[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Investment advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Say I make a little over 100k a year, and I'm in my mid-to-late 20s. What if I put about 15% of my after tax yearly income into stock only mutual funds.

Would I be able to make quite a bit over time? Could I compound that?
>>
Live well below your means, save 30-40% post tax, live like a king in retirement.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 571x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 571x448px
Holy fuck you're braindead. How do you even make 100k a year asking dumb questions like that.

I'm serious.
>>
>>1558764

Well, you could help by explaining yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>1558770
I really can't since you didn't do any research in the first place. Biz isn't here to hand everything to you on a golden platter.
>>
>>1558820

That's rude. I figured you could give some basic helpful advice.
>>
>>1558698
YES YOU WILL MAKE MONEY, ESPECIALLY IF YOU REINVEST THE DIVIDENDS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. CONSIDER BUYING ETF's INSTAED OF MUTUAL FUNDS. MUTUAL FUNDS HAVE HIGH MANAGEMENT FEES WHICH WILL CUT INTO YOU PROFITS.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-11-12-13-11.png (455KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-11-12-13-11.png
455KB, 1080x1920px
>>1558856

Hrm
>>
>>1558843
Honestly that's what you're going to get here.

>>1558747 had it right- modify your lifestyle to live on 40-50% of your income and start saving and investing the 60-50% you don't use.

Start by depositing what you don't use into a high-yield savings account to start with, focus on paying off ALL of your debt. After you are debt free, start investing in a mutual fund. Once you put a healthy amount in that (~250k), invest in some high yield 5 year CD's and 10y Treasury notes.

If you are legitimately saving half your income no questions asked you should have 500k being invested and growing within 10 years, which should be growing. At 10 years you should be sitting at about 750k, and if you stick with it for 20y, you can retire at the age of 40 with ~2 million.
>>
>>1558856
Only problem with etf's is you have to manage them yourself and SHOULD be rebalancing every year, and considering this guy probably has zero investment sense, they wouldn't be a great idea for him.
>>
>>1558932
Do note that the return on investment I used is 7% that should be an average over the course of 7 years, considering not only ups and downs of investment returns, but also an increase in savings over the years as you gain more annual pay.
>>
>>1558932

I would be more than 40 after 20 years lol.
>>
>>1559240
Oh fuck, that's supposed to be 40's. Mb.
>>
Honestly I think I've given up giving out investment advice to the public.

Even on the premise that OP earned 100k per year (chances are about one in 12 that he will actually achieve that) and observing saving and spending habits in the US he would likely save less than 10k per year, probably even less than 5k.

At this rate it takes ages to achieve any positive effect that actually comes close to substituting your salary.
>>
>>1558965
>Do note that the return on investment I used is 7%
>invest in some high yield 5 year CD's and 10y Treasury notes.

And that guys and gals, is what we call out of touch with reality.
>>
>>1559289
How so? I've always seen CD's and T Notes as good, safe investments.
>>
>>1559298
10 year treasury notes are currently sitting at 1.7% and falling. Assuming a 7% average in that case is entirely ridiculous.
>>
>>1559306
No no, with the mutual fund, the CD's, and the T Notes over a period of 20 years with the addition of raises should AVERAGE OUT to be 7%. I'm not saying it's gonna be 7% every year- shit this year, he'd only have like 4% overall, but the economy is gonna pick back up in the next 3 years and he should start growing more
>>
>>1559321
The Fed's inflation goal is 2%, The treasury notes are basically only slightly better than cash, they're seen as a super safe investment that guarantees that you at least don't lose money, they're not helping in a portfolio where you bet on compound interest to make you rich.

Assuming that salary scales like interest is also super sketchy. For most jobs there is a de facto salary cap that only scales with inflation, if you're lucky.

So for 7% to be the average, you would have to have an extraordinary performance on the mutual fund, which is just not realistic. By now we do know that index funds outperform most traders.
>>
>>1558698
>>1558698
>>1558698
>>1558698

Forget ETFs. They are traded as shares so unless you buy in big volume they are a money sink. Put your money into a diversified selection of index tracker funds.
>>
>>1559344
The CD and T notes aren't supposed to be a major contribution, just a piece of the portfolio that is guaranteed not to lose money.

As for the mutual fund, 7% is kind of a wishful number, but if the economy pics up like it's supposed to, it's entirely possible.
>>
>>1558698
Maximise your pension contributions for maximum tax advantages and compounding interest.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.