[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Econ Major Tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: bernranke .jpg (20KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
bernranke .jpg
20KB, 530x298px
First midterm for microeconomics tomorrow lads.

Any tips on what I should do as an Econ major that could increase my chances of getting hired in the financial industry?

I have strong maths skills so I'm not the usual STEM washout, but I'm only B-level in Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.

I'm especially interested in getting a job in Forex, if that'd be possible, but I'd honestly be happy anywhere in the financial industry to be honest.
>>
What kind of school do you go to?
>>
>>1564776
It's not an Ivy, so I'm not sure what my chances are of getting hired at a big firm like Goldman, but it's somewhere in the thirties for nationwide ranking.
>>
>>1564782
Do big firms recruit at your school? That's the easiest way.
>>
>>1564790
It's in Boston, so we get a lot of recruiters from State Street. I haven't seen anything bigger than that, but there were a bunch of people from PricewaterhouseCoopers a few weeks ago in the business school so I think there should be some people from Goldman coming at some point. I'd have to ask a prof or upper classmen (current freshman).
>>
>>1564795
Just get involved and read a lot, then go to the events the companies hold at your uni (I go to a shit uni in a backwater state and fucking GOOGLE came to my school???)

Usually schools have trading clubs or similar shit. Just try and join those.

Assuming you're at a BU/BC/Brandeis-ish school, there's probably even econ research going on. What's your math background like currently? You could get involved in that after a year or so of coursework. That would make you standout, probably.
>>
>>1564802
Taking linear algebra as a freshman. The university owns a private high school that I went to and in junior and senior year i got to take courses in math at the Uni, so I'm a bit ahead.

I emailed my econ professor, the TA (PhD candidate), and an econ professor whom my friend knows outside of uni (really good family friends) to see if they're currently participating in any research that I could potentially get in on. Also I'm considering emailing my linear algebra prof, since his bio says that he used to work in finance during the 90s and he seems to have a high opinion of me.
>>
>>1564810
You're probably going to be in a similar spot to me math-wise (I also took linear as a freshman). Calculus, diffeq, and statistics are also the most important pre-analysis classes.

If you have connections go ahead and email them. It might be hard for you to be productive at an early stage. Econ people don't _usually_ have grants so they can't invest in you with grant funding (pay you to work, which is why I'm working in the sciences for now).
>>
>>1564816
So for now should I sit tight? I'm a member of the stock market club at my university and we'll be doing some simulated competitions later in the year, would these be useful to present in some kind of resume form if I apply for any positions at high level firms? (assuming I beat the S&P or something)
>>
>>1564819
I don't know anything about what people in IB etc. look for because I'm not even interested in that (and I live thousands of miles away and go to a university where they would laugh me out of the building if I tried to apply).

But I assume putting that you're a member of the club on your resume wouldn't hurt.

Sitting tight is fine but just be cognizant of opportunities.
>>
>>1564826
So as an econ major, would IB be the best path for me in finance? This board tends to do a decent amount of roasting of IBs, is it really a good career path?
>>
>>1564831
I'm probably not the best person to ask about that. It's fine if you are willing to work really long hours in a high stress environment for the hope of something better. Not particularly my cup of tea.

The living expenses in Boston and New York are also super high imo. It's kind of absurd, coming from where I'm at (where 1 bedroom apartments are 300 dollars a month lol)
>>
>>1564837
My parents live in Cambridge, which is like 20-30 minutes out of downtown Boston, and my three maternal aunts live in Park Slope, so I'm not really sure if living expenses will be a problem in the case of either arrangement.

Why do IBs have such long hours? Are they just doing research on what stocks they should buy and stuff or investing in multiple time zones?
>>
>>1564843
I think you have some big misconceptions about what entry-level IBs do. They don't pick stocks really but work on mergers and acquisitions. Try reading this:

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/week-in-life-investment-banking-analyst-sunday-monday/
>>
>>1564766
>I'm especially interested in getting a job in Forex
I have no experience with how they hire so this is just me guessing, maybe it wouldnt hurt you, and maybe even help if you did a in depth study of things like orderflow, market microstructure, market making, and macroeconomic and intermarket analysis(such as the convergence/divergence of yields of bonds from different countries), and quantitative analysis such as stochastic and time series analysis, and whatever other concepts institutions use to trade?
>>
>>1564802

If you're at BC let's meet sometime

I'm a sophomore in Econ
>>
File: image.jpg (486KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
486KB, 720x1280px
>>1566147

Meant for >>1564766
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.