[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making money on social media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (12KB, 300x300px)
unnamed.png
12KB, 300x300px
Hey /biz/ has anyone here every made money of social media ads? Twitter, instagram, facebook? I recently started a twitter account the post memes to try my luck and getting semi-big, big enough to get ads. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
>>
Sure man. I'm the social media manager for a mid size company. I pull in 70k a year with bennies, 401k, the works. Cush gig.
>>
>>1552502
yeah sure

for credibility, i've owned several accounts from 200k-1m followers individually, with a reach of probably around 5m+ across twitter/instagram. i did this for about 4 years and made around ~510k in net profit. at the end i was bought out for 350k. so yeah i left with about 3/4 of a mill. now i consult from time to time, and since im on down time, ill give you free shit. (fyi my billing rate is roughly 120/hr, so take it as you will)

imo, facebook was good before (algo switches and bullshit make it hard today), but money makers is definitely twitter and instagram. also something to look at is snapchat, engagement is very fucking good, but it's a bit of a different platform but migrating from ig -> sc is relatively easy.

your best friend is going to be followliker, google that and learn. also if you are creative, learn to write scripts with python (good libraries to get familiar with are beautifulsoup and selenium, you can get very good scraping skills)

scaling your first account is going to be the hardest, because you have no leverage/momentum, so your going to either:

1. steal content and get engagement
2. suck dick and pay for shoutouts

so choose one and follow through. you cannot monetize for shit if you have low followers.

(cont)
>>
>>1552544
once you have a sizable amount of followers, i'd say around ~150k+, you can start scaling and monetizing.

but first i'd start with scaling, then monetize.

to scale remember, you choose one niche for your first account and then you can slowly link your shit else where.

your first account will have your target market, so then you introduce new accounts to your target market that they would be interested in.

let's say i have a motivational quotes page with 150k followers. i can then start up new accounts that would appeal to the target market (i'd assume it's called self-help?). such new accounts would be maybe a fitness account, or a luxury car account, shit like that. and basically you just shoutout these accounts through your first account.

ex:
*picture of fancy cars*
motivationacc "Check out @FancyCarsAcc for the coolest cars"

crude example, but you get the point.

eventually you will want to aim to have an "empire" of 15+ accounts and have REACH. once you have 1m in reach you can start monetizing.

(cont)
>>
>>1552560
the simple rule to monetize is that as long as you can push an agenda/product, you can make money.

if you are in the fitness niche, you can push supplements.
if you are in the makeup niche, you can push eyeliner.
if you are in the artist niche, you can push paintbrushes.
if you are in media, you can push a decision.
etc.

basically, brands/companies/corps will pay you to advertise their product through your account. good accounts are able to do this subliminally.

im not going to link any accounts directly, but next time you see a snippet of a hollywood movie on your twitter timeline, with the caption "OMG! This is so funny, he wild, he a savage for this", trust me, it was a paid tweet by the company that made the movement.

you need to be able to have that skill where you can advertise their product without it seeming to be an advertisement. this is also why smm (social media marketing) is considered a grey area, so you can get fucked legally depending on the certain restrictions involving advertisement on your product.

(cont)
>>
>>1552502

How much are you making currently OP if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>1552544

But how do you monetize your account? Doing advertisement like "hey those shoes are great" or so?
>>
>>1552579
Literally nothing im a business student at the moment but i wanna try to start this on the side
>>
>>1552573
and that's honestly the real gist of it. your best case scenario would be like mine where you have A FUCKTON of influence over a certain niche and get bought out. do i regret it? no, i mean, sure i might live in some bullshit ass apartment and drive a bucket, but with money comes responsibility, so when you get very lucrative, you need to live below your means. i made my first 100k and i celebrated by eating top ramen, swallow your pride.

it's a tough grind, and you need to be constantly networking to make sure you are on top of your shit, because if your not, your shit will get fucked. having good relationships with your competitors can only help you, don't be a fucking retard and burn bridges.

also, you might need to drop your ethics. i know people who knew that a certain product that was not safe for consumption but did it anyway (ill give a hint, it has something to do with increasing cognitive function), and people really buy into this shit.

i wrote all this shit quick, so if you have any specific questions or want me to go over something, ill be here for the hours.
>>
>>1552573

