[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best cities for tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I want to move somewhere to work in tech.

Currently in a tech startup in Dublin, looking around for other good cities for tech jobs around the world. Dublin has a decent tech scene, but I'd like go abroad.

Currently have an eye on:
>Berlin
>London
>Austin
>San Francisco
>New York
>Singapore
>Taipei
>Tokyo
>Hong Kong

Anyone know what the tech scene is like in those cities? And what it's like to live there? (e.g. cost of living)

Any other places I should be looking towards?
>>
Also add
>Boston
>>
Austin is awesome, Oracle, Google, facebook,Dell,.... are all here and tech as flees the People's Republic of California for greener pastures.

Great city, live music, <8% niggers and decreasing, young, rich, safe, and the rest of conservative Texas protects you from the commie Liberals that live in Austin.
>>
>>1493081
Seattle is hot again. A lot of the Silicon Valley companies that hadn't had a Seattle presence have opened big Seattle offices recently (Google, Facebook, Apple). Lots of startups too and of course Amazon and Microsoft. Cost of living has been going way up recently, but it is still quite a bit more affordable than most of the places you listed.
>>
I'm living in Dublin at the moment and just got into the start up scene. Any advice?
>>
>>1493081

I know this sounds like a joke now, but Detroit...

It is gonna be the center for robotics and AI within the next decade, get roots in the city now while the getting is good.
>>
>>1493244
Depends what you're looking for. Are you working in one/ looking to work in one/ starting your own?

Tech scene here is really homogenous, everyone knows everyone, so network the fuck out of it. All the big dicks are located in the Docks, but everyone else is spread out around the city.

Dublin is fucking expensive, so if you're in a place that gives you free stuff (food, travel, etc), milk it all you can imo.

Sadly there's not really one pub or street that tech people tend to hang out in here, though I'd say you'd run into a lot of people in 3FE due to how close it is to Grand Canal Dock.

Any specific questions?
>>
>>1493285
I'm still a student but it's been a goal of mine for a while to start my own business. The main problem I'm feeling in Dublin is that there's an abundance of software engineers but finding business-acumen people is proving difficult. One question I had was whether it was worth getting into a startup early on instead of focusing on internships/ actual jobs. Cheers in advance.
>>
I lived in West Tokyo for four months. Parts of the city I was in (Hachioji) had what seemed to be rice paddies, so it wasn't fully urban. I was in a dorm so I don't know what rent costs, but food wasn't very expensive and there are a lot of great, cheap restaurants all over the city, provided you like noodles and pork.
Nobody in Japan speaks English at a conversational level. They will understand "Hello," "Thank you," and "I'm sorry," but don't expect any help if you can't speak Japanese.
Japanese corporations are notorious for being terrible. Unpaid overtime is standard. There is a Japanese word that translates to "suicide due to overworking." Start-ups might be different, though.
>>
>>1493302
>One question I had was whether it was worth getting into a startup early on instead of focusing on internships/ actual jobs.

Okay, there's pros and cons.

In terms of working FOR a startup:
>Pros
You will learn more in a year than you would in five in a normal job.
They can be a whole lot of fun to work in
Usually wear whatever you want
A lot of them will give free stuff

>Cons
Pay is often shite
Long hours (kind of don't mind it if the place is fun and you're invested in the work, then you can work all night, but if it's shit then these can be a killer)
Extremely disorganised, usually. Lots and lots of stress. Like, everything's on fire all the time and you're the only one who can put it out.
Like 90% of startups fail, so good chance any one you work for could go under. Trick is to pick a good one.

In terms of starting one, I've never done it, but you'll have basically the same pros and cons, differences is it's you who's calling the shots.

>finding business-acumen people is proving difficult
More like for engineers it's a case of 'they can do it or they cant', but for business people it's a harder thing to find someone who knows their shit. As I say, network network network.

Overall, if it's a good startup doing work you're interested in, I'd say absolutely, go for it. You'll work like a dog, but you'll learn tons. Stay for a year and see how you like it, then you can go somewhere more corporate if you like. Can't guarantee the pay will be great, but fuck it.
>>
>>1493321
Thanks m8. Honestly unless you have some romantic idea of going to silicone valley I'd say stay in Dublin. Industry is only going up.
>>
>>1493328
No worries. Hope the business works out in the end.

Nah, I've had enough of Dublin. Plenty of jobs here, but just want to see more of the world. Somewhere with cheaper rent wouldn't hurt either.

Austin and Berlin are both looking like good options, but I'll see what the job markets there are like
>>
Hong Kong is full of nigger teir people and everything else. Don't go there
>>
>>1493334
If you can manage it I'd definitely recommend Berlin.
>>
File: 1470943824663.jpg (37KB, 440x386px) Image search: [Google]
1470943824663.jpg
37KB, 440x386px
>>1493303
>Unpaid overtime is standard.
> There is a Japanese word that translates to "suicide due to overworking."
> Start-ups might be different
>>
Toronto
>>
Shenzhen is the hardware capital of the world.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.