[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

473 Postal Exam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: usps-logo.png (51KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
usps-logo.png
51KB, 650x650px
So, I'm trying to get a job at the post office. I filled out the application online, and then get an email that tells me to take the "473 postal exam". I'm cautious, because if I fail, I have to wait 4 months to try again. So, I looked up a practice test to practice with. I found this page: http://usapostalexam.org/addresspractice.php and took the test.

To put it simply, the test kicked my ass. I got a 41. The average applicant gets a 61. In order to even be considered to get hired, I need a 70. (Technically not on this part, but the average of all the parts of the test, but it'd be nice to get above average on every part.) I've since taken the test 4 more times, and the highest I got is a 55. I don't have dyslexia or any learning disability, yet I fail this test. Strangely, I feel like I'm going fast, but I'm still scoring below average.

Is there some strategy or trick that I'm missing makes passing this test easy? Have post office workers always secretly been superhumans at quickly telling the difference between two addresses? Have I just secretly always been an idiot? I always got A's and B's in high school and university; (I'm trying to get a part-time job until I get a job that uses my degree.), and I've never felt so over-matched by a test before. I wonder if this is how kids who were bad at math felt when they took a math test in grade-school/high-school...

Any tips or advice or similar commiseration is welcome. (I apologize if this thread doesn't belong in /biz/. I'm not sure where else it should go.)
>>
>>1460535
ooo
if you want to really hate yourself
work at the usps
up to seven days a week, with no days off, up to 16 hour days everyday.
>>
>>1460535
Did you study at all...?
>>
>>1460566
true shit, my friends just quit working there.

Sucks ass, but the pay is damn good
>>
File: 1458747679957.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1458747679957.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>1460535
>Too dumb to deliver mail

You should consider sucking off the postman, deliver his package straight to uranus.
>>
>>1460584

>deliver his package straight to Uranus

Kek'd way harder than I should have
>>
>>1460566
I'm a young bachelor with no family, so I can handle the long hours. Also, they're paying $14-17/hr (depending on the position), so it beats working at Walmart for $9.50/hr.

Anyways, how the fuck do all the old women who run the post office get a job at the USPS if they can't pass the test? Or am I just so abnormally slow at this task that I'm slower than even them?
>>
>>1460584
Take the test in the original post's link and tell me what you get.
>>
>>1460599
you'll also have to work under people much fucking dumber than you due to unions and have to take their constant abuse

UNIONS FUCK EVERYTHING UP
>>
>>1460535
Get extra points on the postal exam.

That's the biggest help.
>>
op - i was stressed to shit when i took that test, but it's really not that hard. i got an 83 i think. there are some tricks to get a better score.

address checking is super easy
form completion is super easy
the coding is easy

memory is the hardest part

the trick is that the coding and memory use the same exact streets/ranges. so what you do is you memorize during the coding part (finish quick and then memorize until time runs out). then there is a gap where you won't see anything on the screen, but it waits for you to click "next" so you can literally just repeat all the shit over and over in your head for as long as you want until you've got it in your mind.

i think there might also be a practice exercise before the memory , which you can also use to memorize. might be the same ranges as on the actual exam, but i don't remember.

the actual exam is like a powerpoint slide show. so you hit next.
>>
>>1460535
Dude, it's a fucking test. Practice it over and over again and you can do just fine, like virtually any test.
>>
I'm under the impression that a shit ton of postal workers are ex-military, and they are preferred over all civilians as is the case with all federal jobs. US Post is going to be downsizing pretty soon anyway.

If you can get in, it would be OK but I'd be weary of making a career out of delivering mail They're thinking of cutting down delivery to only five days per week as it is. After we get that, it's going to be a slippery slope till we get to the point where mail carriers aren't needed at all.

It was my dream to work in the lost mail room before. Prob still not a bad idea considering package delivery is up.
>>
>>1460652
If the post office closes the entire "e-commerce" model will collapse overnight.

The only way that FedEx and UPS make any money is that they can either offload last mile delivery to the post office or they can handle last mile delivery themselves and avoid the logistics of carrying the package.

This is not even considering that most FedEx and UPS facilities would be unable to handle letters or other small belt incompatible items, as well the demands placed upon the remaining common carriers by Congress would be massive.

So don't count on it and don't hope for it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.