[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stock Portfolio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: mfwpickingstocks.jpg (136KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mfwpickingstocks.jpg
136KB, 800x533px
>A blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a newspaper's financial pages could select a portfolio that would do just as well as one carefully selected by experts
-Burton Malkiel

Why haven't you started throwing darts yet, /biz/?
>>
>>1554154

cos im not an expert. picking stocks as an expert is hard as hell, harder than being an individual investor. they have millions to invest and have to choose companies that minimise their risk.
>>
>>1554179
>missing the point of the quote
>>
>>1554187

I got the point . And still, you have my answer. You gotta remember the whole "cant beat the market" thing applies over the long term, and applies to the average investor (who is a moron, think of all the URRE or AUPH threads here with people who panic sell and then lose tons).

You can earn yourself good returns by learning how to read the financial accounts and picking good shares
>>
>>1554190
>applies to the average investor

Actually... most mutual and hedgefunds can't even manage to outperform the market
>>
>>1554190
>>1554179
ur a fuckwit just stfu.
u completely missed the point
>>
>>1554194

Well I agree, there is certainly a lot of research that also says the experts can't do it either. And indeed, in the long run passive investments win out overall.

But, as Greenblat says, the academic studies do have some flaws, notably what they consider to mean "failed to beat the market".

Institutional investors find it harder to beat the market than little guys because they have millions to invest and have to select maybe 200 stocks for their fund.

They won't even consider looking to invest at a company with a market cap of under 2 bil (just as an example), and small investors can make huge gains with moves like that.

>>1554195
I didn't miss the point at all, you dribbling retard.
>>
>>1554179
>cos im not an expert.
The point of the monkey quote is that you don't have to be an expert. That in the long run it doesn't really matter.

What you should do is
>Diversify
>Avoid high Fees (loads)
>Know that Compound Returns build Wealth (rule of 72)
>Understand that there is no Return without Risk
And take your best shots from there.
>>
>>1554204
Alright, I'm sorry i didn't make myself clear. Yeah I get the point of it is that it doesn't really matter who you are, but in reality, you don't want to try and beat the market in the long term, you want to make the best gains you can with your money over your own timeframe and with your own risk profile.

as to the rest of your points, I agree. I have a broke who removes the monthly platform fees for people who make 1 or more share trades a month, and buying funds is free, making dollar-cost averaging for vanguard funds a joy.

For share investing I select cash-generative companies with a good asset position, good record of earnings growth, good ROCE, and positive chairman statements/recent company news.

I basically follow Graham, Buffett, and an english investor you've never heard of called Jim Slater
>>
>>1554206
>basically follow ... Buffett,
You do M&A, acquire control positions, enforce horizontal mergers, consolidate management, and synergize with your other portfolio companies?

Wow, I had no idea we had such a baller on the board.

/s
>>
>>1554259

No. I look for companies with good fundamentals, ideally with strong franchises
>>
>>1554154
Most retarded qoute ever.

>could select a portfolio
>could

It could also, by chance, chose the same portfolio as you or the worst possible portfolio. Amazing work Mr. Malkiel
>>
>>1554260
That's the autismo who loses his mind whenever someone suggests an investment strategy that isn't "go all-in on index funds."
>>
>>1554316
>Most retarded qoute ever.
But also very true. If you look up statistics on this sort of thing you'll see that it's entirely chance.
>>
Yes, but who can afford to keep a monkey around these days? They are less expensive than a financial manager, but are messier.
>>
>>1554260

> No. I look for companies with good fundamentals, ideally with strong franchises

Even though Buffett was a VC, but w/e. That's why he looked into the fundamentals. Cause' by the time he was purchasing stocks, it was to take over a business and own it himself.

Are you planning on purchasing a business through the acquiring of stocks?
>>
>>1554190
>>Wow. Someone who did not broken sentence retort. This is actually well thought-out reply.

You have to remember outliers. You can have perhaps 20% of 'averages' dumping into dollar stocks and somehow came out 500-600% ahead. And those who (30%) dumped at the first sign of trouble or bagholder from failed dollar stocks. This is why if you looked at moving averages of the non-institutional/ institutional investors you would actually see a difference. BTW long term investment in any sector (10yr>) has significant risk, and we know banks are doing some funny shit with derivatives stretching back from 10-12yr periods. So the comparison using this qualifier is hardly worth.
>>
>>1554190
Before I lose you to the utter masses of 4chan.

