[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paying high rent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1412571097196s.jpg (2KB, 108x125px) Image search: [Google]
1412571097196s.jpg
2KB, 108x125px
I live in NYC and make about 120k a year. I'm a year out of college and am living in Manhattan paying 2k a month on rent. I really enjoy living in the city although do you think its worth it to be paying this much to live in a nice area?

I visited Brooklyn once and the environment there is nothing compared to the city. But I have a feeling I'm being naive and it aint so bad to live outside the city. Just need help being convinced about that, if any of you have some wisdom to shed on this.
>>
File: whitehuilt.jpg (536KB, 750x549px) Image search: [Google]
whitehuilt.jpg
536KB, 750x549px
i think it is important to understand the plight of the common man
>>
>>1497587
Dude, you're paying $2k/mo. to live in Manhattan. That's pennies for that area, and I worry about the quality of your apartment.

With that said, if I were you, I would definitely move outside the city. Manhattan is great to experience for a short stint, but fuck that cramped nonsense. Get some breathing room in NJ.
>>
>>1497616
>Dude, you're paying $2k/mo. to live in Manhattan. That's pennies
This. A 2bd place in Scottsdale AZ is almost $2k for nice buildings and California is about $2.5k

You must literally live in a garbage chute
>>
You would be happier with a mortgage, Stop paying rent and making someone else rich.
>>
>>1497616
I actually got a bit lucky and have a really nice place (1 br in a 2br apartment) that I'm subletting from a woman. It's near herald sq on 34th street.
>>
>>1497619
>>1497616
Lol you guys probably got scammed by your agents. I just looked around for sublets and got this nice place for 2k. I have friends who have found pretty good places for $1500 a month in the east village.
>>
>>1497587
i'm rich blah blah
>>
I actually am in the same situation in San Diego, from what i can remember from newyork is that its close to everything. You need to consider what it is that YOU like, If you like to live close to work and bars, i would suggest stay, but if you like your space and don't want roommates move.

It sounds like you don't even have a car, and enjoy simple lifestyle. So i guess you think you don't really need any of that stuff.

also don't get married.
>>
>>1497632
My dad told me not to get married unless I was 100% sure about it. So yeah, I'm not jumping into that any time soon.
>>
>>1497630
Meh, money is relative. I'm just trying to optimize my savings by the time I'm 50 which is why I'm considering not living in the city.
>>
>>1497587
If your career can move elsewhere easily, practically anything that isn't the bay area, or parts of Seattle, is cheaper to rent in. Food is ungodly expensive in many cities, especially new york.

How much does it cost you to buy a dozen eggs? You can buy a flat of 3 dozen for less than $1.80 in the Milwaukee area, depending on the time of year. Gallon of milk is like $2.20 at kwik trip, etc. Living in the suburbs in smaller cities gives you easy commutes, less noise, less scent of shit, etc.

Something else to consider is retirement. You said you want out young. Maybe you could live a little better right now in another city with a lower income, but if your retirement is mostly dependent on your income right now, you could deal with what you have, then retire someplace cheaper and still live the city life.
>>
>>1497587
>I visited Brooklyn once and the environment there is nothing compared to the city
brooklyn is the city retard
>>
>I visited Brooklyn once
kek

But more seriously, meet people, see how they live, see what appeals to you.
>>
>>1497653
>brooklyn is the city retard
obviously not from new york quit talking out your asshole
>>
>>1497587
If you count my bonuses and OT, I make about 120. I pay 950 in rent in another state with zero income tax, and I wouldn't pay that much for a cardboard box in Manhattan. Plus you have to pay new York taxes to live there.

>4.5% city sales tax on junk over 110 buckaroos (80k take home pay, let's pretend you have a 50% savings rate, so ~$1800)

>4% state sales tax (80k take home pay, let's say you spent half, so $1600)

>3.xx% NYC income tax (let's pretend that's only 4k)

>4-7% NY state income tax ($6,975 a year at 120k)

Between 14 odd thousand dollars in extra taxes and 12 thousand dollars in extra rent, living in New York City costs you 26 thousand dollars in take home spendables. Is $2200 a month of tax free savings enough to persuade you to leave New York City?
>>
>>1497587
>Manhattan paying 2k a month

That's pretty good. You're not going to save much going further out as you'll just have to spend more time and money commuting.
>>
you're not going to do much better than that unless you move into a hole, or significantly extend your commute. some commutes from brooklyn are an hour plus, which is retarded.

everything with a decent commute into manhattan is also inflated, and when you add commuter costs and your time, the cost reduction is null, unless you get a big place with lots of roommates.
>>
File: shouldIstayorgo.png (91KB, 462x377px) Image search: [Google]
shouldIstayorgo.png
91KB, 462x377px
>>1497624
what the fuck? Why wouldn't you stay there? Do you enjoy the city? The burbs are boring as fuck and you'll still be paying $2K for a shit place. Stay where you're at don't be a cuck and don't listen to these fags from fucking Scottsdale, AZ or DesMoines or whatever bumblefuck
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.