[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get something made?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
I've got no manufacturing knowledge but I want a prototype made locally. It's a pretty simple mild steel "deep drawn" (I think) kitchen item.

How do I make this happen? Who do I need to approach who can exact plans for a mold/die/whatever and actually make it?

Pic mildly related
>>
just go to a machine shop.. just give them the specs of your item, negotiate prices and they will CNC or fabricate it for you
>>
Or google "custom metal fabrication." This stuff isn't that hard.
>>
>>1472727
Will my own layman's 2d back-of-envelope technical drawing be ok?
>>
>>1472727
Yea this, search somewhere in your town where they have a cnc mill.

You might also want to make a prototype of plastic, because it's so cheap and quick nowadays, just search for a 3d printer shop in your town and send your 3d model.

If you don't know how to make a 3d model, follow some tuts on youtube about 3d modeling software, something like solidworks or inventor.
>>
>>1472738
>>1472735

Here is a quick inventor CNC tutorial I did last year, you can do this after you're a bit familiar with inventor. (if you're interrested in learning)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVHSM/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-311E811B-D280-453A-B3C4-6EB27923C4FD
>>
>>1472735
yes it will work as long as you give the specifications and money. though its best advised to use a draft or a proper blueprint
>>
>>1472768
Is the 3D model just so they know exactly what they are supposed to make? I assume the cnc machine is to cut a stamp or die... I'm fairly certain the object I'm trying to make would never be cnc'd directly. it's basically a sheet metal vessel.
>>
>>1472813
Ye the 3d model is just an example, that's why you need to learn how to make a 3d model first.

For a prototype cnc is prob your best option, I'm not familiar with deep drawing, but this seems like a method only used for mass production.

This is just a thought, but you can maybe 3d print it and then cast it in aluminium somewhere else using the print for the mold.
>>
>>1472720
>locally
where would that be? here in germany it was quite easy to find firms that produce custom deepdraw tools. also what are you planning to produce, if it's not a secret?
>>
>>1472720
There are prototyping companies that help bring ideas to life. They can help with drawing up some design specs and determining which materials will be best. they usually also have connections to manufacturers so if you want to start mass producing they will connect you.

it's pretty expensive though, but that depends more on how complex it is what you're building.
>>
>>1472891
UK, not London... though I can travel. I considered telling you all what exactly it is but it sounds so basic I would have to explain how I think it would be profitable and give my niche away.

I don't think a cnc or plastic prototype would work... it's mostly empty space (couple mm thick vessel) and the feel and function of the product is based almost entirely on the weight and surface properties.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.