[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accounting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1443979370638.jpg (53KB, 768x1024px)
1443979370638.jpg
53KB, 768x1024px
>25 years old
>Last semester in Community College about to get associates in information systems
>Have the opportunity to transfer to Cal Poly Pomona in the fall
>Zero job prospects

Should I choose my major to be accounting? Are there any accountants online who can give a young buck some advice? After 5 years of being spun out, I've finally got my life on track and am facing my first major decision for my education/career.
>>
It can be pretty boring

t.Accountant
>>
>25 years old
>young buck

hm
>>
>>1499313
I majored in accounting, wound up becoming an auditor for DoD. the money is great but its boring, mind numbing work that makes me want to blow my brains out every day. but, I'll be able to retire in 17 years with a pension and I already have over 100k in my TSP (govt version of a 401k), so maybe life will be worth living when I'm 50.

if you care more about now, though, I wouldn't recommend it
>>
CPA here. It's a pretty boring job but the pay is decent and job security is good.

I think it's a good career for somebody that wants to be alone but still able to afford to live comfortably on their own. I live with my fiance who is a RN and our combined income puts us pretty comfortable with 1 kid and 2 dogs.
>>
>>1499344
How did you manage to become an auditor for DoD? Any tips?

Thanks for your angle on the job though, I have to begin to consider whether I want to sacrifice my present for my future.
>>
>>1499350
got "lucky",my university had way I could directly apply (this was before USA Jobs became mandatory) and got an interview before everyone else. I BSed my way through by playing up my computer skills and impressed the hiring committee enough to get the job
>>
>>1499348
I'm pretty much alone by default so I think I'm in the clear.

>>1499356
I had to learn Java programming for information systems and have been expanding my portfolio for that. Do you think that would help at all with accounting as far as showing off my computer skills?
>>
>>1499344
woah man 100k tsp after 3 years?
Or am I wrong and fed retirement is 30.
>>
File: 1469551871331.gif (1MB, 392x400px)
1469551871331.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>1499344
Thank you for your service.

In all seriousness though, I bet you must have a hobby to keep somewhat occupied right? Or at least some ample vacation time.

And just out of pure curiosity, do you have any interest in saving up some money for cushion and trying to either do accounting work somewhere else? Or do something different altogether?
>>
>>1499360
really, the computer skills I played up were Excel and Word. most of the job is those two, I use Excel for reconciling and Word for report writing. I had majored in engineering but had to change because, ironically, I failed Java

>>1499366
8 years. I can get a MRA after 25 years

>>1499367
yeah, I have some hobbies, but they don't do much to keep me from being miserable. I've considered changing jobs but I think I'd be unhappy no matter what I did. I've got an eBay business on the side but it's a niche market I deal in so it couldn't support me. I'm just waiting to hit the MRA because of the pension, it's what keeps me in the job. when I retire I'll probably get into consulting for the other side (military contractors) which pays way more and is far less work
>>
>>1499386
Well good, hobbies are a good thing to have. And the eBay business sounds like a nice thing to have to keep the mind busy enough.

I try keeping busy/recharging by hanging out more with whatever family I have around (parents, cousins, siblings). It's good to have projects to do with them (and have people you can trust), gives me a renewed drive, almost like a refreshed feeling when you see them often enough. Best of luck to you man, Jesus bless
>>
>>1499386
>when I retire I'll probably get into consulting for the other side (military contractors) which pays way more and is far less work
that'd be the cake right there. I've seen thousands of those guys overseas on 5-6 month deployments making six figures in the process, and those guys just installed shit on my truck for 5-8 hours a day
>>
Been thinking about getting into this as a career
Pros/Cons? What kind of people do this job the best? What skills do they need?

Any recommendations for colleges in Canada? Preferably something that had mandatory internship placements
>>
>>1499313
Rcc?
>>
>>1499313
>about to get associates in information systems
>Should I choose my major to be accounting?

No! Why wouldn't you just go for IT?
>>
is it really that boring if you move up?
How hard is it to become a Comptroller or CFO in a small firm?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.