[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you apply for a job when you suffered from depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1468246845818.jpg (11KB, 309x343px) Image search: [Google]
1468246845818.jpg
11KB, 309x343px
How do you apply for a job when you suffered from depression and your CV is ruined?

Sorry for the blog. I try to keep it short. I skipped a grade, I always got good grades with barely any effort, I got into a very high ranked university, I kept making above average grades there with little effort. I suffered from chronic depression my entire life and have been in therapy more than once but in my 4th semester it went out of control. Zero energy, zero motivation for anything. For 2 years I pretty much did nothing even though I was still enrolled. And this summer I finally got back and my goal was to at least try. I did 5 exams, in average I spent 10-15 hours per subect total effort even though the subjects are among the most difficult. I passed 2 of them with surprisingly decent grades but because those 2 are "bound" to other exams which I failed, in the end I have by a very tiny margin failed "all of them" and have to redo them all. This is the first time I did not get a good grade and the first time I failed exams. But it was a great experience and now I feel more motivated than ever before. I also have determined with my current therapist that working beside studying would give me the satisfaction I lack and thus help me recover. And I really really want to work. But everywhere I have to show my CV, which is an embarrassment right now. Even the ones who sent me an invitation letter via uni, which were the first and only so far I contacted, now suddenly want a CV and transcript of records with my current uni performance.

I am a good competent human, charismatic, responsible, intelligent and confident that I would make a great impression if I could meet in person. But my life is in shambles now. My only "job" experience is teaching assistant in uni. I am surrounded by hurdles. Nevertheless I am determined to get a job. How do I formulate a passable CV?

Not sure if this belongs on /biz/ or /adv/ so I will try here first.
>>
A passable CV for what?

We need some more details about what industry you want to go into, where, and what you study.
>>
File: laughing-men.jpg (152KB, 428x280px) Image search: [Google]
laughing-men.jpg
152KB, 428x280px
>>1500098
>when you suffered from depression and your CV is ruined?
>>
What's your major and I would recommend listing projects that you've done which show the employer your skill set.
>>
>>1500098
stop being a pussy and start your own business - thank me later
>>
>>1501395
lmao.

>>1500098
point is to stop lamenting about your past and get foot in door. you need to rebuild this shit.

volunteer at something like a men's shed. get out there. that's always step 1. think about the shit that makes you "unemployable" now.

a. routine? could you incorporate a regular schedule right now?

b. think about you as a person, are you reasonably healthy? are you intelligent when you put your mind to it?

volunteering will work on these if you need improvement or otherwise they'll remind you that you're actually not too bad and you're atleast a bit valuable.

2. get talking, get interested, talk to previous business owners and workers and observe what they say. old mates love talking about "shit on the job" from working.

again, the men's shed would have these types of blokes ( and they're also hilarious or interesting stories so even if you're too dumb to get employee sense, you'll get something out of them )

work upwards, not downwards. your resume might have nothing on it but presentation is better than the guy who brought in his written on cardboard ( I've heard a lot )

if you're going for a first visit or a first interview of someone who might give you a chance, dress well ( ofcourse not if it's labour if that's your route, dress casual but in clothes you could get dirty )

First impression is everything. and even if you don't fully meet the bill the first time, they might see you as a kid trying to make it so they'll think about trying you again some time.

if nothing happens for a while and one of them happens to try you again, have something to tell them: yes I mean do things. check out free events, build shit in the men's shed, write a small community news article; even helping a mate move house makes you look like you've invested your time well.

>this part is the hard part and I never got around to doing because I got picked up early in my volunteer days.

tldr upcoming
>>
>>1501509
>tldr

>was unemployed for 3 years after leaving my IT job willingly (too good for them). Felt useless after 3 years
>joined a mens shed. wanted to just fix up bikes and keep my hands moving a bit. read in a book that volunteering will make me look good for the girls so joined up.
>fixing bikes "all day" ( all morning but transit etc) talking to all older dudes about various things, they all like hearing what I'm doing
>talking to one mate who perped up when he heard i did computers because his brother is a store owner and has problems with a website
>dunno what im getting myself into but still I went in to it overdressed and came up with a legit answer to his problems ( I dunno websites lol )
>took me on board, payed me povo chashies ( $50 full day visit ) but encouraged my work sense, got to help out around the store etc ( it's hair and beauty i don't want to know this shit lol )

>fixed up my resume "accurate cash handling and EFTPOS transactions on a busy register"

>apply to a place with proper guidance on coverletter writing and got a 35hr part time contract for $19 an hour

>it's shit but I'm duty manager already and I'm looking to now apply my diploma and try to get a bit of an juinor tech / paperwork office position (I have diploma in eng)
>>
>>1501514
tldr JUST HABEEB IN URSELF
>>
>>1501509
>b. think about you as a person, are you reasonably healthy? are you intelligent when you put your mind to it?
forgot to add "can you interact with new people like new workmates?"

you test it at the volunteer / men's shed.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.