[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I fell for the STEM meme 3rd year comp. engy and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
29KB, 633x758px
>I fell for the STEM meme

3rd year comp. engy and I'm sick of it. I barely go the lectures and I'm behind in math. I wanted to learn about philosophy and become a documentary filmmaker but I fell for the meme. I'm 23 years old and it feels like my life is basically over.
>>
>>1563502
You're still learning math in 3rd year?

Are you doing part time uni or have you repeated or something?
>>
>>1563502
try r9k
>>
>>1563505
There's a bunch of math classes in my degree, I thought that was standard.

Analysis, algebra, function theory, systems/transforms, statistics, numerical analysis etc.

But that isn't the point.
>>
>>1563516
I'm in CompEng and we basically take math constantly until end of 2nd year. None in 3rd of 4th year, however, it is kind of optional if you want to put the 2 classes in 2nd year at the end as they aren't pre requisetes for anything.

Your life isn't over. I'm sure if you have done an internship or have good grades you can get a job outside of Comp Eng.

Philosophy and Film making won't get you jobs or high pay if they do.
>>
Face it, you would've put off reading Foucault and writing essays too. git gud for your own sake.
>>
>>1563502
It's not a meme, you are just retarded
>>
>>1563502
So quit. Lord knows we need another Engineer that hates the profession less than we need a motivated documentary filmmaker.
>>
>>1563502
go back to >>>/r9k/ faggot
>>
>>1563502
CompSci is "more fun" than ComEngy. Look into that.
>>
>>1563502
You don't need a degree to make documentaries.
>>
You can still do shit outside your job you know?
I just graduated from Computer Engineering too and my boss moonlights as an amateur cinematographer for indie movies.

Anyways, why the fuck is this in /biz/?
>>
>>1563502

That's what you get for following the "high pay, stable career".

t. accounting dropout after 2 years
>>
>learn basic software development
>take a year building your simple software
>sell it to the US gov under subscription contract (gov agencies are all boomers with retard level computer skills).
>pretend to update and maintain your software.

I've used software that was nothing more than an excel worksheet with a different UI. The agency (lodging) paid over $1200 per month for this shit. Each lodge pays that much for this software "support" and there are about 13 lodges just in this region. I'm just saying if I could go back again I would study comp sci or eng.

Of course this assumes you actually learn practical skills from the degree program, which more than likely you just learn abstract math...
>>
>>1563502
>calls STEM a meme
>wants to be a philosophy documentary filmmaker
And he's single, ladies! ;) ;) ;)
>>
>>1564457
STEM isn't bad in itself, the meme is taking a long and difficult degree to work with something you don't enjoy
>>
>>1564110
Clases past intermediate is where shit gets more fun than hard.

Shoulda kept going, mate
>>
>>1564110
God please PLEASE TELL ME MORE
I've been eyeballing accounting for some time now. Why did you drop out? I'm prone to fucking up constantly, tell me I'm wasting my time
>>
File: 1465411307300.gif (938KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
1465411307300.gif
938KB, 500x339px
>>1564660
It's an amazing field to get in, but you'll need a master's and a CPA certification to stay relevant. Most jobs are fine, but shit like Bookkeeping is going to die out thanks to technology.

There's no skill required in learning it, only hard discipline. You can procrastinate on most of your classes and get good grades, but you'll need at least 300 hours of constant studying for the CPA exam.

All you really need that requires any communication skills is getting an internship. Other than that, enjoy your Semi-NEEThood.
>>
>>1564660

Don't get me wrong, some people probably actually enjoy accounting.

But, from my point of view, accounting is BORING AS FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Like "kill me now"-level. I couldn't stand it.
Also, the salary is considerably sub-par compared to how shitty the degree is. You will start at 50k (which is basically a few k's more than a fucking human resources degree) and can quickly top at 70k, but unless you work like a bitchslave at a big 4 for several years or you work for 10+ years (which, let's face it, isn't the same as being a school teacher for 10 years) you won't get much further past that.

If it paid 80k+ starting I might reconsider my position but 50k for being a slave in 2016 at a big 4? Fuck thaaaaaaaaat.

Just fuck accounting in the ass. It's unbelievably boring.
>>
>>1564691

In what field do you work, exactly? Audit, tax, industry, management accounting?
>>
>>1563502
>get mechanical engineering bachelors with 3.9 GPA
>can't get job, only calls back i get are for shit contract positions that pay 2/3rd of average starting salary
>enter shit phd program instead
>in 4th year right now, getting paid as much as a burger flipper
yeah, STEM sure worked out great for me. if you have connections it's great, but otherwise if you're from an entirely blue collar background like me it's better to just go to military or trades route. otherwise you'll waste your 20s just to get where people were able to get straight out of undergrad.
>>
>>1564724
None, I'm just spouting out shit my professor told me. I'm taking Advanced right now, haven't even made it past undergrad.

I heard industry is a lot of fun, though. I really want to get in forensic accounting, but that's 20 years worth of experience ahead.
>>
>>1564691
Oh thank christ, sounds right up my alley

>>1564720
I'm fine with no stimulation at the workplace
>>
>>1563516
Why the fuck do you have to take an Algebra class for CE? That makes zero sense.
>>
>>1564784
Assuming by Algebra you mean Abstract (because you mentioned analysis etc.)
>>
>>1563502
This post pisses me off
>>
>>1563502
The magic of film is that you don't need a degree in it to make films. Only uneducated manchildren do.
>>
>>1564110
>>1564691
Current International Biz major, seriously considering swapping it for accounting. Should I do it or no? We do get accounting class in our major and it's my favorite class so far because I love ordering shit down and finance. However, I'm aiming for a more managerial position wherever i work. what should i do?
>>
>>1565708
finance would be more applicable to managers than accounting
>>
>>1564727
What PhD program? If it's a good one, it can't be that much of a waste of time senpai
>>
>>1564727
This has been an unsettling realization for me too. I also did mechanical engineering, but coming from a pretty poor background with zero connections makes for a bad combo.

So many of my peers got hooked up with internships which led to permanent positions because of family connections of just complete bullshit connections.

Grades don't mean shit.
>>
>>1564720
It's not boring when you've seen the other side of pure labor and work and tax rape. It actually becomes really interesting when it is your money or your people's money.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.