[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Copper theft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Copper-Theft.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Copper-Theft.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
With construction at an all time high, would copper theft be a sound side job?

working as a 1st year plumber before I got laid off, I was instructed to rip out all the old copper from walls and cut them into uniform bits, I had to rip out thousands of dollars worth everyday.

Copper is 1.77$ a pound, every house getting renovated is fenced off but their old plumbing systems are ripe for the taking.

I could probably net 200$ a sortie with a sawzall, hockey bag, and a car.

Scrap metal buyers are required by law to send reports to the police and are required to see ID. I could make a nest egg and sell everything once the heat dies down.

Would this be a viable side quest?
>>
>>1483465

Depends on your area and if your construction employs any sort of armed security.

Doesn't matter if it's legal for them to shoot you if they blow your ass away over some wire, yeah?
>>
A lot of copper is traceable now.

>http://www.southwire.com/distribution/ProofPositiveCopper.htm
>>
>>1483467

I live in no guns land so no castle doctrine rules and I'm talking about residential houses that are empty.

They aren't guarded but they are fenced.
>>
>>1483465
That's a crime, so no.

Copper theft is pretty much exclusively the domain of weird meth heads where I come from, and it has resulted in the following:
1) Security guards being posted on properties
2) If not (1), then angry homeowners with guns (true story)
3) If not (1) or (2), then other meth heads trying to steal power cables or plumbing.
4) Multiple deaths from idiots who touch live wires.

Also, you're assuming other people haven't tried this. It's not like scrap metal buyers wouldn't be suspicious that some new random dude unaffiliated with a local construction project would mysteriously show up with hundreds of pounds of copper.
>>
>>1483475
>>http://www.southwire.com/distribution/ProofPositiveCopper.htm

That's for copper wire only which is only .55 a pound anyway.
>>
>>1483477

If you've done your recon and you are SURE they are empty when you make your move (be wary of other forms of surveillance, of course), I don't see why not.

Even if your country does not have guns, people can have bats.
>>
>>1483478

"""Hey man, I'm just a 1st year plumber that's DIYing my house's plumbing by getting rid of the copper and installing new Pex piping"""
>>
>>1483482

There's a house besides mine that's abandoned. I got bored last night and just climbed through the open window. It was completely unguarded (Usually, guards are employed to watch big projects, not lil residential renos)

The basement was packed with copper piping but I couldn't do anything about it, too close to the crime scene.
>>
>>1483475
>A lot of copper is traceable now.
That is why you build a backyard smelter. Anyway, the price of copper is too low these days.
>>
>>1483465
They ID you at every yard so spreading your copper out wont even help unless you make a bunch of fake IDs.

You might can try to make friends with the yard owner and maybe he will buy it from you under the table.

My cousin got arrested stealing copper from someones basement, Neighbors saw him and called the cops, Better work on your sneak skill if you want to do burglar shit.
>>
>>1483465
fuck that respect yourself and don't go a route that is for gypsies only. The amount of money is probably not worth the risk.
>>
>>1483688
Most states (op didn't say what state they're in,) require smelted or ingotized copper to have a chain of custody with points of contact. One of my coworkers has a backyard smelter (25kg crucible, big for a backyard unit) that he processes various scraps from his brother in law. The stuff that he doesn't use himself for casting he sells to one of the local scrap yards. They require an affidavit from him every time, specifying the weight of the metal, source of the metal, previous owner of the metal, and that owner's contact information.

Also
>ITT: nigger tier crime is somehow /biz/ related
>>
>>1484245

Funny enough, my plumbing instructor told me about his copper selling days, told us all to park away from the place so to not have your tags identified through CCTV and give them a fake ID.

>>1484513
>>1484550

Niggertier crime but it's only a side job, 200$ a night on my off days doesn't sound too bad.

>>1484245

I'm thinking of a redlight filter for my flashlight and a very quiet sawzawl, I might do it on sunday mornings as to not rouse suspicion and have a portable police scanner in my pocket with one ear jack in my ear.
>>
>>1484647

Or better yet, I can find a bolt cutter which is much quicker and silent than a sawzall.
>>
>>1484647
>Niggertier crime but it's only a side job, 200$ a night on my off days doesn't sound too bad.
What state? If it's SC, is that $200 a night worth a year or more in prison, plus fines, plus losing any professional license which may encounter scrap?

Then again, you're already nigger tier stupid for this thread, so I shouldn't even bother.
>>
>>1484647
They scan the barcode on the back when they card you so the barcode info has to check out.

I think the scrap yards may even have access to the DMV database.
>>
>>1485017

I'm not even in the US, nigger.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.