[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High Schooler Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: biz.jpg (2MB, 2845x1682px) Image search: [Google]
biz.jpg
2MB, 2845x1682px
Hey /biz/

I'm a senior in high school (inb4 underage, I'm 18 fags) and I'm wondering about what major I should do. Depending on who I talk to, I've been recommended for accounting, finance, economics, computer science, or mathematics.

Right now, I get As in history, B+/A- in maths, A in Econ, B/B+ in English, and Bs in Sciences (Chem, Phys, and Bio). My extracurriculars are violin (since third grade) and German (taken it outside of school since i was in Kindergarten).

What should i major in? Thanks /biz/
>>
You can really never go wrong with an accounting degree, so if you have any interest in that sort of thing you should go for it.
>>
>>1539734
That's good to hear. I've got specific interests in stuff pertaining to finance and economics. Would econ+accounting double major be smart?

I spoke to a graduate student in economics who recommended that I major in math or CS for my undergrad since he claimed that an economics undergrad isn't that meaningful when you look at the kinds of math you do, since most of the math you need for an Econ job can be learned on the spot. On the other hand, my parents have said that economics majors get a lot of jobs in their work fields (pharmaceutical industry) given the math skills that they possess.
>>
Make sure u learn how to code. I would recommend statistics/data science/cs which are good subjects. Also take a few classes that you're interested in. Once you get in college u can change ur major.
>>
>>1539838
Any good online resources for this? Which language should I begin with?
>>
File: 1457730297153.jpg (3MB, 1082x9999px) Image search: [Google]
1457730297153.jpg
3MB, 1082x9999px
>>1539668
>What should i major in?
Business - Infomation Technology - Computer Science
>>
>>1539668
Does your school have a UIL or BPA team? I didn't even know what I wanted to do with my life until I gave accounting a try and rocked it. Plus it looks good on your resume for college and you could get scholarships for it (if your good).
>>
>>1539783

Im an economics major in my last year of undergrad. And although I found my studies very interesting and Ive gained a lot of confidence in my ability to be productive and marketable in a lot of industries, I think Accounting would probably open up more doors in terms of first jobs out of school.

Its just boring af.
>>
>>1539668
Whatever you fucking do, do not do computer science. Literally being memed worse than law was a couple decades ago, since even Pajeets can get into it.

Don't trust me? Listen to one of the best computer scientists to ever live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ju0eM5T2c

He says don't do things just because other people are. And right now fucking millions of autists are flocking to CS. You have to be better than 95% of them in order to make it big.

Accounting, in my opinion, will be automated. I don't know as much about this though, so I could be wrong. It sounds like there is potential that the job will just get 90% automated and the same number of jobs will exist and they'll just be easy af, but that doesn't sound too good.

Math is just shit.

Finance is good, but you have to be smart or you'll be just another wage cuck.

In my opinion the best route is majoring in economics and going into something like quality assurance or pharm like your parents suggested.

Honestly no major itself guarantees a good business career. That will more be determined by your own entrepreneurial spirit and social competency. You're posting on 4chan, so odds are you're slightly autistic. Work on being a smooth talker and a charismatic person. That will matter more than what you major in (provided of course that its not history or something).
>>
>>1541436
Never heard of either of those, so I'm guessing not. My school's stock market team, which I co-founded, is part of FBLA though.
>>
>>1541464
My dad is a consultant for pharmaceutical quality, but he's a PhD chemist. Would majoring in econ set me up well for this field, without any science?

Unrelated, but would a degree in econ set me up well for a career in Forex?
>>
>>1539668
Don't know what country you're in, but I'd study finance + something STEM (Math/engineering)
>>
>>1541896
Econ may show you how to do fundamentals for forex, but you would be better off at babypips.com school, then trading live
>>
>>1541443
This. Accounting is relatively easy, in high demand, and the sky is the limit in terms of earning, but imo it is boring work that is, frankly, for boring people. That is why I didn't finish my accounting degree, I just could not see myself getting up every morning for the rest of my working life and doing that shit.
>>
Read the book ''worthless'' by Aaron Clarey. I bought a copy myself and it is one of the best investments I have ever made. I migth have saved me tens of thousands.
Do not blindly trust people on 4chan for advice, some advice is good but don't take any chances. Don't blindly believe the media as well saying stuff like ''X will have a 10% growth bla bla" Do your own research and make sure you know what you want. Take a year off if you have to and are not sure yet what you want yet.
This decision could count for a large part of your life if it is not versatile in terms of the skills you will obtain from the study.

Buy the book ''worthless''
>>
>>1539853
Look into R and python
>>
>>1542286
Aaron Clarey is a moron that just tries to act like a 1950s Bill Burr.
>>
File: please clap .jpg (24KB, 526x372px) Image search: [Google]
please clap .jpg
24KB, 526x372px
>>1542105
What did you take instead anon?

I want a good job, but I'd also want it to be something interesting. Would accounting and either finance or econ make a good double major, or perhaps, more broadly, accounting and math/CS?
>>
>>1542286
>do not follow advice of randoms on 4chan
>follow my advice
>>
File: 1474052427664.png (67KB, 1456x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1474052427664.png
67KB, 1456x1108px
>>1539668
OP, kinda don't listen to this guy
>>1541464
Computer Science can be done by Pajeets, but no one likes working with pajeets. A friend of mine runs a small tech business and will not hire Pajeets due to how unreliable and shitty they are. The way that you get ahead in computer science is by being reliable, not autistic, and competent.
You do not have to be better than everyone you just have to do your job and take home 75K until you build your way up to managing lower level guys.
One takeaway is that if you want to go into accounting, learn computer science so that you're the asshole destroying millions of jobs.

I have a few questions, what is your GPA? SAT? ACT? Do you take AP's? If you're just the national average then yes maybe computer science isn't for you.

I recommend becoming an electrician, you can make upwards of six figures if you have worked for the government with a security clearance and move into the private sector.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.