[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question on Pandora

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: pandora-rdio.png (26KB, 300x269px) Image search: [Google]
pandora-rdio.png
26KB, 300x269px
Hey there /biz/ I'm trying to make a judgment on Pandora radio. There is more or less ONE THING im trying to figure out that would help steer my decision and i was wondering you someone could help me out.

They claim their userbase is around 79 million users, but knowing how companies need to look good, they are likely counting anyone subscribed, or who have downloaded their app even if they don't listen.

Does anyone know of a way to find out how many 'active' users they actually have? Or is the 79 million-ish number accurate?

Thanks /biz/
>>
>>1548576

short of doing a representative survey or hacking their service you may never find out.
>>
>>1548576
Get in on one of their quarterly earnings calls. Might need to give a BS sounding investment firm, fake name, fake phone number to actually get them to take your question.
>>
I use pandora every day. Haven't paid for premium yet though.
>>
>>1548576
Check EDGAR, the SEC database for filings:
https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html

10-K is the annual filing (audited), 10-Q is a quarterly one (usually unaudited). Here's their Q2 10-Q:
https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/1230276/000123027616000085/p-06302016x10q.htm

Ctrl-F -> "users" to get:

>For the three months ended June 30, 2016, we streamed 5.66 billion hours of radio, and as of June 30, 2016, we had 78.1 million active users during the prior 30-day period. Since we launched our non-subscription, ad-supported radio service in 2005 our listeners have created over 10 billion stations.

>Active Users
>We track the number of active users as an additional indicator of the breadth of audience we are reaching at a given time. ***We define active users as the number of distinct registered users, including subscribers, that have requested audio from our servers within the trailing 30 days to the end of the final calendar month of the period.*** The number of active users may overstate the number of unique individuals who actively use our service within a month as one individual may register for, and use, multiple accounts. Beginning with the active users disclosed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015, we are also including active users who only request non-radio content offerings in the definition of active users. Including users who only request non-radio content in the calculation of active users would not have materially changed the reported active users as of June 30, 2015.
>The table below sets forth our total active users as of June 30, 2015 and 2016.

>As of June 30,
>(in millions)
>Active users
>2015: 79.4
>2016: 78.1

Does that clear things up, OP?
>>
>>1548576
First off, based on some quick looking around, I'm unsure where you're getting 79 million users.

Additionally, "users" is a relatively tough thing to measure INTERNALLY, let alone externally. Are users every single user account we have? Are they unique computers going to the site? Are they ones who paid premium service? Are they ones that are active (i.e. they log in often)? How often are they logged in? How long are the logged in?

I'd avoid Pandora for now. They simply don't have the income yet to be a sound enough investment. To get there will require big changes, and thus large risks.
>>
File: Capture.png (29KB, 1407x290px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
29KB, 1407x290px
>>1548829

Nice. but I think what he actually wants to know is in here:
>>
>>1548853

that comes out to 11 million paying users

and an equivalent of 46 million equivalent free users

so I'd say they have an 57 million monthly "adjusted actual users"

meaning that one "adjusted actual user" can mean two physical users who use the service half as much as the average user, or half a physical user who uses the service twice as much as an average user.

the big assumption here is that pandora maximized their "user acquisition to user exploitation" ratio, meaning that they generate an equal amount of gross profit from every user.

someone check my work?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.