[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CFA vs CPA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0478.jpg (164KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
164KB, 750x750px
I'm in Canada and I am trying to decide between the two. What do you guys think is better solely for earning much more money?

I think the CFA is better because that knowledge can be used to further your own investments, whereas Accounting is only useable for clients who have more money.

Thoughts?

Also can I become a CFA in Canada? Is it a world wide thing?
>>
>>1541613
CFA and CPA are both about the same amount of work I've read. CFA charterholders are for people with real jobs in finance. CPAs are for Pajeets and Asians who need money right after undergrad to avoid getting deported or having to work in their parents' dry cleaners.
>>
>>1541638
Btw you might want some work experience and/or an MBA before going for CFA, and yes it's international.
>>
>>1541638
This is wrong.

The CPA takes 300-400 study hours.

Each section of the CFA (there are 3) takes 300-400 hours. The average time studied for the CFA is roughly 1,000 hours.

People typically get their CPA within the first few years of graduating as it opens up the field of public accounting (the shittiest field but it makes the most money).

Adversely, the average age that people attain their CFA is 29. This suggests that most graduates either get experience or go to grad school (or both) before obtaining their CFA.

You also need to consider, these certifications are for completely different career paths. Sure, they will compliment each other, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend time getting a CFA if you want to do tax. CFA is more prestigious and will probably make you more money. CPA is a safe bet and there isn't really the possibility that you'll waste time (unless you don't study and fail repeatedly like a retard).
>>
>>1541650

Alright so for me it's like this, I start college right now for a business degree (BComm) and it will be in Finance. In 4 years time I'll finish with 2 years of work experience (business analyst or something in a bank) and then I'll work another 2 years to complete my 4 year professional job requirement. Then I can do my MBA full time for 2 years, and then apply to write my CFA exam for the next year. I'll be 26/27 when applying to write the exam and complete it probably 28/29.

I have no problem with mooney, I have access to whatever I need via parents so I won't have to work like the Pajeets mentioned above

Is this a solid course for the CFA?

Also, I can do my MBA after my undergrad right? Or do I need to do my undergrad then grad school then MBA? I have no idea how that ladder works :/
>>
>>1541650
>The CPA takes 300-400 study hours.
This is total bullshit. It takes me 3hrs a day for 2 months per section and there are four sections. So closer to 800 hours. Double what you say.
>>
>>1541638
>CFA and CPA are the same amount of work
I just finished L2 and this is triggering me
>>
Do you want to do public/industry accounting and maybe become a partner or controller? Do your CPA.

Do you want to work for a hedge fund, provide services as a financial planner, work as a CFO or go into investing? Then go do your CFA.

Keep in mind the CFA is longer and you need more work experience to get it and the dropout rate is higher. Doing the CFA is the equivalent if not better than getting a masters in Finance as you need the industry experience for it. CPA's have more stable careers and are more in demand currently but you won't have trouble finding a good job for both. Both currently let you work just about anywhere in the world but the CFA carries a bit more weight.

Pretty much just decide what you want to do, do you want to slog through public accounting or do you want to slog through investment banking
>>
>>1541674
Kek. I know people who finished the whole thing in less than 200h
>>
>>1541679
>CFA
>Relevant for investment banking
Do not listen to this guy as he doesn't know what he is talking about
>>
>>1541680
If you're fresh out of school I could see that, at my school our intermediate accounting classes are literally the same as the CPA modules so if you plan accordingly you won't have any issues. I can see why people find it difficult and take way longer to finish though, it's not like accounting is easy in anyway, it takes lots of practice.
>>
>>1541683
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-careers/08/cfa-job-oppurtunity.asp

>4% Investment Banking Analyst

You're employable in pretty much any financial field if you finish your CFA and that includes investment banking. Most people do become portfolio managers though
>>
>>1541689
I work on the buy side and I can guarantee you that those 4% ended up in banking for other reasons. The CFA is not a stepping stone into banking, period.
>>
>>1541698
Yet those are still the top CFA jobs. Those are the industries you're employable in. If those are the kinds of jobs you enjoy then try and get your CFA. If not then go and get your CPA.
>>
>>1541679
I was considering getting a MF, should i just go for a CFA? Yes i want to be a CFO
>>
>>1541650
>300-400 hours

Goddamn it, this is going to be a nightmare, isn't it

t. B-average accounting undergrad junior
>>
>>1541718
Just decide what you like more, CFA or CPA. You now have access to shitloads of jobs in a healthy job market with high wages.

Also a sidenote if you're in public accounting you can still go the CFO route as a CPA it's just not as popular
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.