[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /biz/ think about Antifragility & Nassim Taleb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

If you don't know anything about it watch this small video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MhC5tcEv0
>>
Sum it up OP. What the fuck is this guys main point. That video was unwatchable.
>>
>>1490967
Taleb is based.
>>
File: Antifragile-3.jpg (147KB, 550x493px) Image search: [Google]
Antifragile-3.jpg
147KB, 550x493px
>>1491311
so his main idea is that there is a metric nobody uses:
Fragile: you lose once it gets bumpy. (for example big banks)
Robust: you can survive volatility/bumpyness.

And Antifragility: You win when shit hits the fan.

And his overall main point from the previous books(The Black Swan, for example) is that the future is far less predictable than we think. So we should not try to guess what the future will be, but instead try to prepare for shit hitting the fan.

His more famous book The Black Swan was released during the financial crisis when he made a shitton of money following his own logic.
He didnt prepare for one certain thing to crash, he prepared for high volatility and won big.
>>
Just finished Fooled by randomness and Black Swan, starting Anti-fragile.

Best books i've ever read.
>>
>>1491343
very interesting. Anyone who trades should love volatility because that's where our money comes from. I'll check his stuff out, thanks OP.
>>
...I sure hope that no self-respecting publisher or author would post shill threads on 4chan...

This dude I know who is a multi-millionaire ortho surgeon recommended that I read Taleb since I'm a philosophy buff. I don't know if Taleb is just into self-help or if he's into hardcore philosophy, but I trust the recommendation.

Not gonna watch the video but will consider picking up the book.

...I sure hope that no self-respecting publisher or author would post shill threads on 4chan...
>>
>>1491343
>he prepared for high volatility and won big.

OK, well tell us the good part then...how the fuck did he do it?
>>
File: 1469738781080.gif (159KB, 220x260px) Image search: [Google]
1469738781080.gif
159KB, 220x260px
>>1491466
>...I sure hope that no self-respecting publisher or author would post shill threads on 4chan...

nah man, just bought the audiobook and really like his idea.
Its one of these mind blowing books that open a completely new perspective on things, I was just curious what you guys thought.

>>1491499
dunno. Its not a guide.
Its more philosophy than finance.
>>
>>1491466
Are you out of your mind? You really think a someone who runs a successful options trading business, made hundreds of millions shorting the market before the crash, gives google talks, wrote best selling books would be shilling on 4chan?

No it's not a self help. Do yourself a favor and get fooled by randomness used on amazon.
>>
>>1491466
Are you serious faggot? You think Taleb is posting here? Here is a well known academic, not some obscure peabrain.
>>
>>1490967
I'm a fan. His ideas are good and he presents them in this kind of rambling, multifaceted style that I really enjoy.
>>
>>1491508
the 'barbell' approach (invest some in status quo, some in tail events, but nothing in halfway scenarios) is actually pretty good advice, vague though it may be.

>>1491499
His advice for retail investors (post QE) was to invest in farmland.
>>
File: 1408146135471.jpg (121KB, 753x724px) Image search: [Google]
1408146135471.jpg
121KB, 753x724px
>Antifragility
So his advice is to... hedge? Wow, what a fucking novel idea.
>>
>>1493589
No who said anything about hedging? Looks like you totally missed the point.
>>
>>1493595
Okay genius, how else do you gain from unpredictable volatility?
>>
>>1490967
Antifragile was pretty meh desu. The premise can be summed up as "adaptability is good". Literally that's it, it takes him a couple hundred pages (during most of which he seems more concerned with letting the reader know how well educated and well read he is) to explain that systems that can react favorably to large, unforeseen shocks and as result of correcting small frequent mistakes will ultimately perform better than systems which seek to avoid errors altogether (as when they eventually run into large problems they have no means to overcome them). The books major failing is that he doesn't explain how to create an antifragile system, he can only give some examples of already existing ones. Ultimately while its a pretty idea, without any means to implement it it's pretty useless. Taleb isn't a hack or anything but the book is a bit over-rated.
>>
>>1493601
By being an opportunist.

>stocks drop
>buy the dip
>stocks go back up

not a complicated concept...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.