What do you think of the report on interest rates? If banks decide to trigger a sell off to put pressure on Fed and European banks to keep 0?% interest will they likely do it? If anything after coming off 52w high derivatives they've been under performing, also that poor market data might trigger a very real panic. Should I short? Or should I buy in in case DB shinanigans repeats. ofc I only invest really haven't shorted anything yet, and can only watch with cold sweat when people talked about DB which I almost shorted last September
>>
>>1555078
buy a long straddle if you can. i don't trade options personally, but it's real tempting. primarily trade forex
>>
>>1555099
It's that volatile? Had to google long straddle, though.

>>Then again, I had mentioned options. What's current forex like? Sorry I've been thinking of moving out of usual stocks given how little I know of them the more I read into it. Forex sounds a bit more solid. What's that like? Would google this but don;t know where even to start.
>>
>>1555122
long straddle is enormously profitable if the market shits itself. just look at brexit. nobody fucking expected that. you pay a set amount of money for potentially unlimited profit. and your max loss is limited to the amount paid to purchase the options.

forex moves with big money. big money can't move without making waves. i moved from trading stock, then futures to forex. and i'm looking into options now. i'm only putting in small money into forex but it's predictable for my brain. it's amusing that people say you can't predict the markets. i've executed no less than 6 trades/month over the last 6 months and have been 100% profitable. not big returns, more to prove to myself that it is possible. it was important to learn stock and futures before trading forex. i learned a lot of lessons.

i'll give you one tip: the 7 major currencies will not collapse to 0 like a stock might. if they did; 1. there will be warning before such an event 2. the entire world will be going to shit and you'll have more important things to worry about. that right there is a huge advantage already.
>>
>>1555131
This sounds like something I might actively switch over to. This might be overextending my welcome. But I've classes in the morning, and this thread will get archived and I've tons more questions my tired mind can't think up at the moment. At least the worthwhile ones. Here's my email, hopefully no troll but.....

I would very much appreciate keeping in contact. I will do my end of the research, but I figure as always, experience examples constitutes the other 55% of the need to know.
>>[email protected]
>>
>>1555152
sent you an email. i've read lots of books. probably stock market wizards series by jack schwager is the best. they have some methods you might use but more importantly you see the mindset needed. you can't beat the market if you're not obssessed. this is not a game. it's a job.

you're right about experience. i've used very little of what i read. it was the staring at charts for endless hours that gave me trading plans to test. my life was on hold for 6 months prior to starting to trade forex as i grasped this crazy trading idea and worked out the details and backtested.
>>
>>1554591
>its true

Ye no shits its true. If you had a thousand monkeys pounding on typewritets they "could" also type out all of shakespears work so why would you ever need shakespear? herp derp?

As i recall it, the experiment took the stocks "picked" by the monkey and ranked the portfolio gains with other portfolios picked by expects and then it did no worse than them. Thats the point
>>
>>1555533
Checked, but holy fuck are you retarded.

>the experiment took the stocks "picked" by the monkey
There was no experiment, and it wasn't monkeys. It was darts thrown against a list of stocks. The fucking thing was done for 14 years -- how are you so ignorant?

Anyway, the Wall Street Journal (heard of them?) stopped doing it years ago. And even the guy who first postulated the thought experiment (author of "Random Wall Down Wall Street" -- heard of it?) acknowledged that it was only done for fun.

I understand that you're just a student, and this is just 4chan. But can you possibly put some effort into your posts, or just not post at all when you're this fucking clueless? We're trying to raise the level of discourse on /biz/ and you're one of the biggest culprits.

Sorry, Had to be said.
>>
>>1556804
ihaz can you start posting with your trip again I can't deal with your posts not getting filtered.
>>
>>1556867
>1 post by this ID

>2016
>defending tripfags
Sad.
>>
>>1554316
Is English not your first language? I guess not. In this context, "could" means "will" on a statistical macro level.
>>
File: 1395521079318.png (472KB, 488x719px) Image search: [Google]
1395521079318.png
472KB, 488x719px
>>1556804
>here was no experiment, and it wasn't monkeys. It was darts thrown against a list of stocks.

>no monkeys

You do know that humans are great apes right? I understand that you're just a student, and this is just 4chan. But can you possibly put some effort into your posts, or just not post at all when you're this fucking clueless? We're trying to raise the level of discourse on /biz/ and you're one of the biggest culprits.
>>
>>1558187
>apes
>monkeys

Now I know you're trolling. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>1558187
Apes aren't monkeys you mouth-breathing retard.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.