[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Résumé Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: pic.png (493KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
493KB, 1275x1650px
There's a career fair tomorrow. Anyone want to help out and look over this résumé for me? This was done over the course of a few visits to the career development center, and this is the final product. Seems pretty good I guess, but a second opinion won't hurt.

Yeah if have a résumé you can post it here too, if you don't know the drill.
>>
Mechanical engineer here too. Here are some things to fix:
>don't use bullet points if you don't have ore than one bullet to list. So try to make another bullet point under rasc-Al.
>Use power verbs to start your bullets. Google power verbs to see what I mean.
>Your skill section is lacking. No need to write so much on skills you know. Just list them.

I'll upload my resume too.
>>
>>1546598

>This was done over the course of a few visits to the career development center

Listen, I don't do this for a living, but it seems like no matter where you go for advice on this sort of thing they always give you the same old tired resume format.

It is the basic bitch of resumes. Yes, it's got all the information, organized, etc. But if you mixed yours up with a bunch of other engineering students and dropped them all on the floor you couldn't pick yours out without bending over to read the names. That's not a good thing; it doesn't stand out to employers and it makes it easy for them to write you off.

If I were you I'd look around online and try out a format that looks aesthetically pleasing. You're not a graphic designer so you don't want to pick one that's over the top. But mixing it up a little isn't going to hurt you even in the eyes of stodgy engineering firms.

The least you could do is pick a different font. Jesus, fuck Times, man.
>>
File: image.jpg (642KB, 2010x2600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
642KB, 2010x2600px
>>1546670
Times is ideal. Really any basic serif fonts are good for printed material.

>>1546663 here's my resume. Used latex.
>>
File: 18z8vr7foa7xsjpg.jpg (189KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
18z8vr7foa7xsjpg.jpg
189KB, 800x1035px
>>
>>1546677

>Times is ideal.

Times is black leggings and a pumpkin spice latte. It looks fine in a vacuum until you realize everyone has it.
>>
>>1546677
I think I know you IRL.
>>
>>1546693
What are my initials??
>>
>>1546683
Is that real?
And if yes, did he get the job?
>>
File: resume.png (1MB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
1MB, 1700x2200px
>>1546683
>censored version
Perhaps you should fuck off back to plebbit.
>>
>>1546670
That puts me at a bit of a bind. Especially this late.
I suck at picking out nice looking things.
>>
>>1546670
I literally write resumes for a living. OP's is bad for sure, full of rookie mistakes, but for God's sake don't use some kind of special template to build a resume. A resume should be basic looking, it's the content that should be eye catching. When applying to jobs at big companies, most of them use ATS, so if you have a non-traditional resume, the computer will throw it out before it even meets the eyes of a human
>>
>>1546598
Some formatting and consistency feedback (important depending on what field you are looking at):
** I have zero eng background so may be off (CERTS etc)

- Find a clean template online
- think about shortening months to 3 letters (Dec, Aug, etc), I always think it looks cleaner

EDUCATION
- Date 'Anticipated May 2018' doesn't line up with the rest
- Should be consistent from heading to heading; Example, make them all similar to your ENG PROJECTS with a bolded sub-heading and bullets under it. Bolded would be school, bullet degree
- Would also maybe add some of your more technical skills as a bullet (Leave off excel/powerpoint/word; It is assumed in interviews that you will be competent enough to handle these)

CERTS
- Not really sure what these are but they seem fairly unimportant. Would move below ENG PROJECTS or remove all together

ENG PROJECTS
- Bullet under engineering club missing a period when all other bullets have periods
- Maybe expand on the project a bit with specific examples of how you added value to the project/team. Ex: developed a laser to mount on the rocket module to blow up the death star (lack of eng knowledge lool)
- either make 4 into four or three into 3. Be consistent
- Capitalize P in present
- Was the Habitat Design part of a competition ? Maybe a bit more context

EXPERIENCE
- Take out (during Alfred Uni breaks)
- Try and add a point to Paraprofessional that may be relevant to any job you are applying for. ex: supervising a broad range of students with differing needs and schedules forced me to adapt and make decisions on the go (needs to be polished, rough example)
- Take out comma after Employment Program. Maybe put it between job title and employer. Paraprof also needs employer
- Remove Summer from date
- Fluff up points. Ex: used excel to create a database to manage and maintain employers client list, sponsors, and accounting.
- Maybe drop Word point
- Make 3rd point sound more interesting or drop it
>>
File: DonDraper.png (342KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
DonDraper.png
342KB, 1275x1650px
>>1546735

Not saying do it now, just something to keep in mind for later. You will not find your last job tomorrow.

>>1546740

>but for God's sake don't use some kind of special template to build a resume.

To be clear, we're not talking about something complicated. Most of the really "unique" templates you see online are for graphic design or some other artsy position where contrived designs are as much a statement of qualifications as the actual content. But there's still room to apply page design principles to a resume while still keeping things simple.

Pic related is the format I used the last time I moved. Don't worry about the content, just the organization. There's a header font and a body font, both are open-source, both have multiple weights, both are designed to pair with each other. The page uses the rule of thirds, every text box is in proportion to the others. The sidebar allows for shorter lines, which cuts out wasted space without giving the page a wall-of-text feel.

Not saying this is perfect, and it looks better when you don't swap out actual content for TV character information, but it's just an example of how a little thought into design differentiates. Most people are poring over grammar, action words, etc., which are important, but they are also commonly known. You need something else to stand out and showing an eye for page composition can be that something.

>When applying to jobs at big companies, most of them use ATS, so if you have a non-traditional resume, the computer will throw it out before it even meets the eyes of a human

If you're uploading into a database you should really have a text file version for that purpose. And I realize how this sounds, but if you're applying to a company where HR feels the need to use computer software to screen applicants you may want to reassess your desire to work there.
>>
File: 4chan - resume1.png (252KB, 1016x1223px) Image search: [Google]
4chan - resume1.png
252KB, 1016x1223px
Fresh from "Just fuck my shit up" central
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.