[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

INFORMATION SYSTEMS.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Can we get an information systems thread?

Who else is in this study and what direction are you trying to take your life.

Currently starting my third year at a Canadian university and starting into my IS concentration.

Thanks.
>>
IS is all about experience. Also, it's important to get some good certifications (MCSE, CCNA, ITIL Foundation etc.). You'll probably start at a help desk somewhere, but if you get those certs you'll move up relatively fast. Since a tonne of that stuff is moving overseas and turning into "the cloud", I recommend also learning a tonne about virtualization and coding.
>>
>>1478121
I am. At my college we focus on database design mostly using ERP systems SAP and Oracle. We have one of the best hiring rates in the college with avg starting no experience jobs of 50k.
>>
My 2 cents to people wanting to become network admins -
Well I fineshed my local college essentially for a network administrator, they taugh me to ~ MCSA, CCNA, basic linux (console, user premissions etc) and some other stuff. And it's absolute shit and one if not the worst choices I made in my life, I think.

To find a work seems to be almost impossible task since every employer wants me to not only know their own bullshit software (that really isn't hard or anything) and refuse to give me a chance even though I'm fast learner and could handle it... I mean I was called to an interview only few times during a whole year.

Also it feels like weird middle ground between when you are a beginner and you have to work as a tech support since you're not really qualified to do other stuff, and yet not qualified enough so you actually make the cut to most vacant system/network administrator positions that are open. 10/10 m8's, if you plan to go this route, don't stop at ccna, go straight ccnp and get those greasy voice and security certificates too - otherwise you'll probably end up like me with no job in slightly over a year now.

Feels bad to waste time like that since I completely lost my interest in IT alltogether during that time. In retrospect I think going to study finances/statistics would've been much better for me, considering I initially went into IT because I wanted a "human interaction free" job that pays well.
>>
I've been doing an inhouse support role that includes everything from 1st line support to top level network administration.

I'm beginning to hate my life, what career could I migrate to? I have no passion in life.
>>
File: 1464277988019.jpg (48KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464277988019.jpg
48KB, 460x500px
>>1478121
I graduated with a finance degree in 2014 and hated it, now trying to make the jump to IT. Right now I am working as a consultant and being mentored a few times a week (basically an informal internship) while I study for some certifications. I plan on doing Linux Essentials next week, then probably on to cloud+ followed by LPIC. Originally I was studying for A+, but got this consulting job. If I can avoid the help desk, I will. Trying to go full-time in a few weeks. I would really like so specialize in networking, virtualization, or cloud tech. If anyone has some experience or advice here I would love to here it.
>>
>>1478158
How are you having so much trouble getting work? I have literally no experience or certs and I've even got calls back for applications. Curious what you're doing...
>>
http://www.apamacommunity.com/

freemium version of a big pattern matching engine
>>
I went to college for philosophy and sociology with the initial plan to go into academia. I went to city university but I got top notch grades, special honors program, honors in both majors, I did really well. But I got cold feet as I neared graduation, and my mom worked at an insurance company doing forms analysis for their insurance policies. She basically got my resume on the desk of their IT department and they brought me on as an intern in IT business analysis. They hired me on permanently as an associate business analyst about five months later.

It's not quite systems analysis and it doesn't pay as well but it's pretty easy and the pay is decent ($55k/yr starting). I collect business requirements and translate them into functional requirements for their insurance policy administration system. I also do production support/triage, which is a glorified help desk role. I'm hoping to make a move in the direction of solutions architecture down the line. Anyway, it's pretty cushy, I recommend it.
>>
>>1478121
Graduated with an Information Systems degree in 2013. Now do consulting for a big 4 accounting firm. 8/10 would do again
>>
Just graduated, no certs.

Honestly have know clue wtf to do at all.
>>
>>1478835
Well the beauty of that is the fact that employers don't know what to do with you either. Just go apply for some shit job at some shit company that needs some computer shit working, they'll ask if you have experience with databases, programming, etc etc, and then when you officially start you get a 40k salary to change broken keyboards and plug in loose monitor cords
>>
>>1478850
That's kinda what I was expecting.
>>
>>1478221
I guess living in a 3rd world shithole doesn't help me much.
>>
>>1478800
What kind of consulting? Could you take us through an average day or week?
>>
>>1479805
Depends on the project, lately I consult on ERP implementations and create ICFR, SOX, or operational based IT controls. You need a good understanding of IT but my job is extremely people focused.

Would need a few hours and a few beers to take you through an average day.
>>
>>1478121
Nearly finished my second year with one more to go. I REALLY need to fix up my resume and apply for interships as one of my core units is to have a fucking internship or I cant graduate lol.
Have so far worked with SQL, SAP, COGNOS, Orange, Rapidminer etc I will try and get a microsoft cert for SQL & i did a web design subject as well. Majoring in Quant Analytics.

They tell us there is a high demand and has the highest paying grad roles.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.