[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ I grew up with two very loving parents, but money was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (196KB, 350x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
196KB, 350x375px
Hey /biz/ I grew up with two very loving parents, but money was something that we didn't really have a lot of. I want to raise my kids with them not having to worry about if they will get a present this year or if I can afford to pay for a after school program that they wish to attend, but I'm not exactly sure how I would go about doing this I've looked at stock trading and real estate but I'm still not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1509201
>>>/adv/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrNYyJEnFI
>>
If you feel like you've grown up respectably, perhaps you should attribute a portion of your raising to the lack of luxury. Don't barter your children's affection with money as a substitute for happiness. Sure you don't want to be living in a box, but paying for everything in their post-graduate years out of pocket isn't always a good decision. Sweating a bit in the financial sector teaches the values of risk and discipline. If you want your kids to grow up to be respectable human beings, let em sweat a bit. You also don't have to be a salesman to have a comfortable life, or give your kids tons of shit. Just do what you do best for a profit.
What skills do you already have?
Do you see any of them as marketable?
How much time/money do you have invested in education?
How much debt are you sitting under?
>>
>>1509208
I'm decent with numbers
I don't owe anything I just turned 19 haven't went to college
>>
>>1509214
I like numbers too. Accounting, unless that's too boring for you. Statistics, engineering, computer science (the math based crypto one), maybe even finance or economics (these are higher risk though).

Liking numbers that aren't just the ones in your bank account will be a stepping stone to building an education without hating the career prospects that come after. You should get in college now. Don't delay it. You can go to community college with Financial Aid practically free (or even get paid) depending on your living situation. You should have started this fall, don't wait until next fall, just jump in during the spring semester and take the largest class load your time can afford. Pick a degree you think would be the most interesting from the above mentioned or otherwise depending. Talk to the university you would like to transfer to from the closest community college, find the exact program you want to get into and ask the Uni if you can transfer from the community college you're going to attend. Talk to the college advisement informing them of exactly what you want to do after their college, and that you need the planned out course list that would get you to that university as a Junior your first year attending Uni. Transfer once you complete community college studies. Get as involved as you can in work-study/different job if you need more of an income. Find the most related club to your career prospects (ie: business or stem). Join the club and see if you can't hold one of the easy as shit leadership positions to boost your resume and uni prospects.
>>
>>1509230
cont.

It might sound like a lot of effort depending on what you've been up to lately, but I manage to do all of the above mentioned whilst riding the stay at home and don't pay rent train. I net 7k after tuition and books yearly, as I'm still waiting for my last year of community college to pass. If I keep fiscal discipline, I may take no loans for uni, while having no scholarship.
Another point of note, as soon as you can begin throwing out applications for internships in your respective career field do it. It's the single most important thing to do while you're in college, excluding earning your degree.I go to school and work Mon-Fri. I tutor for extra money on the weekends. It's an easy life. Yet, I find myself surrounded by people who believe going to school 2 days a week, and working 3 is difficult. Community College is a breeze, especially if you like numbers. Don't be afraid to go to your local free tutors on campus for the subjects you may hate.

Think about investing/risk after you've finished at least 3 years of college. You don't need to take any sort of financial risky prospects prior to it. At most invest in 401k/roth (don't even know what these are). The most important thing to focus on now, is getting your ticket to the show (a degree/internship/work experience with people that will vouch for you).
>>
>>1509237
Thank you very much for the response, I'll make sure to start searching for colleges
>>
>>1509230
>>1509237
Not op but i felt like i was rushed into going to community college which i didnt feel was right at the time. As a result i failed out of most of my classes and im thinknig about reapplying and this time taking it serious. This is real helpful and good motivation thanks.
>>
20 yo college dropout. I'm worth about 100k, made it in about 2 years through real estate / a couple shit side businesses. Just figure out what you're good at.

To make money, you need both a linear income (like a job) and an exponential outlet for that income (like an investment). You make 50k a year working wherever doing whatever, invest that into something with a nice annual return (real estate is around 5-10% a year if you're renting), and eventually, that exponential income will be enough to retire by having enough return per year to live off.

Figure out these two things and you're in the money. Linear income - figure out what you're good at / like to do. I liked video games, so I flipped video games on eBay and what not. Exponential Income - I picked real estate since it seemed like the best opportunity at the time, but other ways can work for you. Buying notes, stocks, whatever.

Just my two cents, I'm still learning myself
>>
>>1509261
>>1509265
You're most welcome. Many people dive into things without a grasp of the foreseeable consequences. Definitely apply for financial aid. If you're not making over ~15k, you'll likely receive full benefits including ~3-4k/semester and ~5k worth of work study potential income. Work study jobs are easy easy. I work in a computer lab teaching people how to use computers for the first time. When no one's there, I do my homework without complaint from my boss. I finish all of my schoolwork while on campus and live very comfortably considering the amount of effort I put in. I've thought about getting a weekend retail position for an extra 8-16 hours of work a week. I'd still be under the "Financial Aid cap," but I'd sacrifice my weekends. For the time being I like having 2 days to browse the web and recover from the light hassle during the week. If you want more information about Financial Aid, I can help you out with that. But, the biggest keys are:

1) Apply as soon as you can every year. In Arizona, the 2016-2017 Financial aid applications opened on June 30th. You may actually still be able to apply until September 23rd. Check your respective state on FAFSA.ed.gov .
2) FAFSA is granted per expressed need. The typical advice is to earn under 15k of taxable income. This grants you 100% benefits. Making more isn't a bad thing, but you will get reduced or perhaps no benefits from FA. Don't overwork yourself to pay for school. You may not like school or even finish if this is the case.

Good luck gentlemen. College is what you make of it. I enjoy myself thoroughly and don't go into debt in the process. Everyone has a unique situation, and your experience may differ. Just act mature, get your degree, and maybe some extra along the way.
>>
>>1509279
>To make money, you need both a linear income (like a job) and an exponential outlet for that income (like an investment). You make 50k a year working wherever doing whatever, invest that into something with a nice annual return (real estate is around 5-10% a year if you're renting), and eventually, that exponential income will be enough to retire by having enough return per year to live off.
~50k/year doing almost anything? Must be nice having ~24/hour minimum wage (assuming 40 hours/week, 52 weeks/year.
I want to say I understand the assumption, but I think it's a bit overzealous to imply that large of a yearly salary, without working multiple jobs and/or a ton of overtime. You're going to need some sort of marketable/proven skill to earn a decent pay grade. That's why I advise college. College isn't the end all suggestion. But for someone starting out without a foundation, it's extremely beneficial. If you spend your time wisely in your education pursuits, you'll surpass your peers and make out with groundwork for career prospects.

I think investing is very important and give you respect for doing so successfully thus far. However, not everyone plays the real estate game successfully. This is largely dependent on salesmanship and bartering skills. Many people don't have the personality required for such things, nor do they desire to build it.

Investing also isn't only applicable to real estate. It can even be argued that real estate exists to be a very volatile market. You can't pull out fast without a huge loss. When people stop earning money (such as yourself) you can be left in a very disadvantageous position. There's alot of work involved in becoming a successful real estate investor.

I'm not trying to target you. This is more of a response to the multitude of advice given through /biz that claims real estate to be the single-most surefire method to financial success.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.