[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

job interview question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: h3I4nGa.gif (2MB, 318x178px) Image search: [Google]
h3I4nGa.gif
2MB, 318x178px
Hello /biz/,
I need a little help because I may have to do a few interviews in the near future.

What I'm curious about is if I should say how much i'm paid right now or if I should first get them to make me an offer.

I know that, when buying things that don't have a price set in stone (like cars or houses), it's better to get the seller to make you an offer rather than exposing yourself immediately by saying what your budget is, and I'm wondering if this situation applies with job interviews as well, with me being the seller of a service in this case.

So, what should I do if/when asked how much I paid or how much I want?

A few info that may or may not be useful: I work as a freelance, I already have a job, the job I'll be making interviews for is the same as the one I'm doing, but with the potential of getting a substantially higher pay right from the start.
>>
>>1496508
Same deal with me.

I had a recruiter call me for an opportunity for an payment transaction company. I gave them my expectations of 75-80k and they had the gall to ask what I'm currently making now.

Seriously, does that even matter? You already know what I want.
>>
>>1496534
I'm not in that situation yet, but I want to be prepared for when the question drops.

Both answers seem to have their pros and cons, but I just can't decide which is best for me as a way to get the best pay
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>1496508
>>1496534
>>1496753

"What are your salary requirements / expectations?"

You: "Well I understand that you have a set range that you're looking for in this position, if you would be willing to share that with me we can discuss how our goals align"

(Normally gets them to drop their low bar number)

If not and they go "blah blah, no really give us your requirement" that means the interviewer is really good or really shitty.

Say something like "Well the current market value is around xx,xxx"
>>
>>1498513
>>1496508
No

If you autismo out on this question, you're probably 22 have no idea what you're doing. You'll make 55k and like it boy
>>
>>1498513
>>1498521
Is it a good idea to aim a bit higher than what I want and then play the usual back and forth with them or should I just say a number and never go below that?

Keep in mind I'm probably not going to deal with the usual corporate HR and bureaucracy, it will be a direct interview with the boss or who sits immediately below him with little to no middle-men between me and who forks out the money.

Your two opinions are different though, I'd like to hear >>1498521 about why you think the other Anton's strategy isn't good.
>>
>>1496508
If you can get them to give you an offer without giving up what you already make, great.

Honestly just tell them a little higher than what you would be happy with, and let them counter down to what you really want.

It really depends on the situation though. Say I am an analyst making 50k and I interview for an analyst position at another firm. I'm going to look up what all of their analysts make and ask for a little higher. If I'm interviewing for a job one step up, I'll expect a salary increase but nothing crazy. See, if you ask for more money, you have to have a reason. "B-but he's making more than that!" isn't a reason, in fact it makes you look like a whiny baby. If you can showcase your skills and really make a case for yourself, you can ask for anything within reason.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.