[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about college.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1472941202918.jpg (43KB, 600x469px) Image search: [Google]
1472941202918.jpg
43KB, 600x469px
Is college worth it? It seems like you can't make it anywhere without a degree, but I don't want to go into debt.

I'm 18 living at home. Would it be a good idea to work for like 2 years saving every penny (around 22-23 thousand total) and then go instead of burying myself with loans?

I don't really have an idea of what to get a degree in, so I plan on doing research for awhile until I know. After all I have 2 years to figure it out.
>>
>>1489400
If I could do it all over again, I would work my ass off after highschool. Working full time and living at home, there's no reason you can't be making 40k and saving at least 20k of that per year. After you get burnt out from doing entry-level or blue collar work, go to college or get certified in something better. College is so expensive and everyone has a degree... it's no guarantee of a stable or successful future. I would only go if you know for sure what you want to do. For example, my girlfriend has known what she wanted to do since she was very young. The only way to do this was to go to college, so it was worth it for her. For myself, to get into IT you don't need a degree, you may just need experience and some certifications.
>>
File: 1472973133635.jpg (578KB, 1200x941px) Image search: [Google]
1472973133635.jpg
578KB, 1200x941px
>>1489400
I've been thinking about this for two years, became sort of a thing on 4chan because I made videos on whether or not college was worth it and why etc etc, what majors were worthwhile etc specifically for poor NEETs, shit like that. it was comfy.

You can start a business if you have an actual idea(you probably don't), go to university, or work menial jobs(best bet would be sales, which sucks)

If you have to pay more than about $10,000 per year, it's not worth it unless it's something like top 20 internationally.

If you were to work for two years flipping burgers, you'd come out with ~$20,000. The problem is that I don't know what universities you're considering, how much you'll have to pay etc. If we were to consider if making ~$12,000 is worth the time, then I would say no it absolutely isn't. One year of your life is worth more than $12,000, and you should go to university as soon as you figure what you want to do.

If you wanted to become a doctor, you could be a surgeon by ~30-31 years old if you went to university now, making $400,000+ each year, or a primary care doctor at about 28. You could be an engineer by ~22-23 making $65,000+ each year. You could be working in a post-doc as a physicist in your late 20s.

I wouldn't waste my time working some shitty job. Trust me. You'll say this now, and then you'll look back 4 years from now still living with mom wondering why you wasted your time. You're not going to learn much with this soul-searching shit. The time WILL pass, and you WILL look back wishing you just did something good and shut the fuck up about it. I've met loads of middle aged guys that say it feels like yesterday that they were just out of high school. Time is precious and you should go to school and get your life started. Don't fall for this soul searching shit. It's not that hard to figure out.
>>
If you're serious about figuring out what you want to do, I would highly suggest you somehow find people to shadow. If you think engineering sounds cool, find some engineers in your area and ask if you can shadow them. You just walk around with them and watch what they do for the day, maybe an hour or two, whatever. If you think being a doctor would be a good thing to do, find some doctors in your area at the local hospital, private practice, whatever you can find and see what they actually do each day. You can do this with any profession. People are more than happy to show you how awesome their job is, or how awesome at least THEY THINK their job is.

That's easily the best way to "figure out" what you want to do without just going to university, taking classes, and finding what intrigues you specifically.

I honestly wish that it was almost like a requirement in high school to shadow professionals to get an idea of what you want to do when you're out of high school. It would help a lot of people. All you do is stay out of their way and let them do their job. They might tell you what they're doing, or even let you help in some intern-y way on something that isn't too important.
>>1489411
This is what some people will say, but I don't agree with it anymore. You can do this, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't waste my time.
>>
>>1489400
Forget what poor fags who work at retail tell you about "My friend got a degree and still cant find a job", it is a magnitude harder to get a decent job with no degree. Fuck student debt, it barely matters.
>>
>>1489425
That's why you don't just flip burgers for a year...

Working many jobs will pay more than that. Waiter, delivery driver, or skilled labor will all pull in $20/hr no problem. Add on some overtime and you could really put away a nice chunk.
>>
>>1489458
>find people to shadow

I would 100% recommend this. People are usually flattered.
>>
>>1489400
>Is college worth it? It seems like you can't make it anywhere without a degree, but I don't want to go into debt.

Go to a good state school, not a private school.

Apply to all government grants you can.

If you can't afford 4-5 classes a semester without massive debt, take 2 or 3 classes a semester.

Look at job placement rates of majors, starting/mid-career salaries etc. Then see what you like. If chemical engineers make slightly less than programmers, but you love chemical engineering and hate programming, then be a chemical engineer.

Then again, all majors which pay are kind of hard. That's why CS majors make more than drama majors.
>>
File: 1450633182208.jpg (18KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1450633182208.jpg
18KB, 400x550px
>>
>>1489470
We're going off of what OP is saying they would make, not you. The information he has given us is pretty minimal.
>>
>>1489528
Yes sir. Sorry for deviating from the strict rules our OP has set forth, sir. I won't do it again sir.
>>
>>1489531
I've already posted that I don't agree with what you're saying, so what exactly did you expect?
>>
>>1489537
Sorry sir, I didn't realize two people could have two different opinions. I won't do it again.
>>
>>1489581
So, if that's the case, your silly posts don't make any sense and make you look like an idiot.
>>
>>1489606
Yes sir I guess you are correct sir :(

I am just a fool sir...
>>
>>1489609
Why do you keep posting this shit? All we're doing is bumping the thread.
>>
>go to college
>take out 200k student loan
>default on it along with million of others
>cause stock market crash
>become slave-soldier
>???
>PROFIT!
>>
>>1489619
>default
>on student loan

No senpai, unless you go full hobo for the rest of your life or move to a non-extradition country you are paying that bill.

Bankruptcy will not wash it away.
>>
>>1489619
>default on it

Hah, nice one Anon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.