[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting an Internship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Autismo.png (63KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Autismo.png
63KB, 400x320px
>graduating with a Stats degree this year
>graduating with a CompSci degree next year
>have 0 internship experience
>have 0 self projects to show
>have 0 awareness of how to market myself to businesses
>have 0 friends in any of my classes
>have 0 family or friends connections to any companies
>only job I've held is a math tutoring gig throughout college

WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO I NEED TO NOT BE IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT GAP, I NEED AN INTERNSHIP FUCK
>>
>>1552086
Apply everywhere
>>
>>1552086
Better start doing some projects and posting them on an open source platform to showcase your skills
>>
Youll probably be fine. you still have a year left. But yes start applying to shit. At the very least talk to some of your professors about being a research assistant.
>>
>>1552147
Pretty much this, if you have a solid github portfolio to present to potential employers, you can land an interview fairly easily.
>>
I got my first internship by just applying everywhere and getting lucky. My boss didn't even look at the applications, he just hired the first two people to apply.
>>
Does your school have a career services department? They usually help you apply for those or have a list of companies that recruit from your class.
>>
>>1552086
In the same boat as you when it comes to internships, already second year in CS and I really hope I can secure any placement
>>
I graduated with an engineering degree with no friends, no internship and no experience but got a job 2 weeks after graduation
>>
>>1552664
What grade on your degree? How was the interview?
>>
>>1552664
The beauty of STEM
>>
>falling for the college meme

Ya dun goofed m8
>>
>>1552748
The interview was fine. I barely said anything. It was a 1 on 1 interview with the president of the company. He mostly talked about what he expected of me and what the company was about. Then he hired me a few days later.

I think he had already decided on me before the interview.

3.2 gpa
>>
>>1552859
Must have been a small company if you were meeting the president in an interview?

What was the salary like and what kind of engineering? I'm guessing software?
>>
>>1552086
It's called a portfolio of work my friend.

Find an interesting data a stream in an area you care about, whip up and app with some maths to display interesting correlations, results, outliers etc.

Two blokes here made a shitty site that took the twitter app and added up mentions of bands to predict the winners of a peoples choice music award and have cashed in hard.

One guy is at optiver getting bank as senior analyst and the other is now at some digital marketing campaign place that again, makes huge bank.

Problem is your not making yourself useful.
>>
>>1552086
I was mediocre so I didn't get an intership through school either. So I went on craigslist and got some basic shit with a small local company.

Fluffed it up on resume and ended up scoring a great FT position right outta school.
>>
>>1552859
Thanks for the answers anon
>>
Question /biz/, how easy is it to get into an accounting position in USA?

Have been learning accounting related to hotel businesses for 3 years in German dual training system.
I know how to read and manage balance sheets in German standard but want to learn how it goes in the USA.

Would any tax/accounting company be interested in a sallary free employment for 2 weeks?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.