[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INFORMATION SYSTEMS STARTUPS/ENTREPRENEUR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_n50vspN6II1qe31lco1_540.jpg (78KB, 540x407px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n50vspN6II1qe31lco1_540.jpg
78KB, 540x407px
With a commerce degree concentrating in Information Systems what would be the best way to get involved into startups which way should I approach it.

As it stands i'm graduating with an understanding of java and app development as well as many enterprise systems but I will not have nearly as much technical knowledge in regards to programming as a computer science grad would have. Do I stand a chance?

How would I approach it?
>>
>>1492022
Get some experience, figure out a gap in the market, start a company, hire people to do what you can't. I think that about covers it.
>>
File: tumblr_o193lvo5Mh1u4tvlro1_540.jpg (102KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o193lvo5Mh1u4tvlro1_540.jpg
102KB, 540x810px
>>1492028
I just feel so limited now that i've done Information Systems. Wishing I could go into heavy programming or something.

It's also uncommon so I have to explain it to everyone which makes it even worse.
>>
>>1492022
Do you want to start one or join one? To join one look for smaller ones that are having trouble getting off the ground and are mostly composed of people with technical backgrounds. Pitch yourself as a person that has a business background so you can find ways to better monetize, promote and secure funding for the startup but that also has a good understanding of the technical aspects and can lend a hand in development if it's necessary.
>>
>>1492022
Should of done CS if you wanted to program and create shit.
Info systems is more business, consulting and analytics shit.
>>
File: east_german_computer.jpg (150KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
east_german_computer.jpg
150KB, 1280x960px
I've actually had an idea for a business that might fit your qualifications. I've done computer repair practically all of my life, but I don't get much experience with enterprise systems which is what this would focus on, especially legacy ones. I don't think I'm ever going to get around to trying it and I have no /biz/ startup experience.

I'm not privy to how /biz/niz works around here. Do you want me to spill the idea on the board or is there some other app you want me to pitch it to you through?
>>
>>1492028
>Get some experience
How do you mean?
>>
>>1492230
>being afraid someone is going to take your idea

spill it
>>
File: I5-570.jpg (134KB, 800x598px)
I5-570.jpg
134KB, 800x598px
>>1492511
Not afraid for myself, but I wasn't sure whether OP would want me to or not. Either way, he's not responding and as I said you'd need experience with those systems to pull it off so here it goes!

So, there's a lot of big corporations out there that still run on a lot of their operations off of IBM System i servers that have lived on essentially unchanged since the late 1980's. In some cases this is fine because their system is designed around that base and it's a robust system so it's just cheaper to keep it running. However, some of these business' have upgraded most of their workforce with Win 7 or Mac OSX desktops and laptops. The job of integrating these two systems usually falls on the in-house IT who are not even remotely trained to handle that bullshit. As such they usually just install IBM's emulator that they make for Windows (I have no idea what the Mac guys do), but IBM has already stated that they have no intention of providing support for said emulator past Win 7. This, mixed with the fact that the upper management in these businesses get swindled into buying Windows Server and Microsoft SharePoint with their Win 7 Enterprise licenses, makes for an absolute cluster fuck when it comes to systems, and often employees, trying to communicate with one another.

If someone could build a business that specializes in consulting with places like these, gives them a plan for integration and slowly phasing out the old systems while introducing the new one, prices it out, and executes it I think there could be some money made. It would take some work to develop a system to pull it off reliably, but I think it could be possible with a team that has the right skill sets.

TL;DR You consult other business' on updating a phasing out legacy systems and equipment.
>>
>>1492550
Sounds like you have a valid idea.
>>
>>1492479
uhhh how about get a job??
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.