[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I do with my Stats degree???

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

>graduating this year with a Stats BS
>have done 0 research
>applied to a few internships last summer but nothing panned out
>have 0 real connections with professors
>only have a job tutoring Math through the University

How do I get a job with my degree? I feel so absolutely fucked right now, but I'm sure some of you have been in this same situation. I like Stats and Math, just don't even know how to apply it to a real 9 to 5 job or what job it can get me.
>>
>>1544211
Get a low paying 'data analyst' job for 6 months then leave for something that isn't shit.
>>
>>1544223
what do those jobs entail?
>>
>>1544211
You're as you said it fucked.

Statistics isn't applied at all in the real world and most of those jobs that use it explicitly have applicants with PhDs and Masters degrees.

Learn Computer Science or Finance in your free time by reading textbooks and practicing problems/coding.

Best of luck. You should be able to find a job if you can make your resume more than just... I got a BS in Stats lmao.

I'm in a similar position with an Economics degree, and I'm taking the CFA Level I exam, daytrading, and learning C++/C#. I know Java already (took some classes).

Hopefully I can get an internship before I graduate considering my GPA is shit b/c of Freshman year (2.1 GPA that year).

I'm at 3.25 now, and hopefully can graduate with a 3.4.
>>
>>1544227
30 minutes of work, rest of the time spent browsing news

t. data analyst at two different companies for past 3 years
>>
>>1544234
yea but what EXACTLY do you do in those jobs?
>>
>>1544232
also, don't let a fucking econ major tell you that you're fucked
>>
>>1544237
at my first data analyst position it was basically just reporting, i.e., querying data and putting it in a nice looking spreadsheet for management, total grunt work bullshit, no analytics

at my current position I actually get to spend the majority of my time forecasting for sales, it is decently fun and is probably the most stats applied entry level role you can have
>>
>>1544227
The data analysts I work with (i'm a software developer at a major hospital system) pull data for physicians, analyze patient data to find areas where we can be more profitable and where we can improve their care (faster appointments, doctors they actually want to see, boring stuff like that). The job isn't stressful, management barely knows our team exists/hardly care.
>>
>>1544211
What the hell is a stats degree?
Is it a discount math degree?
Why would anyone hire a statistics student over a math student?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.