> have that skill where you can advertise their product

How do you get into contact with them? Is there a regular way of do you just call them?
>>
>>1552581
check
>>1552573

in the case of shoes, heres an example. let's say companyA is to release a new shoe. the best way to get sales is to build hype (also known as MARKETING). so the first thing is what target market is the shoe going to hit. if it's a running shoe, runners. skateboarding shoe? skaters. let's go with runners for simplicity sake.

so you head on over to your runners instagram account you now will have a campaign for x time (depending on the deal/contract) and you have to promote and push the shoe through posts.

different industries have different methods of pushing. unfortunately there is no one size fits all way to go about this. so this is where creativity will come into play. questions to ask:

>how can i push sales onto the shoes?
>how can i advertise the shoes that isn't deemed as intrusive?
>how can i make this shoe look better than [competitor] shoe?
>etc.
>>
>>1552588
How many times per day do you post from your accounts ? And do you automate that process ?
>>
>>1552590
this is where connections are very important. because essentially you have a platform to push advertisements but you just don't have anything to advertise.

important: remember, your accounts aren't solely about adverts. there has to be constantly be content that is engaging which will keep your followers happy. the idea is to "sneak" adverts in, not blatantly look like a page full of adverts.

to get in contact, you need to first make sure your account looks good. and then you can email whoever is in charge of marketing along the lines of:

"hey, my name is _____ and i own _______, i noticed that you are about to release product X and i am wondering if we can work something out.

thank you for time"

very crude, but that's the general idea. also this is where being a good salesman would come into play. a few skype calls and bank deposit later, there you go, your first campaign.
>>
>>1552544
Thanks a lot man,answered a lot of questions for me, but a few other things i was wondering were.
1.About have many followers does it take to get Twitter to put ads on your account so you can get adsense revenue
2.Say my offensive meme account takes off, you said you would advertise to your niche any ideas on what kind of ads i could promote or would it just be anyone who doesnt care where there ads are?
>>
>>1552602
heavily dependent on niche, but generally 1-3 times a day is good.

yes, automation is very important as it can turn your 20-hour work week to 3-hours. i highly recommend followliker.

to go a bit more advanced, you can code a script to scrape images and pair it with a list of captions to upload to your account. although, that method unfortunately doesn't apply to every niche. an important thing is that you need to be creative and think of solutions to make your life easier. and trust me, you are going to steal a lot of fucking content.

think about those quotes accounts. it's basically taking a high-res picture and putting text in front of it. so if you could create an image scraper that can load a folder filled with images (in relation to niche; high-res) and have a text doc filled with quotes (motivational quotes, book quotes, or maybe even movie quotes, just depends on your niche) and be able to create new images (.png imo works best) where it will take a quote and automatically put it in front of the image. which would then subsequently be uploaded to your [quotes] account 2-3 times a day with random interval timers (to prevent looking like a robot).

like i said, you need to be creative. just think of other ways to approach shit.
>>
>>1552610
how exactly do you go about finding a niche?
>>
>>1552628
Also, how long did it take for your first account to take off?
>>
>>1552622
>1.About have many followers does it take to get Twitter to put ads on your account so you can get adsense revenue

i'm not sure if this is a thing. there are promoted tweets in which someone would pay twitter for, but they wouldn't appear on your account page, only a user's timeline based on their search activity. i don't think you can get revenue based on that model.

>2.Say my offensive meme account takes off, you said you would advertise to your niche any ideas on what kind of ads i could promote or would it just be anyone who doesnt care where there ads are?

regardless if you are offensive, you still have a target niche. you wouldn't push beef jerkey to vegetarians. also, you aren't just limited to ads. you can push your own product. have you heard of meninist? think about how much money they made off just making apparel with the word "meninist" on it. this was possible because they first established themselves controversial before selling. had they just started off as a clothing company they would fail, but because they had hype (from the controversy) they were able to profit.

good book to read "jab jab jab, right hook" gary vee, explains this a little bit idea more.
>>
How much time did it take you to learn all these? Have you made a lot of mistakes? Can you tell us about, let's say, the top three mistakes you made? How much did it cost you to start all these? Would it be good if you cooperated with a friend or two on the matter, and split the gains?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>1552645
I got another question now that i think about it

3.How do you go about sucking dick for shout outs? Id feel like a huge faggot if i just message some popular account saying "hey can i get a shout out please" considering i just started today with almost no followers

Again thanks so much for all the help, im learning a lot
>>
>>1552632
i could go esoteric on you say some shit about what your passion is or something like that, but anything that you have a general interest/knowledge in where you understand the culture of your target niche ( to better promote whatever it is you are promoting ) would be best. i wouldn't make an account for rock climbing if i didn't know jackshit about rock climbing, because how would i know what they want or what they would like? stick to what you know.

