And make sure you don't fuck up. The Japanese criminal system is horrendously unfair. If they ding you once you're fucked.

You have an interesting idea, there seems to be a niche market and you come in with a nice USP as an English-speaking landlord. But are you sure there is demand? Do people in JET and the likes really want to live 5 miles outside of civilisation? They're probably reliant on public transit, right? And are there so many schools and other work opportunities for foreigners in rural areas that this is sustainable? I know for a fact there are already housing agencies for expats in Japan, so unless you register with one of those I wouldn't count on lots of foreign workers coming to you.

300 profit a month on 30k initial investment almost seems too good to be true. Residential properties usually don't amortise in under 10 years. If it's that easy - why wouldn't everyone do it? Make sure to run the numbers properly and not just guess. Make sure to watch the actual rent market in that area what the going rates and the demand are like.

Also, how's your job security looking? You're going to tie down most of your assets without permanent residence and your investment scheme relies mostly on your salary. If either of those stops you're pretty much fucked. You're betting a lot on one horse here.
>>
>>1566086
Thank you for the well thought out advice. I can tell you actually do this stuff as opposed to pretending on the internet.

I indeed can own real estate as a gaijin. It is apparently quite easy to buy houses and land in Japan as a foreigner. I will look into the things you mentioned. Since I won't be renting my first house for at least 3 years, that should give me time to get pretty well fluent in the language and start studying relevant law. I speak it pretty well now, 3 years it should be in the bag. Definitely getting some pro help on the laws and stuff too.

The company I work for rents cars to a lot of their employees, many of whom live in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much all of these companies focus on rural areas. It seems big cities are dealt with by Japan's government some other way. They probably just hire competent foreigners as primary English teachers, rather than assistants. Whatever the case, I plan to primarily rent to Japanese people through a property management company after I run out of responsible friends.

Job security is pretty good. Have friends who have been here for 8 years. Japanese government just increased the requirements for English study in schools so there is a strong demand. I've heard in some places actual autists even get hired. Even if I were to lose my job, there are a bunch of other places that would hire me, especially with the Olympics coming up. By the time that rush dies down I should have permanent residency.

The reason I want to invest in houses is simple utility. Regardless of where the stock market goes or what country defaults, people will always need a place to live. Tokyo is filling up and communities are creating incentives to lure people back out of Tokyo. The government is strongly encouraging people to breed. Even if housing prices plummet, I will still have a place to live. If my salary suddenly stops I still have all the houses I bought outright, which I can either sell or continue renting.
>>
>>1566086
Could you tell me more about your work? I'm basing my numbers on what my parents house in America costs to keep running, which is less than $100 a month excluding utilities. Japanese houses may be even cheaper, as they are smaller and lack central heating and AC. They all just have a glorified window box heater AC that costs $500 outright and lasts for years. Property taxes are low. Adding in a big fudge factor I imagine $300 a month should cover it.

I am just guessing, I will research.

For apartment rates you can get a tiny one for $350 a month if you do your own research, get yourself a guarantor etc. $500 a month if you just want the easy way out with a Leopalace-brand rent-to-anybody shoebox. Houses are more expensive, but you can find them for under $1000. Probably not without a lot of work if you are a gaijin.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.