[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0299.jpg (90KB, 958x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0299.jpg
90KB, 958x200px
Is it too late to go to college? I'm 21 and lost, but I want to study Computer Science, and then go to Med School. I have money, it's just motivation that has been stopping me, or lack of it I should say. I've just recently gotten it back, sort of, and I'm ready, but I'm just wondering if it's too late?
>>
There's no age limit. I started working after 18 school and saved all but $100 a week for expenses. When I was 23 I went to community college and then transferred to Uni keeping a part time job. Graduated in 2015 with only $3K in loans to pay off. People who go to Uni on loans at 18 are fucking retarded. They'll be my age with a fuck ton of debt and will blame everyone but themselves.
>>
>>1510656

I see, thank you for your post. I found it intriguing. So did you notice any sort of stigma around being a few years older than everyone? I take it there were a few more people your age as well?

How are you doing now?
>>
>>1510646
There are middle-aged students in some of my CS classes.
>>
>>1510702

Do they get along with everyone? Does everyone get along with them? The social thing is one of my biggest concerns in this endeavour. I want to be able to make some sort of friendships.
>>
Why CS? There are specific prerequisites for Med School that you should make sure you can cover at the same time, otherwise you should probably pick a more typical premed major.
>>
>>1510720

I've done some research over the past year and I've seen a lot of schools don't actually require set subjects to be taken, or if they do, it's only 6-7 first year/second year courses which I can take during the summers if need be or later on, so I'm going to study what I enjoy instead of focusing exclusively on biology, chemistry, and physics.
>>
>>1510646
I've seen a lot of anecdotes around the the web and websites like talk.collegeconfidential.com where people in the mid to late 20s go to university and they dont have any problems.

Universities usually call people who dont immediately go from high school into college "non traditional" students.

In fact there are even some very elite universities, such as Columbia, that have programs that are specifically for non traditional students.
I'll even mention this because you said you want to go to med school and I usually hear med school people say that going to the top universities is generally better.
>>
>>1510704
are people afraid of young pussy these days?
>>
>>1510646
it would be like dropping off in 3rd year and starting a new career, many people do it (as myself)
>>
>>1510851

Yeah, going to a top school is usually better from what I've seen with my friends who went at 18/19, the better the school the better the jobs they got for the most part.

I'm in Canada so my top schools are UBC, UofT, McGill, McMaster, Queens and maybe Dalhousie. I'm looking into UofT, or McMaster the most right now, but Queens or McGill is my next row. McMaster would be best because I live right across the street, but I don't mind the drives to UofT.

>>1511148

Haha, no, I'm not afraid, i just don't want to seem like the old guy from another lifetime lol.

>>1511175

I see, never thought about it like switching jobs, thanks anon.

-

Thanks everyone, my concerns have been extremely lessened.
>>
>>1510725
Taking CS courses but planning to go for med school is very risky. Med schools are more likely to consider you since you are not a premed student, but that is only if you get exceptional MCAT scores and have an impressive GPA (3.5 absolute bare minimum of you want to get in to a half decent school). Getting good MCAT scores without being premed is EXTREMELY difficult unless you have god tier discipline, work ethic, and are excellent at learning, understanding, and applying highly complicated information.

Just check your motivations - if you don't have a passion for medicine, I strongly recommend that you not bother with med school. It will eat you up and spit you out, IF you even get in. If on the other hand you're really motivated and it's your dream to become a doctor, I would recommend taking a degree plan that is more closely related to medicine and minoring in CS, that way the MCAT may not completely fuck you in the ass.
>>
>>1510646
I went back at 27 to do IT.
There people there in their late thirties and 40's

Never too old to learn.
>>
>>1510646
Bro, don't worry about it. If you don't say anything, no one will even know. I was 24 by the time I was finished my degree, and i still got asked if I was first year. People are shit at telling age.
>>
Not only is it not too late, it's actually easier to get loans and the Pell grant to pay for it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.