[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

parents dead, inherited everything, what do i do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Gordon-Ramsay-007.jpg (30KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Gordon-Ramsay-007.jpg
30KB, 460x276px
So, last month I inherited everything from my late father who was very successful but ended up dying of heart failure while on some trip to australia. I'm 21, first year at uni for physics, and know absolutely nothing about money/business/finance or whatever. What do I need to know? I'm an only child and my mother died a few years before from breast cancer and he was really depressed over it, which makes me think he actually killed himself while on some spiritual australian outback trip or some shit like that. I got the house, the cash, the guns, cars, everything in a will he wrote that comes out to an amount in the lower eight digits (which makes me think he did kill himself writing a will at 59 after my mom died and him dying only three years later)
>>
10+ million gbp, usd or aud?

lulz. whatever it is, it's enough. you don't need to worry about shit. just put everything into a vanguard index fund and live normally.
>>
>parents dead - check
>inherited everything - check
>family history of mental illness - check
Become Batman.
>>
if you're serious about this go on /r/personalfinance
>>
>>1479791
USD. I'm from the USA.
>a vanguard index fund
like i don't even know what that is dude. i don't know what it is or why i should do that

the only thing I didn't get was jewelry that apparently my mother wanted to go to some of my neices, but that's it. I got everything.
>>1479802
i never saw any sort of mental illness, but my parents had something really swell and I think he just put all of his cards into their relationship. she had breast cancer for years so I guess he was just waiting out the clock and then getting the balls do end it. I don't know. it's just my theory but my dad wasn't in the worst shape so heart failure is a bit sketchy at 63. all of my relatives have lived to very old ages so this is why I think he offed himself and my mom was just unlucky like lots of women with breast cancer.
>>
>>1479815
Index funds are risky as shit mate. Its basically a get rich quick scam. Invest it all in amd and thank me later
>>
>>1479815
>>a vanguard index fund
>like i don't even know what that is dude. i don't know what it is or why i should do that
Vanguard is a company. An index is a grouping of financial instruments. And a fund is something that you (and other people) can put money in where the fund managers do all the buying and selling. An index fund is a fund that tries to follow an index.

For now i suggest you invest the money to give a nice income for the rest of your (and your future heirs) live. Since you have no experience with financial markets the best way to do that is throught various funds. I heard that Vanguard is for funds but i have no experience with them.

www.investopedia.com got a nice list of various terms that may be usefull. You should start by reading up on different asset classes and the risk assiociated with them.

If you think this is to hard for you, talk to a financial advisor. Someone with the right certifications would be preferable.

Some more rules to adhere to:
>Invest first, spend later.
>Always keep 6-12 months of living expenses in an easily reachable savings account.
>Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Spread your money over different asset classes, funds and different banks/brokers.

That's all i can think of for now.
>>
>>1479815
>Doesn't know what an index fund is
With that much money you might be better off hiring a money manager and letting them handle the money for you.
>>
>>1479791
Assuming this isn't a troll post, get a probate lawyer to handle obtaining everything. Then find an investment advisor who has a fiduciary duty to you. If they get at all evasive, or tell you they do not have a fiduciary duty to you, walk away. It's a scam/meme fund guy who will rape you.

A relatively diverse portfolio, with a lot in shit like the S&P 500 is probably what you will end up going with. You'll want a few years 'emergency' money set aside if/when the economy implodes, but the rest of it should just sit in your passive investments to let you live off of it, and automatically handle reinvesting anything you aren't using. Spend the money now and get someone to properly wrap shit up so that you are judgement proof, and tadaah; you've got a "fuck you" fund for the rest of your natural life. Don't touch it for anything, and I mean anything.

As long as you only live off the proceeds, and never touch that investment for anything else, you have the financial freedom to do whatever you want. It may be tempting to dip into it and start a business. Don't. If your business is successful, it will be successful without risking your ability to walk away from the ashes of anything you do in life. Same applies to working any typical job. Don't like your boss? Your coworker smells, or is just a general pain in the ass to be around? You can walk out without a single care in the world. Never give that power up.

Never tell anyone how much money you have, because some cunt is going to try and take it from you. This is why you want to be judgement proof to begin with, just in case someone does figure it out. Live comfortably, and well. Make yourself happy. The opinions of others no longer matter. Don't buy flashy shit to impress them. You don't care about them. They can't hurt you anymore, so they are literally beneath your contempt.
>>
Make sure your good in probate.

Pay the death taxes

If you are not going to live there. Sell the house.

Get a good feeling based fiduciary financial planer who is at the very least a CFP.

keep a few of the heirlooms and sentimental items.

Liquidate the rest unless it is income generating real estate.

Thank your parents every night you pray for setting you up to have a debt free generational income.

Perdue your passion
>>
>>1479791
RE writing a will after the death if a spouse is par for the course. And indicates your father had sound legal advice or acumen
>>
Get an attorney to make sure you don't fuck anything up with the estate taxes. Ask the attorney for the names of a few financial advisors and then research them. You have to spend some money on these professionals to protect the rest of the money.

Sorry for your loss.
>>
File: dip.png (284KB, 588x614px) Image search: [Google]
dip.png
284KB, 588x614px
>>1479791
buy the dip
>>
>>1479791
Put most of it in Gold and Silver seriously. Physical. Keep it at home and not in a bank.

Besides that put some in silver mining stocks. Sell these when prices increase. Then take the earnings and after the stock market crash put it in vanguard funds like the Anons are saying.

Don't start doing drugs and literally blow it all.
>>
Assuming you're American wait 1-2 more years and buy farmland. Hold it for life and cash rent it. You are now either independently wealthy or have a substantial income supplement, plus retirement income is already provided for.

t. Inherited farmland
>>
Don't go to biz and find a reliable financial advisor and a lawyer.

If those don't sound good enough to you, but Trumpcoin and everything will solve itself.
>>
>>1480380
>buying a bubble
>>
>>1479791
If I were in your position, I would hire someone to take care of your finance rather than posting this on a image board filled with kids, NEETs and poor fags.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.