>>1552637
its exponential, the first account is the hardest, the rest come easier. my timeline went something like

>first acc
>0-10k 1mo (+10k)
>10k-100k 2.5mo (+90k)
>100k-250k 3mo (+150k)
>a bit over 6 months to get from 0-250k.

but i was then able to bring 3 accounts from 0-250k in maybe about a month and a half. effectively making my reach to 1M in a little less than a year.
>>
>>1552660
Thanks bro. I guess I'm just afraid to start spending time developing an IG page with a niche that may never get any traction, when I have an engineering degree to complete. How did you get over that fear?
>>
>>1552647
its a bit of a learn as you go process, a lot of this shit isn't written out in some sort of guide. you need to be able to look at what other people are doing and improve upon that.

however, there are good books available and if i could recommend one person to study from is gary vaynerchuk. also there are real case studies available to you by just looking around, see what other accounts are doing and figure out ways to replicate it with your niche.

>>1552659
you need value first. the most common thing of value is... money! spend money to make money. yeah, you might need to invest a few $$ first to get you started.

but another way is let's say you have a stoner account and you're looking to get into motorcycles. so you find someone who also has a motorcycle account who also wants to get into the stoner niche. essentially, you can trade shout outs.
>>
>>1552662
one thing to note is that you will fail a lot. so you can't put your eggs in one basket. for every account that worked for me, there were 9 that didnt. burnout is very common in this industry.

i mean honestly, it's either you are good at it or you are not. try to put your pleasure and enjoyment before money. the best way to go about this is to just do this as a hobby. grow accounts and track metrics in your spare free time. if you end up being good at it, you can devote more time.

remember, you can start for free. only if an account looks promising you can put some money into it and more time.
>>
>>1552677
Fair point. I cringe too hard at Gary Vee's stuff though. Any solid content of his I can read? All I've found is motivational bs.
>>
>>1552683
for content, i listed a book of his "jab jab jab right hook", it's very good. but listening to him =/= studying from. don't do what people say, do what they do.

i just looked at his twitter and he has 1.33M followers. regardless if he spouts "motivational bs", he was about to amass such an amount of followers. so if you can replicate what he did to do that, then you will be in good hands.
>>
>>1552544
>
I'm in uni and I lost my phone I need like £150 to get a decent chinkphone, I'd honestly appreciate it so much if you could help me out.
Paypal: [email protected]
>>
>>1552544
Is there any guarantee I will make good money if I use followliker on twitter/gram to build a following? Also, which is better for advertising profit, twitter or instagram?
>>
>>1552645
From where you knew how much money you can take for sponsored tweet and how much is that 1M followers account worth?
>>
>>1552573
>>1552560
>>1552544
thanks for this.
I'm trying to figure out how to use this to promote a band that I work with.

I really like snapchat as a concept, but how is it being monetized? and how are people nailing down content? unless you just upload shit you make outside of the app, the 10 second or still-image format feels hard to master.
>>
>>1553287
There is no guarantee. The money making is all on you and what effort you put into it for making contacts and monetizing. I think instagram is the best platform for advertising profit. It is visual and everyone loves image over text.
>>
>>1555282
They are probably uploading things they made outside of the app. It would be the best way to quality control your content.
>>
>>1552502
Rescue bump
>>
>>1552544
Good stuff. Thanks anon
>>
>>1553095
no

>>1553287
no guarantee. you are going to have to have smarts to be able to succeed. it's about constantly watching and following trends and seeing how you can make what works in other markets/niche work with yours. i'd say the people with the highest probability of success would be an individual who has good adaptability.

>>1554462
highly dependent on niche, but there is no kelley blue book of sponsored tweets.

the 1m with active engagements (10k+ likes/1k+comments) I sold for 95k. although it was a bundle deal along with about 5 accounts ranging from ~250k followers, sold for about 20k-30k ea, I sold my "empire" for 350k.

>>1555282
the engagement is very good. marketing wise it feels very 1-1 and personal. if put a website on the screen, there is surprisingly a good engagement.

usually all the content is done within the app. you just need to be authentic and hip to your target niche.
>>
>>1552671

amazing info dude, many thanks.

quick question: how did you work out how much to charge for adverts on your pages?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.