[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/entooman here. I quit my job today and proposed developing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: 1454110724442.jpg (27KB, 460x591px) Image search: [Google]
1454110724442.jpg
27KB, 460x591px
/g/entooman here. I quit my job today and proposed developing a new system for my current employer (the one im quiting from) going from lots of programs that written for the Borland database and machines that are running on 256Mb of ram to the current year. I guess the silicon board may not be the place to ask but I have the tech side covered but should I work in the company or develop the product and sell it as a contractor?
Does anyone have any kind of experience with this sort of thing?
I really like the people I work with but I just cant deal with working with COM port and increasing page file sizes to stop crashes and deal with the question of "Why" day after day. Im not really sure where to ask

I have a plan to cut the cost of hardware by about 60% and license fees to less than 10% of current cost but I dont know if I should step into the void and start my own company again or not.

/biz/ hlp.
>>
>>1461726
Absolutely come at it from the angle of a contractor. You will be able to bill out at a higher rate and not have to deal with any of the inner politics of working as an employee. You can also negotiate to retain some of the IP in case you want to pitch it to other companies. Create a proof of concept first and then if they are interested, they can decide if they want to pay a flat amount for finished project or pay a consulting fee per hour. You have a lot more leverage this way.
>>
File: snek.jpg (53KB, 505x800px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
53KB, 505x800px
>>1461736
This is some of the reasons im considering a contracting aspect, but the one thing I dont have is the time to get a full functioning product ready for sale and all the software being under the GNU/MIT license im not sure how the IP will work.
As another aspect the longest part of generating the software would be the database that the company already has and I could use and modify and cut time by at least 3 months.
Also as I have already resigned I have considered a rehire option with a negotiation of salary and hardware allowance as well as a paycheck. I have seen the other offerings for POS systems and the market is there but without an "IN" there is no way to compete with the current competition unless i have some old boy connections and I have none.
I am slightly biased because its a company of 25 or so people and has been around for 20 years but the new blood in charge is trained for restaurant management and not tech and I have found ways to address most of the faults in the system but I dont want to be blinded by emotion on a business opportunity that could make me lotsa emony.

I think your are right, but I have to keep my risk low.
>>
>>1461748
install gentoo then
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.